The answer to late game slowdown=?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

ImSorryISuck
Corporal
Human: Yes

Re: The answer to late game slowdown=?

Post by ImSorryISuck »

Kristijonas wrote:I think the problem is not unit count in garrisons but maybe some weird circular line of code there? Because otherwise garrison units are not that numerous throughout the world. Like up to 10,000? Probably much less. That's a lot less than total number of non-garrison units. Yet garrison units slow things down more than mobile units.
Anyway, that's interesting is that I'm not sure where the game is bottlenecking. My CPU use does not go over 40% even when I switch application to "realtime" priority. GPU is certainly not the culprit and RAM are aplenty and fast. Disk is SSD. Nothing seems to help. I've even bough an SSD disk and a faster CPU and neither helped basically at all.

Each garrison unit is a full battalion; 1000 men. The maximum each fully developed tile (one center building and six surrounding buildings) can garrison is 7 units, or 7000 men. Depending on how many buildings are constructed on the tile, the number of men ranges from a minimum of 3000, then to 5000, to a max of 7000. Whenever a country is at war, the AI tends to reinforce every single tile possible with a full complement.

Nations such as the US, Russia, China, India and Japan tend of have a large standing military because they have so many tiles that they fill with troops. In every save file of mine before editing garrisons the US has around three to four million men, Russia has 2.5 to four million men, China has three million, India has three to five million (depending on it's current economy/approval at the time) and Japan has two to three million men. After editing those nations, the game does not lag anymore since they rarely go above 1.2 million men unless they build a lot and deploy them all.

However, this leaves them open to unedited major nations or minor nations, which steam rolls through the land. Of course, the AI then proceeds to garrison everything and the cycle repeats.

It used to take me about three hours to pass one year in game. After I edit the nations, it would take me about 20 mins.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Maybe the game has trouble working with higher digits? :D Is there any long term improvement of performance when playing in shattered world scenario? Recently I played a game where Pakistan (who conquered India and other countries) was at war with Uzbekistan (who conquered China and other countries) and when Uzbekistan fell to Pakistan, suddenly game speed improved a lot.
ImSorryISuck
Corporal

Post by ImSorryISuck »

I found that if you enabled "Units eliminated when region falls" then the garrisons disappear. The conquering nation then has to have the available manpower to station troops there or it will be undefended until they recruit more men (which takes quite a while if their economy is bad and their approval is low.)

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”