Democracy & Alignment change

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Rhaycen
Major
Human: Yes

Democracy & Alignment change

Post by Rhaycen »

Maybe this is the first time I'm noticing this, but I don't seem to remember these extreme swings from the past.

When a democracy elects a new party, they seem to cancel all existing treaties and sometimes make a 180 degree swing in sphere.
The whole reason a democracy works in the real world is because they keep a certain level of continuity of government, if every democracy in the world just reversed course each time they had elections we'd all be living in perfectly stable dictatorships.

Is this a bug or a feature?
Zuikaku
General

Re: Democracy & Alignment change

Post by Zuikaku »

This is a feature and a good one.
Sphere shifts can actually change IRL after elections (e.g. Venezuela and Argentina "shifted spheres" after last elections).
Why it is a good feature:
- influencing government or opposition now do have sense
- sphere shifts are one of the way to start non scripted wars (which were non existant before)
- world is now more dynamic and interesting place to play
- government election loss does not automatically result in sphere shift
- relations may now change over the time
- AI can now break treaties from time to time and not just making new ones
Please teach AI everything!
JollyGoodBork
Captain

Post by JollyGoodBork »

+1 to this game mechanic! It's quite clever, although the change doesn't have to always be that strong, since that is not a common scenario.
Rhaycen
Major

Post by Rhaycen »

I'm not a huge fan, only the major nations seem mostly unaffected by this.

Can you imagine if half of Europe would switch between NATO & the Warsau Pact every election cycle. I don't think the cold war would have remained as cold.

I don't mind creating a mechanic that creates wars once in a while, but this constant switching of spheres and of course the dropping of all treaties is rather annoying.
It actually creates a situation where I go out of my way to remove (other) democracies from the world as they are unreliable partners. While dictators, monarchies and communism don't have that problem. I'm pretty much assuring a stable partner for a long time.
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Uriens »

It actually creates need to support another country's party that is loyal to you/your sphere instead of just sitting and waiting for results. Quite like real life politics would be. I support this feature as well.
JollyGoodBork
Captain

Post by JollyGoodBork »

yeah. How about a small change for every election? So that when a new party reaches government, there's a maybe 60 degree change in sphere, and they destroy all treaties with maybe two, three governments. Then if they win the next election too, it will be another 60 degree change and they destroy all treaties with a new government

If instead another party would win the second election, the progress will go back to the first sphere.
This would emulate a slow change in the foreign policies of a country, instead of great shifts.

However, coup d'etats should still make a huge change in alignment.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

JollyGoodBork wrote:+1 to this game mechanic! It's quite clever, although the change doesn't have to always be that strong, since that is not a common scenario.
Sometimes ithere is significant change and the other time it isn't.
Here are few example from my active game:
- Ethiopia changed government due to election loss and switched from blue to red sphere. It broke alliance with UK, resulting in war with UK
- Italy changed governmets a few times , and every time it switched sphere
- France and Germany remained in the same sphere (neutral and blue) even after few government changes
- Netherlands and Japan switched to the red sphere, but it took few government changes
- Mexico moved from blue sphere to neutral after series of elections
- Hungary remained in neutral sphere after series of government changes
- Sweden moved from red alligned to red leaning after government was reelected
- Some dictatorships (Iraq, Spain, Portugal) moved to neutral sphere after some time
- Belgium remained in blue sphere after series of government changes

I really like this system. :-) It is extremely fun to play, especially compared to previous one in which alliances and sphere membership was cemented for ever!

It woul'd be great to have ability to stage coups to turn democracy into dictatorship and vice versa :lol:
JollyGoodBork
Captain

Post by JollyGoodBork »

Zuikaku wrote:
JollyGoodBork wrote:+1 to this game mechanic! It's quite clever, although the change doesn't have to always be that strong, since that is not a common scenario.
Sometimes ithere is significant change and the other time it isn't.
Here are few example from my active game:
- Ethiopia changed government due to election loss and switched from blue to red sphere. It broke alliance with UK, resulting in war with UK
- Italy changed governmets a few times , and every time it switched sphere
- France and Germany remained in the same sphere (neutral and blue) even after few government changes
- Netherlands and Japan switched to the red sphere, but it took few government changes
- Mexico moved from blue sphere to neutral after series of elections
- Hungary remained in neutral sphere after series of government changes
- Sweden moved from red alligned to red leaning after government was reelected
- Some dictatorships (Iraq, Spain, Portugal) moved to neutral sphere after some time
- Belgium remained in blue sphere after series of government changes

I really like this system. :-) It is extremely fun to play, especially compared to previous one in which alliances and sphere membership was cemented for ever!

It woul'd be great to have ability to stage coups to turn democracy into dictatorship and vice versa :lol:
That is possible, Although the new government will always be a dictatorship. Alias you cannot turn a kingdom into a theocracy, and most annoying, the USSR cannot turn other states communist.

Also, why no fascist government type?
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

JollyGoodBork wrote: That is possible, Although the new government will always be a dictatorship.
How?? :o
JollyGoodBork wrote: Alias you cannot turn a kingdom into a theocracy, and most annoying, the USSR cannot turn other states communist.
yes, that is annoying...
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Zuikaku wrote:
JollyGoodBork wrote: That is possible, Although the new government will always be a dictatorship.
How?? :o
Seriously? :lol: Are you trolling? :D Or maybe you have a much deeper conception of coup than the one implemented? HUH
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
JollyGoodBork
Captain

Post by JollyGoodBork »

I really do hope they change it so that you can chose other governments than dictatorship after making a coup.
Getting to choose other forms of government would actually be VERY realistic (especially for cold war), would make it A LOT more useful (you get relationship bonuses/penalties depending on whether you and the target have the same government) and to me, much nicer.

Of course you cannot make a coup from democracy TO democracy, but all other ways should work.
New democracies could have an election very shortly after gaining power, and maybe even turn against the country who funded the coup.
The government of that country could also choose to become a dictatorship if they loose that first election (but that is already a feature yay :D)

There are examples of coups that turn a government from dictator to dictator, from dictator to democracy, from dictator to theocracy, from kingdom to communist, from communist to communist, from communist to democracy etc... and ALL of those within the timeline of this very game, from 1936 to 2020.

Like, why not?

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”