SR:U runs slow even though it does not utilize my PC resources.

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

SR:U runs slow even though it does not utilize my PC resources.

Post by Kristijonas »

I have:
i5 2500
R9 270x
8gb 1333mhz RAM in dual channel
Game and Windows installed on Intel SSD 330 256Gb with 50GB free space.
Running on Windows 10 64bit with latest updates and drivers.

I am running a game which is already in 2025, and it runs really slow even on fastest. However, when I check in task manager and other programs, it says only 30% of my CPU is utilized and I still have 5+ GB ram free and gpu load is up to 50% too.

How is this possible? What's bottlenecking my game? It's crazy fast (1 day= 1 second) in 1936 starting with everything disabled.
Zuikaku
General

Re: SR:U runs slow even though it does not utilize my PC resources.

Post by Zuikaku »

I can confirm serious slowdown of the game after longer gameplay.
In my 1936 game after 20 gameplay years (somewhere during 1955) speed dropped from 7-10 second per day (very fast speed) to almost a minute per day.

And since that on fastest speed setting game still runs smoothly, I presume this problem has something to do with units (and their calculations). I have noticed on map thousands of stranded units in no supply hexes, AI controlled regions tend not to sell, scrap or move to reserve older unit design (although they are not at war), and they continue to build units regardless of quantity they already have (there should really be some limitation connected with territory and population size coupled with selling/scrapping/phasing out older designs).
Please teach AI everything!
Astyle
Sergeant

Post by Astyle »

Kristijonas wrote:.....
I have not a super supr good pc, I7 3.2 ghz 4 core, 8 gb ram.
I did not want to buy this game because of this. This was in older versions the same issue.
But i have bought the game, to support Supreme Ruler, i hope they will fix this, or come with a good sollution.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Please define slow. How many seconds for a day to progress?

in terms of "how is this possible", consider 200+ AI regions controlling thousands of units, balancing an economy, trading, doing diplomacy and research while the engine figures out daily production, income and expenses, combat, spotting (even for units at peace), changing relations, events and lots of other stuff.

We could easily speed up the game if we dumb it down, but players continue to ask for more and more features, not less.

There is a reason most strategy games have a population/unit cap.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
BlackSoulReaper
Warrant Officer

Post by BlackSoulReaper »

Balthagor wrote:Please define slow. How many seconds for a day to progress?

in terms of "how is this possible", consider 200+ AI regions controlling thousands of units, balancing an economy, trading, doing diplomacy and research while the engine figures out daily production, income and expenses, combat, spotting (even for units at peace), changing relations, events and lots of other stuff.

We could easily speed up the game if we dumb it down, but players continue to ask for more and more features, not less.

I would pay for a slightly more dumbed down version for the sake of speed. Combat units/things is what slows down the game the most over a period of time, everything else is easy. If the game was set to 0 military fabs I am 100% certain that the game would move fast all the time. Units are the problem.
Last edited by BlackSoulReaper on Sep 04 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

60-80 seconds per day on very fast speed setting (10-15 on my system before the slowdown).

Also this slow down came instantly. the game was running well and then suddenly slowdown.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

It does not matter how slow it is, up to a minute I guess. What matters in my question, is, how is this possible if my CPU load is at 30% ? Why is it not working at 100%? I've even tried setting SRU.exe priority to realtime, it was still around 30% load. I understand what you are saying about here being LOTS of processes to process and that it could be the reason why the game is so slow, but that hypothesis cannot be correct if my processor is not even sweating. It would be correct if my game ran very slow while my processor was running at 100%. But it's not, so the problem is not that the computer cannot handle so much stress. It means the slowdown is probably in the code/software. I would really like to find out what the bottleneck is. I've checked every piece of my PC and there is nowhere I could find the bottleneck, so it must be in software?

Please do not listen to BlackSoulReaper, I'm pretty sure he's in the minority. I'd pay for a game expansion which would make the game even more difficult/complex and would ignore a dumbed down version. Supreme Ruler is a game that people choose BECAUSE of it's complexity. You lose that, then there's not a single reason why choose the game.
BlackSoulReaper
Warrant Officer

Post by BlackSoulReaper »

Kristijonas wrote: Please do not listen to BlackSoulReaper, I'm pretty sure he's in the minority. I'd pay for a game expansion which would make the game even more difficult/complex and would ignore a dumbed down version. Supreme Ruler is a game that people choose BECAUSE of it's complexity. You lose that, then there's not a single reason why choose the game.
Incorrect. I'd pay for a game that makes it more complex also, but I also read the forums and understand that SRU team is extremely low on manpower (Only 1 coder). An expansion to this game isn't going to happen. Patches are going to be few and far in between. The reality is that there needs to be more fixes on performance of the game rather than any expansion of features. Game Speed is the one key issues that makes the game unplayable only after a few years. Other games group these units into brigades and such to make it have less calculations, they may help improve performance but yes we will need to 'dump it down' by not having every single unit moving individually on the globe. I do agree with your original statement though. Supreme ruler doesn't exhaust my processor. I stay at a nice 25% when it's chucking along. It's more like the game engine isn't able to keep up with strong processors. This is why I say, no matter how good your equipment is... It won't matter as much in the end.
27gv
Sergeant

Post by 27gv »

I suppose you could program in a virtual cap by making armies larger than those in reality a way of dooming your economy.

Unfortunately I think a big studio could solve this problem quickly - must take much more processor power to render a HD graphic sandbox game. However I hate to imagine what that would resemble in gameplay.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

BlackSoulReaper wrote:

I would pay for a slightly more dumbed down version for the sake of speed. Combat units/things is what slows down the game the most over a period of time, everything else is easy. If the game was set to 0 military fabs I am 100% certain that the game would move fast all the time. Units are the problem.
What are you talking about?! You get your "dumbed down" version everytime you hit the fastest speed. On fastest speed unit and other calculations are seriously reduced and simplified.

So, basically, you've been asking for something that already exist :D
GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by GreenGoblin »

You are not having 30% CPU usage.

1) Start task manager and get the graph going.

2) Open the game a play for a few minutes.

3) Alt-tab back to the task manager. You will see that when you were in the game, the CPU usage was much higher.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Zuikaku wrote:

60-80 seconds per day on very fast speed setting (10-15 on my system before the slowdown).

Also this slow down came instantly. the game was running well and then suddenly slowdown.
Okay, can I get a copy of your savegame please? Ticket 21184, please zip the file.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:
Zuikaku wrote:

Okay, can I get a copy of your savegame please? Ticket 21184, please zip the file.
Sent with some difficulties :oops:
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Okay, you sent me two savegames, a "before" and and "after". I get 8 sec/day on the before and 11 sec/day on the after.

Got anything else?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:Okay, you sent me two savegames, a "before" and and "after". I get 8 sec/day on the before and 11 sec/day on the after.

Got anything else?
On fastest or very fast speed?

On fastest I too get under 10sec per day. But I tend to play on very fast (all calculations included). There I get 20sec/day before and over the minute/day after.

If everything is working well at your PC, then the problem is obviously in my system so... please ,forget everything I wrote and I apologise for raising false alarm.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”