Fog of war

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Fog of war

Post by GreenGoblin »

Does fog of war affect game speed?
Fistalis
General

Re: Fog of war

Post by Fistalis »

GreenGoblin wrote:Does fog of war affect game speed?
Very much so since without it there is no need for spotting calculations which is one of the more processor intensive functions given that it is continuously updated for EVERY active unit/building etc. This can be tested easily by turning it on/off via the cheat menu.

As a matter of fact Many times when trying to test longer term changes to mods that didn't directly involve the performance of units I would run this way to test my mods. (This can drastically effect the outcome of wars etc though so for anything involving Unit performance this completely alters how the game plays out)

Edit: Since i'm not a dev one of BG is more than free to confirm my post for the non believers.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

I always thought disabling fog of war would massivelly decrease performance :o because more units would be showing on the map = more processing required (or is it only more processing required for the GPU?)
GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by GreenGoblin »

Fistalis wrote:
GreenGoblin wrote:Does fog of war affect game speed?
Very much so since without it there is no need for spotting calculations which is one of the more processor intensive functions given that it is continuously updated for EVERY active unit/building etc. This can be tested easily by turning it on/off via the cheat menu.

As a matter of fact Many times when trying to test longer term changes to mods that didn't directly involve the performance of units I would run this way to test my mods. (This can drastically effect the outcome of wars etc though so for anything involving Unit performance this completely alters how the game plays out)

Edit: Since i'm not a dev one of BG is more than free to confirm my post for the non believers.
Thanks.
oberkommando
Major

Post by oberkommando »

Kristijonas wrote:I always thought disabling fog of war would massivelly decrease performance :o because more units would be showing on the map = more processing required (or is it only more processing required for the GPU?)
LOL this was my same thought... :roll:
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Kristijonas wrote:I always thought disabling fog of war would massivelly decrease performance :o because more units would be showing on the map = more processing required (or is it only more processing required for the GPU?)
Graphical performance can/will suffer because of it.. but overall game speed is increased. Now I suppose in cases of integrated GPUs you might actually LOSE overall speed with this. But for most of us with a semi modern GPU SR hardly even registers as a sneeze in comparison to what the GPUs are capable of.

You may see increased choppiness and decreased performance while scrolling etc due to added strain on the graphics portion of the game.. but overall game speed will increase in 90% of cases. Again those with integrated GPUs are actually taxing the CPU with their graphics as well so in those outlying cases you may see something totally different. I can only speak to my experience on a system with discrete CPU and GPUs.

And with my system the difference in speed was enough that for LONG tests that DID NOT INVOLVE testing war outcomes turning off fog of war for the test was a no brainer. Since again.. turning off spotting which is a MAJOR component of how units perform will alter many outcomes in combat.

TLDR version: With fog of war off you're reducing CPU load while increasing GPU load.. which in most cases will result in faster game progress since game speed in SR is generally bottlenecked by the CPU.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
PyongYang
Colonel

Post by PyongYang »

I'm confused. So are you saying, with fog of war ON, the game will run slower?
Cutlass
Major

Post by Cutlass »

That is correct.
Proud member of the Spherical World Association. An organization dedicated to encouraging game designers to create state of the art strategy games in which the actual shape of the world is used.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Cutlass wrote:That is correct.
+1
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”