How to Prevent AI Units from Moving?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Xenos_IO26
Corporal
Human: Yes

How to Prevent AI Units from Moving?

Post by Xenos_IO26 »

Hey everyone,

Role playing is my favourite aspect of SR, and placing AI units at certain spots is vital to that.

I am a huge fan of SR2020 (its historic sequels didn't really appeal to me) and this could easily be done in that game. I would log into other countries through MP mode, and change their military initiatives to "None". I have tried doing the same in SR Ultimate, but to no avail. After a couple of days, AI countries would move their units or put them back into reserve. This basically makes the game unplayable to me.

Is there anyway to prevent AI countries from moving their units in this game? Thanks.
burock82
Lt. Colonel

Re: How to Prevent AI Units from Moving?

Post by burock82 »

yeah i would ask the same thing. If there is a way to make AI use its units more efficiently i will be glad to hear. But as far as i remember Devs were working on it but i could be wrong.

I dont want USSR sent its ship to my borders to patrol there. There should be some restrictions.

regards,

Burak
Xenos_IO26
Corporal

Post by Xenos_IO26 »

Bump.

Devs? Has the functionality of "NONE" initiative been removed from the game?
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Could you explain what you are trying to achieve? Making an AI initiative to zero and locking minister's control over units for a non-player country sounds like a plan to kill that country. You you basically wanting to shut down the military command/AI of that country. Why would you want that? You mentioned that it helps that country somehow? Please explain.

As for the issue, I too have noticed that AI countries revert back to their default settings in time. I did notice, however, that changing minister priorities have long-term effects. Have you tried that, through MP mode?
Xenos_IO26
Corporal

Post by Xenos_IO26 »

Kristijonas wrote:Could you explain what you are trying to achieve? Making an AI initiative to zero and locking minister's control over units for a non-player country sounds like a plan to kill that country. You you basically wanting to shut down the military command/AI of that country. Why would you want that? You mentioned that it helps that country somehow? Please explain.

As for the issue, I too have noticed that AI countries revert back to their default settings in time. I did notice, however, that changing minister priorities have long-term effects. Have you tried that, through MP mode?
Thanks for your reply. I guess I play the game in a very unusual (even weird) way, in that I try to mimick the real world. I do not play to conquer the world, but to act as a leaders do IRL - that is, to grow steady economies, condemn strategic rivals, launch multinational interventions (an example of why I need units of other nations to stay in place), etc.

Contrary to what you said, I do not wish to kill other countries. In fact, I try very hard to keep all countries alive to maintain realism. Whenever my role playing demands an invasion, I always turn "capture territory" off. Defeating all enemy units and holding an unchallenged military presence is sufficient for simulating a victory in my mind, at which point I negotiate peace and withdraw. Modern wars seldom result the destruction of a state, more often the invasion force ousts an undesirable government and allows the country to rebuild. I do that as well.

For immersion purposes, I park a US carrier and several destroyers in the Persian Gulf to simulate the present of the U.S. Fifth Fleet. Same with Seventh Fleet in Japan. Other times I will want Chinese and Japanese ships to loiter northeast of Taiwan, to simulate a row over the Senkaku Islands. You get the drift.

This is how I've always played SR, and if I can't have units stay put... Then it's back to SR2020 for me. But I enjoy the new features in this game (and dropped money on it), so decided to see if anyone on these boards can provide some insight.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Wow, that's a very interesting style of playing! I find it really appealing, will try a variation of your style myself. However, wouldn't conquering a countrys territory and then choosing to "liberate" the country act as change of government (by force)?

Have you tried my suggestion of disabling minister's control of units (in rules of engagement section) or by tweaking minister's priorities?
Xenos_IO26
Corporal

Post by Xenos_IO26 »

Kristijonas wrote:Wow, that's a very interesting style of playing! I find it really appealing, will try a variation of your style myself. However, wouldn't conquering a countrys territory and then choosing to "liberate" the country act as change of government (by force)?

Have you tried my suggestion of disabling minister's control of units (in rules of engagement section) or by tweaking minister's priorities?
I'm still fiddling with the new features and will try liberating! I know it's been around a long time, but I never played SR:CW for more than 10 minutes :P

I will try the minister settings when I'm home tonight, let you know what happens. Thanks!
Xenos_IO26
Corporal

Post by Xenos_IO26 »

Xenos_IO26 wrote:
Kristijonas wrote:Wow, that's a very interesting style of playing! I find it really appealing, will try a variation of your style myself. However, wouldn't conquering a countrys territory and then choosing to "liberate" the country act as change of government (by force)?

I'm still fiddling with the new features and will try liberating! I know it's been around a long time, but I never played SR:CW for more than 10 minutes :P

I will try the minister settings when I'm home tonight, let you know what happens. Thanks!
tl;dr It didn't work.

Having gotten into the Global Rules of Engagement tab, I set the following:
- Minister Control: "Unit is not available for defence minister orders"
- Intiative: "None"
- Accept Changes: tried both options

I pressed "Apply to All". Got excited having locked the units from minister orders, thought it would do the trick.

After 15-20 minutes of playing, AI naval units started moving or going back into reserve... again. The feature for locking out minister orders is simply broken at the moment.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Xenos_IO26 wrote:...The feature for locking out minister orders is simply broken at the moment.
To clarify, it's not broken.

Units in game move for one of 3 reasons.
* The unit moved itself - unit initiative
* The minister moved the unit - minister initiative
* The ruler moved the unit

For a human region you are the ruler, but AI's run their region and can move specific units. Sorry to hear that this interferes with your style of play.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SentosKarum
Warrant Officer

Post by SentosKarum »

I'm thinking that he's used to an mechanism from HotSeat play - Sword of the Stars does this - where the AI will honor player given directives ("Do not expand") it inherits when the factions reverts to AI control from a being player controlled.

He desires that the AI respects his setting the autonomous decison making/minister control to None.

I suspect this worked in SR2020 because there the ministers where how the AI run its country but the AI wouldn't touch the slides deciding ministerial 'freedom'.

Ultimate seems to grant the AI the ability to set minister settings, hence it reverting player made changes to ministeral freedoms.
Xenos_IO26
Corporal

Post by Xenos_IO26 »

Balthagor wrote:
Xenos_IO26 wrote:...The feature for locking out minister orders is simply broken at the moment.
To clarify, it's not broken.

Units in game move for one of 3 reasons.
* The unit moved itself - unit initiative
* The minister moved the unit - minister initiative
* The ruler moved the unit

For a human region you are the ruler, but AI's run their region and can move specific units. Sorry to hear that this interferes with your style of play.
Thanks Balthagor. But to clarify, unit and minister initiatives have already been locked to "None" (eliminating the first two reasons). I only play alone, as well (eliminating the final reason).

Can you confirm that the previous poster is correct, in that the AI can now change locked initiative settings? This doesn't seem to be the case because after AI units are moved, I log back into that country via MP and initiative settings are still at "None".

SentosKarum wrote:I'm thinking that he's used to an mechanism from HotSeat play - Sword of the Stars does this - where the AI will honor player given directives ("Do not expand") it inherits when the factions reverts to AI control from a being player controlled.

He desires that the AI respects his setting the autonomous decison making/minister control to None.

I suspect this worked in SR2020 because there the ministers where how the AI run its country but the AI wouldn't touch the slides deciding ministerial 'freedom'.

Ultimate seems to grant the AI the ability to set minister settings, hence it reverting player made changes to ministeral freedoms.
Thanks for your input. That was the first conclusion I came to as well, but I eliminated the possibility because the settings were not changed when I logged back into the country which moved its unit via MP. Initiative was sti at "None", and units were still locked from minister orders.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Yes, SentosKarum is correct, the AIs can take direct actions.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”