Germany 1936

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Anthropoid
Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: Germany 1936

Post by Anthropoid »

Balthagor wrote:I'll look for Russia's 1939 DoW. It likely has nothing to do with settings and is event based.

There are lots of things we'd like to improve but only so much time and sometimes our efforts to improve only make things worse. Those changes don't get released but do use up resources.
I think you must be correct Balth. I used a regex in Notepad++ to set those values for aistance and aiagenda in every region in the SR1936.CVP file. Because I didn't do them by hand, it is _possible_ that the auto find replace function botched something. But I would guess that if the .exe tried to read garbled values from that file it would crash the game?

Anyway, right on schedule USSR DoWed Poland 5 May 1936. If this were happening in the sandbox that would be no big deal; random numbers are random after all. But this is happening repeatedly in the 1936 Germany campaign. I have some save files (a couple before the DoW) and one on the day of the DoW if that is of any use to you; I will hold off on scrapping them for a while.

I've also seen France and Italy engage in whacked out war declarations and as I said, France has steamrollered Italy at least twice. ADDIT: for those however, I'm leaning toward "randomly" generated wars that are resulting from "unique" set of events (e.g., me not allying with Italy and France deciding to steamroller Italy . . .)

I would assume the events are in an external file? I will look and see if I can make sense of it, but if you (or anyone) can offer a pointer on where they reside, how they are structured, perhaps a link to a decoding table on a wiki to translate event code numbers into their proper names or something?

ADDIT: ah this page will likely get me going on poking around with events: http://www.supremewiki.com/node/305
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

According to:

Q:\Steam\steamapps\common\Supreme Ruler Ultimate\Campaign\C193603GER.Scenario

USSR is
&&CVP 889
regionname "USSR"
prefixname "Soviet"
altregionname "Russia", "", ""
I'm looking at: Q:\Steam\steamapps\common\Supreme Ruler Ultimate\Campaign\C193603GER.csv

which is the events file. In the column labeled "eventotherdbregion" there are six occurrences of "889"

Now based on the table on that wiki page, it seems that, if these wars are being caused by events then they must be event id "17"
Set War Email/News # (optional) Sets a war without any other countries relationships changing - no approval effects, no forced emails, nothing.
Looking in the column labelled "eventid" I don't find any "17"

I noticed there was one other .csv file and maybe that is the actual one used with Germany 1936 campaign, I will look in that one too . . .

ADDIT: okay the other file is called "SR1936.csv" none of the other ones would seem to apply to a session started with the 1936 Germany campaign.

This file has a rather different structure. there are bunch of rows that are headed by
// SCENARIO ADJUSTMENTS - SR1936

then another section . . .

Both of these seem to be something like the #includes letting the app know when to apply certain values. They don't seem to be events data . . .

Then comes the actual list of events. Looking at all occurrences of "eventotherdbregion" = 889 there are no occurrences of eventid = 17.
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

I think i found solution in my mod for modern games to stop China and Russia for their suicidal war declarations, but i dont care about 36 so its up to you.

Change ai stance in cvp files to 0 for all grouped regions and main region.

Even set to passive in game options i still had suicidal war declarations, after changing Russia and China to 0, still suicidal war declarations, then i changed moscow, sint petersburg etc. Now they still declare wars, but not as much.
Gameplay 1st
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

YoMomma wrote:I think i found solution in my mod for modern games to stop China and Russia for their suicidal war declarations, but i dont care about 36 so its up to you.

Change ai stance in cvp files to 0 for all grouped regions and main region.

Even set to passive in game options i still had suicidal war declarations, after changing Russia and China to 0, still suicidal war declarations, then i changed moscow, sint petersburg etc. Now they still declare wars, but not as much.
Thanks YoMomma.

So referring to the key I found in Aragos thread
Aragos wrote:
Thadwookie wrote:Interesting, so what does

--Change 'aistance: ' to 'aistance: 3'

--Add 'agenda: 2' at the bottom of the file

specifically do before i try it? if anyone knows.
playeragenda {0:Opportunistic, 1:Vengeance, 2:Conquest, 3:Intimidation, 4:Profit, 5:Status Quo, 6:Submission, 7:Reunification, 8:Enlightenment}

playeraistance {0:Normal, 1:Passive, 2:Defensive, 3:Aggressive, 4:Unpredictable}

agenda: 2 means the ai will try to conquer the world
aistance: 3 means the ai is aggressive
Interesting.So "normal" is what you found worked eh? I assigned 2:Defensive to all 505 occurrences of SR1936.cvp, so trying it with that set to 0:Normal would not be difficult.

I was wondering why there are 505 regions in the game given there are only around 180 to 200 "countries" on modern planet Earth. Must be those "ungrouped regions" you are talking about :P Smart way to organize the data for revolution contingencies and such . . .

ADDIT: yep I just changed all to 0 took about 5 seconds!

I'll run a test match and see what happens. So far, Russia has DoWed Poland and the Baltics like clockwork on around May 5 to May 15 time frame.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Okay, not sure if setting aistance 0 helped or not. So far I've played it up to 5 June 1936 and USSR has invaded Latvia (and I think Estonia too) but not Poland.

If BG has USSR scripted to invade these places before the actual historical dates it happened (1940 if memory serves) then that is just bad design. But I think this has something to do with 'random' war declarations.

In truth, I find it inconceivable that this campaign was not thoroughly tested and fine-tuned as it was created, much less within 6 months of its initial release. It seems to me that Germany 1936 campaign is likely to be THE MOST played in a game like this, or at least out of all the ca. WWII scenarios.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Been a while, so took some time to get the details and I'm still not sure I'm remembering it all.

There is a series of 24 event lines related to Russia DoW on Poland. Russia should not attack Poland unless Germany does. The Molotov Ribbentrop Pact is a factor as well. Historically Russia DID DoW on Poland, the game is trying to recreate that. It's hard to put that event off the rails as it was seen as very likely to happen. It isn't on a fixed date, it starts checking conditions in July '39. IIRC the German DoW on Poland is the catalyst.

All the events contain "AD 1289" in their notes.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Balthagor wrote:Been a while, so took some time to get the details and I'm still not sure I'm remembering it all.

There is a series of 24 event lines related to Russia DoW on Poland. Russia should not attack Poland unless Germany does. The Molotov Ribbentrop Pact is a factor as well. Historically Russia DID DoW on Poland, the game is trying to recreate that. It's hard to put that event off the rails as it was seen as very likely to happen. It isn't on a fixed date, it starts checking conditions in July '39. IIRC the German DoW on Poland is the catalyst.

All the events contain "AD 1289" in their notes.
Well then my observations are it is NOT working as designed. I must have restarted that Germany 1936 campaign half a dozen maybe 8 times, and played through for a year or two (amazing how much you can forget about how to play a game). Almost without fail, USSR DoWs: Poland, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, and often Finland in the 1936 to 1937 time frame.

They never make much progress on Poland but generally steamroller Latvia, Estonia, and Lithuania.

Other irregularities which occur with great regularity:
1. Italy DoW on Switzerland (almost without fail) = no more Switzerland.
2. France DoW on Italy (almost without fail) often joined by GB: invariably leads to steamrollered Italy.
3. France DoW on Hungary (very often): generally inconsequential and ends in cease fire sometime later.
4. About half the time, China will steamroller Japan. The other half, a reasonable stalemate is achieved with limited Japanese progress beyond Manchukuo. I suppose balancing that is a real challenge.

Have never seen U.S. or Mexico declare war on anyone else, and in general the entire rest of the globe is quiet. Whatever is allowing U.S., Canada, etc. to stay peaceful: sure would be good if those could be replicated and applied to everyone EXCEPT Germany and Japan, at least for the 1936 campaign files.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”