Alliances (I can't take it any longer!)

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Garethw87
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Alliances (I can't take it any longer!)

Post by Garethw87 »

Hello All

How do I stop the world from being one big happy family in the 2020/Modern game?

I started as South Africa and they start coming in... UK with Bahrain - ok not bad I think. A few others, ok not bad! Then you get Chile with Isreal and the UK with Bhutan etc and it kills it for me. Yet I offer Lesotho an alliance and they say no?

I remember on the 2020 gold there was a way to at least slow this down? Was it Diplo setting on easy and military on hard?

Is this being looked at ? Can't see anything in the issues section.

Thanks for any work around.
Zuikaku
General

Re: Alliances (I can't take it any longer!)

Post by Zuikaku »

Unfortunatelly, the only thing you can do is to reload your save in multiplayer and mess some things up.

But that is not the way any game should be played :oops:
Please teach AI everything!
Garethw87
Warrant Officer

Post by Garethw87 »

Zuikaku wrote:Unfortunatelly, the only thing you can do is to reload your save in multiplayer and mess some things up.

But that is not the way any game should be played :oops:
Thanks for the info Zauikaku! Not the best work around though no. Surely there is a way the wonderful Devs we have can just tone them down? But with this being in ever version I guess not?

I'll have to mess with the settings. I managed to get 2020gold to a playable state but largely by just ignoring the news.
medic911
Major

Post by medic911 »

the Saddam cheat helps too sometimes, if you dont want to spend the time loading multiplayer a lot and you are ok with randomly messing it up. Just Saddam a few times at the start / within the first few months of the game and throw a wrench in the alliances.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

I've been looking at items related to this in the past couple of weeks. The update due out later this week adds some additional volatility to the "World Volatility" settings when you set them to high, but it doesn't directly resolve what you're mentioning.

In general I've been seeing in the Global Crisis map is that the world actually becomes two happy families if you just let things run and don't get involved, since regions seem to "pick sides" even if spheres are off. And in some cases it's three or four alliance "blocks". But that is still a lot of alliances. I admit that I haven't done as much testing lately in the World 2020 map, and I will be looking at that more closely next week.

I'm not entirely sure that tuning back the alliances is the solution to better gameplay, though. I've been sorting through a lot of seemingly conflicting suggestions in how to make the 2020 maps more interesting, so right now it is still under review.
Garethw87
Warrant Officer

Post by Garethw87 »

George Geczy wrote:I've been looking at items related to this in the past couple of weeks. The update due out later this week adds some additional volatility to the "World Volatility" settings when you set them to high, but it doesn't directly resolve what you're mentioning.

In general I've been seeing in the Global Crisis map is that the world actually becomes two happy families if you just let things run and don't get involved, since regions seem to "pick sides" even if spheres are off. And in some cases it's three or four alliance "blocks". But that is still a lot of alliances. I admit that I haven't done as much testing lately in the World 2020 map, and I will be looking at that more closely next week.

I'm not entirely sure that tuning back the alliances is the solution to better gameplay, though. I've been sorting through a lot of seemingly conflicting suggestions in how to make the 2020 maps more interesting, so right now it is still under review.
Hi George

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond! and nice to know an update is on the way!

Interesting how you mention that the alliances seem to still form in blocks. I have no issues with blocks forming, it's pretty common place these days and the cold war spheres are cool and fun. It's just the outright odd and random alliance fest (as you've read what I put already) that is the main problem. There just seems to be no order or criteria in the acceptances by each country, then if you the player decides to try align you are told either 'no we hate your' or 'ok sure.. for a massive fee :o '

Maybe add an option so there are no alliances type setting? or something like each country can have upto X amount of alliances so they would have to calculate who would be the best to choose. The latter isn't very realistic but just trying to throw some ideas around!

happy coding
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Part of the problem are AI rulers never dissolving alliances or building tansions with neighbours. Tensions that coul'd lead to breaking relations or wars.
The same with wars lasting forever....
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Zuikaku wrote:Part of the problem are AI rulers never dissolving alliances or building tansions with neighbours. Tensions that coul'd lead to breaking relations or wars.
These items are part of the mix getting some attention right now. Among other things, there is the possibility to have AI's make major relationship changes when the government changes in an election. Also, having an AI occasionally going bat-crazy is a possibility, but I'm worried people will consider it more of a bug when it happens than a real thing (as in like a "Saddam attacks Kuwait" sort of crazy - nobody would believe it if it didn't actually happen).
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

George Geczy wrote:
Zuikaku wrote:Part of the problem are AI rulers never dissolving alliances or building tansions with neighbours. Tensions that coul'd lead to breaking relations or wars.
These items are part of the mix getting some attention right now. Among other things, there is the possibility to have AI's make major relationship changes when the government changes in an election. Also, having an AI occasionally going bat-crazy is a possibility, but I'm worried people will consider it more of a bug when it happens than a real thing (as in like a "Saddam attacks Kuwait" sort of crazy - nobody would believe it if it didn't actually happen).
This sounds just great :-) I'm really excited to see new changes. Please, leave possibility for AI to be bat-crazy. Just hope endless AI vs. AI wars will also get some attention along with possibility for AI to liberate and colonize defeated regions and not just annex.
SR is just getting better and better :D
Garethw87
Warrant Officer

Post by Garethw87 »

Zuikaku wrote:
George Geczy wrote:
This sounds just great :-) I'm really excited to see new changes. Please, leave possibility for AI to be bat-crazy. Just hope endless AI vs. AI wars will also get some attention along with possibility for AI to liberate and colonize defeated regions and not just annex.
SR is just getting better and better :D
I second this! A small possibility that some AI will just go bat-crazy is never a bad thing! Keeps things fun and unpredictable.
MrRipper

Post by MrRipper »

3 words: working mutual defence.
Only problem if ai has mutual defence with both countries at war, it has to choose..
Rhaycen
Major

Post by Rhaycen »

Trying to see if anything crazy will actually happen in this game...

Started on the 1936 map, as Tibet ... setting: no units - High Vol - Hard 3x

Germany stomped around Europe, Italy made a fool of itself, Japan got removed by China ... then the US raced into Europe very early on and stomped all over Germany & Italy.

At which point most of the world was owned by the US, so I used a multiplayer load to "liberate" all of the newly gained US territory to add some more countries to the mix. This was in 1944 ...

I'm now in 1949 and other then some lingering after effects of WW2, a serious case of World Peace has happened and after 5 years the constant barrage of alliances has died down a little.

I'm waiting to see what happens in the future, to see if any other wars start or if anything crazy happens.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

No units will reduce conflicts. Regions don't start wars if they don't have a military.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:No units will reduce conflicts. Regions don't start wars if they don't have a military.
Why don't they stop wars when their military is depleted or are left with only a few units (endless AI vs. AI wars problem)?? Is it possible to tweak this ,so that regions stop wars when out of units?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Their military strength vs. their opponents is already a factor in deciding to send peace offers, it's just not weighted as heavily as the relations are. But we're drifting off topic.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”