Advice for winning a war against overwhelming superiority

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Cdiplayer
Colonel
Human: Yes

Advice for winning a war against overwhelming superiority

Post by Cdiplayer »

Right now I'm in the 2020 scenario playing as Thailand and I've got a rather large problem. I built up my military forces through SUT and felt pretty confident that I could crush my neighbors and dominate Southeast Asia. I allied myself with Burma to secure my western front and then declared war on Malaysia, Cambodia and Laos. I annexed Laos in one day by marching into their capital and then landing paratroopers in all their cities. Cambodia fell within 3 days and then Vietnam declared war on me. At this point I was advancing slowly into Malaysia and facing stiff resistance. I still had plenty of troops available though so I decided to launch a 3 pronged attack to chop Vietnam into 3 pieces. At this point I was feeling pretty confident.

Then, my ally Burma went to war with Bangladesh. I was nervous but figured Burma could probably handle them so I decided to focus on crushing Vietnam quickly just in case Burma ran into trouble. I continued slowly inching forward in Malaysia and then one week later India entered the war. They declared war on Burma and so, like an idiot, I declared war on India. I sent my navy and a small army to seize Port Blair and committed my last reserves to support Burma against the Indians. For about 2 weeks my army held up admirably against India and delivered several crushing defeats to them.

Unfortunately, eventually the overwhelming numerical superiority simply became too much and the majority of my army was swept away. My navy was able to fight bravely and inflict heavy losses on the Indian navy but they too were ultimately destroyed. I was able to crush Vietnam and get a peace treaty out of Malaysia, but now I have no navy, an army trapped in Port Blair, and my main army that is a shadow of its former self. The Indians are advancing into Burma right now. Any ideas on how I can avoid defeat? I'm thinking one possible option would be nukes. I'm frantically researching nuclear weapons at the moment so that I can perhaps build one and set it off before the Indians get to my borders.
Ater
Colonel

Re: Advice for winning a war against overwhelming superiorit

Post by Ater »

I would try and produce as many units as you possibly can, India's military is large but it isn't of good quality. Garrison all your cities as much as possible and keep little units active until they reach your borders. Slowly take city by city until you reach their capital and hope for the best. (If you win you could restore Burma/Myanmar)
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein
ixonixas
Lieutenant

Post by ixonixas »

Just build the cheapiest infantry units and entrench them in bordering cities. Use city to city entrenchment tactic and this game going to become boring, because you'll be unstoppable.
Ricent1
Captain

Post by Ricent1 »

Agreed with the above. Create as many artillery as possible, sink them into border cities with full garrisons. Sit, wait, and pray.
Rhaycen
Major

Post by Rhaycen »

If you have the time, create the higher end infantry units, like commandos or rangers. But if you need large numbers of troops in a short period of time, paratroopers & artillery .. get as much of it as you can, and stash them in your border cities.

Each city is a new Stalingrad, make them fight for every inch. In defensive positions, you should be able to destroy a significant portion of their army and make them pay for every bit of yours. Until you can mount a counter attack, or run them out of military resources & oil.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

I usually try to use what I call "poke the bear" strategy, try to take territory in the vicinity of your defensive position. That should provoke the attacks from the AI to come in the direction of those defenses. Just make sure you have enough AA, supplies and Arty to support those defenses. Just make sure that you have some infantry troops left to protect some key areas on your flanks.

So that way, if there is an overwhelming force against you use can, then your troops can constantly keep up the firing and they have arty support to grind down the offensive force. Also by bottle necking their attack into one main defensive line you can get better use of your smaller force.

When it comes to the flanks, I usually station some infantry on river cities, cities that has good supply(they have air port or similar). I try to use rivers to my advantage as most units cannot cross them without some bridging, and the AI is not able to use bridging units to their intended purpose. Also The AI is easily provoked by your incursions into territory controlled by them. So by using a stack of 7 units to mount an incursion, which you then withdraw back into your defenses, should if I remember correctly mount a similar counter attack by the AI.

This strategy usually works and in the meantime while I'm grinding the enemy I try to build up my forces so I can go on the offensive. When creating an defensive line it is always better to use terrain appropriate units and units with the best stats. Terrain appropriate units are for example, using tanks to defend open terrain and foot infantry to defend cities since they are best adapted for those tasks.

Hope this helps :)
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Ater
Colonel

Post by Ater »

I'm surprised Pakistan wouldn't have taken India by now...
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein
Rhaycen
Major

Re: Advice for winning a war against overwhelming superiority

Post by Rhaycen »

Really wish you'd let us know if you managed to hold off the Indian horde.
Cdiplayer
Colonel

Post by Cdiplayer »

The Chinese intervened in Burma and pushed the Indians back almost to Dhaka. Then Russia intervened in Bangladesh and pushed the Chinese back. Right now they are very close to taking Burma's capital and I am fortifying Thailand's borders.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Trade with the US or Russia and get some really, really good commando-type infantry (Green Berets, etc.). They have great close combat values.

Dig them suckers into cities, jungles and hills.

All the arty you can get to back them up.

Absorb the attack and don't let the Indian damaged units get away. You'll win.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”