Several technical questions about SR

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Several technical questions about SR

Post by Kristijonas »

Hello, so I was wandering, what do these settings mean?

"Use hardware mouse pointer", in which scenario would turning it on/off would be better?
"Use hardware vertex processing", in which scenario would turning it on/off would be better?
"video driver buffer fix", in which scenario would turning it on/off would be better?

Questions about in-game stuffs:

"Fortification" "Gun Emplacement" "Military Fortress" - What do they do, exactly? How they differ? Does anyone actively use them in their own military strategies?

"Orbital Telemetry" - what's that?

"Missile Silo" - What's that and does it actually work? Is it useful? Anyone using it in their military strategies?

"Battlegoat Studios" facility, What's what and what does it do? :D
Last edited by Kristijonas on Oct 02 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Several technical questions about SR

Post by Kristijonas »

Oh, and also, are there any settings in nvidia or ATI control center/panel that can be tweaked for better graphics for Supreme Ruler? I know some of them break the game or make performance unbearable or make it look actually ugly. Are there any that can actually improve performance/quality of SR graphics?
Atraphoenix
Lieutenant

Post by Atraphoenix »

Kristijonas wrote:Hello, so I was wandering, what do these settings mean?

"Use hardware mouse pointer", in which scenario would turning it on/off would be better?
"Use hardware vertex processing", in which scenario would turning it on/off would be better?
"video driver buffer fix", in which scenario would turning it on/off would be better?

I see no difference on my laptop.

Questions about in-game stuffs:

"Fortification" "Gun Emplacement" "Military Fortress" - What do they do, exactly? How they differ? Does anyone actively use them in their own military strategies?

Fortification alllows your units less damage but has no offensive action. Gun emplacements is like offensive version of the fortifications. Military fortress is advanced version of military complex. The main difference it acts like a city that is suitable for close combat not for tanks.
Personally I build a military fortress to the strategical locations where I expect enemy invasions after you build it you may add 2 fortifications and 1 gun emplacement. You lack air cover so it is advisable to put 6 close combat units like elite guards or commandos and a AA unit. If you do not play on multi, AI has no chance against your defences if you supply your elites from air both with air transport and air bombers.

"Orbital Telemetry" - what's that?

It allows you to build satelite building facilities no idea if it works on SRU but it works on cold war without any problem.

"Missile Silo" - What's that and does it actually work? Is it useful? Anyone using it in their military strategies?

You just build it like any other military buildings it works as a stable, immobile MLRS but you need silo launched missiles and I am not sure if it is broken on SRU or not.

"Battlegoat Studios" facility, What's what and what does it do? :D
WHAT!
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

I am wondering if it would be possible to win wars with missile silos alone. That would be realistically overpowered and I'd still like that (it is realistically OP in RL).
Atraphoenix
Lieutenant

Post by Atraphoenix »

Kristijonas wrote:I am wondering if it would be possible to win wars with missile silos alone. That would be realistically overpowered and I'd still like that (it is realistically OP in RL).
In fact you can. If you play with capture difficulty you can nuke all capitals so if all command units dies you can have all enemy lands but it is quite OP and unfair and you should find a powerful silo launched nuke.

I just store my nukes as a last stand and I have been playing since 2020 and no AI region could challange me on that point.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

I'm just thinking if it'd be fun playing a North-Korea type of a country. Hated by all dictatorship, but full of nukes and floods of cheap armies :D
Are the missile silos really useful without Capture victory condition? I always play complete/unity as I don't really want to "win".
Atraphoenix
Lieutenant

Post by Atraphoenix »

Missile Silos are of course very useful but all the missiles designed for them are nukes in my tests with different factions.
Currently I have not nuked anyone but you can use silo nukes on "Strategic Targeting" submenu not sure but may be a submenu of STATE department if not reserve department may be a better option. Satelites are buggy but not sure on strategic targeting. Its menu works in my games but never tried attacking from that menu.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Does the AI use nukes? Any way to defend against them?
Atraphoenix
Lieutenant

Post by Atraphoenix »

Kristijonas wrote:Does the AI use nukes? Any way to defend against them?
Some says "Yes" but I have never observed them maybe because I always play with high nuke using penalties.
GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by GreenGoblin »

If they're missiles you can use AA to shoot them down.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Atraphoenix wrote:
Some says "Yes" but I have never observed them maybe because I always play with high nuke using penalties.
I deliberately play with none/low nuclear penalties :D
Any comments on the graphic options, control panel/center options or other things I mentioned?
drsidious
Warrant Officer

Post by drsidious »

I don't wish to open new thread so I'll ask here is problem of firing missiles in proxy war solved?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I'll reply in that thread. (not resolved)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

*bump*
Original questions are still not answered by the developers. Very curious how precisely those settings work and which would be best for me. I use AMD R9 380X as my GPU and an i5 2500 as my CPU.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”