My feedback.

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tommo8993
Captain
Human: Yes

My feedback.

Post by tommo8993 »

Its early access so this is feedback, so far i'll update this thread with more feedback as I continue.

1. Rubber
I dont feel that rubber should be a resource, either in SR1936 or SRU. Only 5-6 countries can produce it naturally and I feel its utterly pointless, may I suggest bringing water back or adding another resource.

2. Peace
Ive said before that I feel the current peace treaty system needs work and the community seems to share this view.
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 70&t=21724
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: My feedback.

Post by Balthagor »

Rubber has to stay. Right or wrong, that decision can't be undone at this point. Really, adopting rubber was the only way we could do this without an extra 4-6 months of development.

The other thread is already noted, thanks.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
raxo2222
Captain

Post by raxo2222 »

You can always mod rubber into water. But I think it would take 3 - 6 months for group of experienced modders to fully convert rubber into water.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Balthagor wrote:Rubber has to stay. Right or wrong, that decision can't be undone at this point. Really, adopting rubber was the only way we could do this without an extra 4-6 months of development.

The other thread is already noted, thanks.
Keep the rubber, but add the water too :P (and re-do all the GUI concerning addition of a new resource :lol: )
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Nitrous Oxide
Lieutenant

Post by Nitrous Oxide »

raxo2222 wrote:You can always mod rubber into water. But I think it would take 3 - 6 months for group of experienced modders to fully convert rubber into water.
Er, it's already done for 1936 in Fistalis' Modern World mod. :wink:

You could probably load everything from that directly to Ultimate.
tommo8993
Captain

Post by tommo8993 »

Update 1:
3. Country names
I'm unsure about North & South Korea, East & West Germany. It seems strange when you win the Korean war and your still North Korea.

4. Flags
I'm sure this is already on the bug list but some flags are inaccurate. It may also be worth noting in the 2020 scenario the flags of Libya and Burma have changed (probable more too).

5.Aircraft Carriers
Aircraft Carriers are supposed to be the pinnacle in naval power, I think something needs to be looked at with Carriers in the game.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

One note about Rubber/Water is the fact that Water was, in the end, a lame resource. The concept was that in the future world drinking water shortages could be the cause of conflict and crisis, but it's a bit of a stretch for the most part. There's so many ways to get basic drinking water that importing it from half way around the world is not going to happen, and the only "real" water shortages of the world will happen for agriculture. And countries will NOT be importing water by the tanker to irrigate their fields, that is simply not cost effective. One does not use Perrier to water a cabbage crop.

So Rubber in 2020 may not be exciting, but water wasn't either, and I can't see much that would drive using water instead of rubber. We did consider leaving Water in the later sandboxes, but then if you play a game from 1936 through to 2020 you'd have a rubber-based game, versus starting a new game in 2020 with water instead. Didn't seem to be a strong reason for that.

Regarding some of the other comments in this thread, thanks for the feedback, I'll try to comment on some of the points shortly. There is some work on some of these areas being done.

-- George.
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Post by mattpilot »

Not sure why i gave in so quickly and bought it, but i guess it had something to do with my other game being down :/

Anyway -> I was playing shattered world in sandbox mode. Unplayable. Game speed is medium ('3rd from bottom) and every few seconds its stuttering with my background music cutting out. I closed the music player, and everything else that might be taking up resources and it's still slow & stuttering (can see it watching the clock).

Are Debug tools activated or what gives?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

know issue, we're working on it. It's not the game engine per say, SR1936 runs fine.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Maybe rubber shoul'd just be replaced with "chemicals". It shoul'd be rather easy fix since both industrial and military goods needs products of chemical industry for production. chemicals also represent wider variety of products and synthethic rubber is also product of chemical industry. So rubber can be swapped with "chemicals".
Please teach AI everything!
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Zuikaku wrote:Maybe rubber shoul'd just be replaced with "chemicals". It shoul'd be rather easy fix since both industrial and military goods needs products of chemical industry for production. chemicals also represent wider variety of products and synthethic rubber is also product of chemical industry. So rubber can be swapped with "chemicals".
I like the idea of another resource, but I'd prefer "rare goods" over chemicals. China is known to produce some 90%+ of the worlds supply of rare metals such as those found in high end electronics and such. I wouldn't mind having the resource be inclusive of those resources as well as malaysian rubber, whereas China's deposits wont be built on in the 36 scenario and thus wont effect rubber as a strategic resource during that period, only increasing it through the following decades.

The problem with the idea (I imagine) is mostly in regards to the time it would take to implement it same as the reason we can't go back to water from rubber. They're stuck with that design choice for the time being so converting it to another resource and researching the areas this new resource should be available and ensuring it's balance is something I don't think we'll be able to get. I know they'll continue looking into ways to resolve the rubber issue for the late game economies though.
Nitrous Oxide
Lieutenant

Post by Nitrous Oxide »

I hated rubber at first, but it grew on me pretty quick... I actually prefer it now and am glad I can play through the Cold War campaign with it. :D

Gotta say I agree with aircraft carriers though... they feel pretty insignificant.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

George Geczy wrote:One note about Rubber/Water is the fact that Water was, in the end, a lame resource. The concept was that in the future world drinking water shortages could be the cause of conflict and crisis, but it's a bit of a stretch for the most part. There's so many ways to get basic drinking water that importing it from half way around the world is not going to happen, and the only "real" water shortages of the world will happen for agriculture. And countries will NOT be importing water by the tanker to irrigate their fields, that is simply not cost effective. One does not use Perrier to water a cabbage crop.

So Rubber in 2020 may not be exciting, but water wasn't either, and I can't see much that would drive using water instead of rubber. We did consider leaving Water in the later sandboxes, but then if you play a game from 1936 through to 2020 you'd have a rubber-based game, versus starting a new game in 2020 with water instead. Didn't seem to be a strong reason for that.

Regarding some of the other comments in this thread, thanks for the feedback, I'll try to comment on some of the points shortly. There is some work on some of these areas being done.

-- George.
You do know there is Room for ONE more resource in the engine.. you COULD have both. Just throwing that out there. being ultimate I would actually prefer you finally use that last commodity slot and have both.. you already have the map data for both so it would be a matter of combining them.. easier said than done but its less work than doing it all from scratch. Either way you really need to get modern info on rubber production and apply it to the future scenarios.. and thats more of an undertaking than you may realize.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Fistalis wrote:...You do know there is Room for ONE more resource in the engine...
Actually, there is room for one more finished good, not another raw good. The first ones are treated differently.

And it would require a rebuild of multiple areas of the GUI. Very unlikely.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Clavs
Sergeant

Post by Clavs »

1- The game is slower than the previous ones (Playing SR Ultimate, Global Crisis). It's been only 4 in-game months and the speed is the same as 5 in-game years of SR2020. After a few releases this issue should be the TOP priority.
>>>>>The game is unplayable!<<<<<

2- Bonds, I keep borrowing money, but the amount I owe doesn't appear, credit rating and amount I can borrow every time keeps decreasing as well. Later I can't pay the debt because. it shows as $0.00.. and then it's the ridiculous system introduced in SR Cold War where you can't pay it yourself anyway, the way debts were dealt with in 2020 was much better. It's early access, but it's the same game with nothing improved from SR1936, these issues should not be coming up, experimental or not.

3- Bunch of other smaller issues easily fixable usually noted by the community, all still present in the game. Why?

During the 4 in-game months almost the whole world was at war, I've had several nations going for peace instead of finishing themselves off. Only North Korea and Kosovo got destroyed. If you did something on that, then well done... At least something.

Question: Why are there units that are exclusively researcheable for a certain nation when it should also be in other ones, others for multiple nations and others in the wrong nations?

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”