Non steam version

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Raiden01
Corporal
Human: Yes

Non steam version

Post by Raiden01 »

You guys said a SR1936 non steam version was definitely going to happen "sometimes in the future" back when it was released and after months there's still no word on it and therefore I've given up waiting for it, it seems even more pointless wasting any money on it now that you're releasing Ultimate. So my question is are you gonna release a non steam version for Ultimate or not? Don't give false promises like for SR1936 please, just an honest answer so that I can look for other games instead. Thanks.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Non steam version

Post by Balthagor »

The intention was never false promises, situations simply changed.

If I give you an answer, either a yes or a no, it's equally susceptible to change as the last time we tried to give an answer...

We just don't know at this time.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Raiden01
Corporal

Post by Raiden01 »

I guess re-releasing old games as "Ultimate" edition is more money for less effort than releasing and supporting a non steam version so that makes sense. You could have at least put a sticky saying you changed plans and the non steam version was not going to happen. I'm gonna consider that a no, disappointing but oh well money saved to spend elsewhere I guess.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

One reason we haven't prioritized a non-Steam version is that we're actually more of a "steam-lite" ... meaning that while we use Steam as our distribution method, you don't actually require Steam running to play the game. You can create a desktop shortcut directly to the SR exe and play without the Steam client running. We did this on purpose to address the issues some people have with keeping the Steam client running all the time.

Steam makes it a lot easier for us to update and patch the game, with Steam taking care of installation and versioning and so-on... this makes it easier for us to do incremental updates, or get multiple update out like we did today.

Steam also makes it easier for people to re-install when they get a new system or reformat or whatever ... the #1 support question we get by email is "I lost my CD Key, can you help me..."

Also a factor is the growing acceptance people have of Steam as a convenient and efficient way to get digital download games. And you don't need to even give them your money ... you can buy through our website, through the Humble Store, through GamersGate, and so on, and Steam is just the installation platform - the guys that take care of getting the game installed on your system and updated when we make changes.

A non-steam version is still on our wishlist, but there are a lot of things on that list, and it really can't happen until we stop pushing out new content and features so often; right now we have plans to do a lot of updates in the next few weeks.

-- George.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Right or wrong Raiden01, I have stricken any new games from BG or Paradox as they have both accepted their overlord Newell and shall submit to his will :P

I do not care for steam and will not use it, not even install it on my machine, but I cannot fault BG, or Paradox for that matter, as they must pay the bills and feed the family as it were, so chasing the money makes sense for them.

Instead, I am happy to have had the opportunity to play SR2020 and will continue to play it for years to come.

The hard part is finding a development studio that does not cater to the masses of steam, there used to be a market for niche games, the games that were so in depth they simply did not appeal to all. Unfortunately nearly everyone is on the mass market bandwagon and in my not so humble opinion, the gaming industry as a whole is dumbing down its games for mass market appeal, afraid to lose sales. It is sad to watch, as someone who has watched the computer gaming industry develop, who purchased my first game from a guy selling them out of the trunk of his automobile, in plastic sandwich bags on 5.25" floppies. Then the heyday of the 90s andahh.. I am rambling.. forgive me.

The best us dinosaurs can do is keep in touch, when we locate a good game that does not require a third party middleman, inform others and reward the development studios that refuse to bow to their overlord or the "sacred cow" of market saturation.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Thanks GI Joe,

And all the "non-steam" users should stay in touch. Its never too late for us to make this available, it just doesn't get the same priority as expanded development.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

GIJoe597 wrote: The best us dinosaurs can do is keep in touch, when we locate a good game that does not require a third party middleman, inform others and reward the development studios that refuse to bow to their overlord or the "sacred cow" of market saturation.
That was very well expressed. There are indeed alternatives and I`ve been happily going that route since it became clear SR was going to be Steam exclusive. Hopefully the latter will change at some point.
Balthagor wrote: And all the "non-steam" users should stay in touch. Its never too late for us to make this available, it just doesn't get the same priority as expanded development.
That`s what I`ve been doing, but I`m starting to feel somewhat silly about it since you`ve been so coy on the matter. I`ve never asked for a deadline of when it will happen and I understand it might not happen, but I really wanted to get a honest looking answer that you are seriously considering it (if so) and will do it IF certain conditions are met so I know on what it depends and about when it might happen. Up until today when George sorta hinted above about the conditions necessary I haven`t seen such a post and correspondingly my impression has been that you`re just pulling us along on the string so we don`t get lost. If a non Steam release happens you will have some customers for it, if not you`re not losing anything since we`d not be the selling target anyway, so who cares. Plus, along the way, through frustration some of us might actually give Steam a chance so why tell us a straight NO and drive us away from the start?
The point here is that if you are actually considering a non-Steam alternative you should be more forward about it. Say that it will most likely not happen until or unless this or that takes place so we have an idea what we`re waiting for. Maybe even add an update twice a year so people can see this is still a strategy you`re considering, albeit less important than new feature development (which btw is understandable given your guys` limited resources and the bad luck with crowd funding).
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

GIJoe597 wrote: .....
The best us dinosaurs can do is keep in touch, when we locate a good game that does not require a third party middleman, inform others and reward the development studios that refuse to bow to their overlord or the "sacred cow" of market saturation.
Well, GOG does offer games that are DRM free, you get an installer that just works without questions.
Whenever possible I prefer GOG over Steam.

To the defense of STEAM:
i) I have been using for a few years now and so far never had a problem
ii) It is my opinion that online distribution (and that also includes STEAM) makes niche game possible, just look at all the titles that are now available and tell me that there is nothing for a "hard core gamer". Digital distribution makes the buying and selling of games more efficient, making it easier for developers who want to make games for only a few people.
Granted there are many devs that just chase money but it has always been that and isnt a question of distribution.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

MK4 wrote:...The point here is that if you are actually considering a non-Steam alternative you should be more forward about it
Yeah, cause that really helped Raiden01's opinion...
[edit: and I understand his frustration btw]

I understand what you're saying, but we just don't have any guarantees. We make the best predictions we can.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Yeah, cause that really helped Raiden01's opinion...
As far as I can understand from his post, his opinion was shaped exactly by the lack of meaningful updates on the matter in almost a year, not the fact that you`ve said you will and you haven`t yet.

Disappointed as I am about the situation, I`ve never considered accusing you for it. I`ve been here long enough to know the troubles you went through and I understand why you had to do it. I`d also understand it if you won`t release a non Steam alternative despite your best intentions, but I`d like some dialogue on the matter so I know broadly what`s the plan (it is hard because .../ we can`t because.../not unless/until... etc.). You might still take some flak from a few people if you don`t end up implementing such a release, but if we spend our time coming here to check and some are actually contributing to the discussions on development and fixing issues I don`t think it will be a tragedy to accept it.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

in my not so humble opinion, the gaming industry as a whole is dumbing down its games for mass market appeal, afraid to lose sales.
Well, people have rarely accused us of "dumbing down" Supreme Ruler, so I think we get a pass on that point :-)

Supreme Ruler 2020 and Supreme Ruler 2010 are actually being prepped for release on GOG very shortly. However, they are both games that are no longer being updated or receiving new content, so we don't have to worry about the patching/updating system etc. Otherwise a GOG release would be much more difficult for us.

Given the current priorities of development, I don't see a non-Steam distributed version available until our plans for updates and new content wind down, and that won't happen until next year. I would see it very unlikely that we would release a non-Steam distributed version in 2014. (Though as a reminder, you can 'buy' it on the Humble Store, and they'll even give 10% to charity, and once you've installed it from Steam you can even delete the rest of Steam off your system... at least until you want to update.)

-- George.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Thank you! I`ll wait for the development to settle down then and see what comes next. Everyone else, make sure you discover all the bugs so that they`re fixed before I`ll buy the non-steam version. :D
provolone
Warrant Officer

Post by provolone »

Received this in my Inbox today: "GamersGate: Supreme Ruler Ultimate Early Access"

I am also interested in a non-steam version. I appreciate BG's position concerning steam. At this time I am unwilling to use steam. Other issues like naval AI seem more important to me. Ideally, BG will address some of those long standing issues and release a non-steam version.

Early access is not right for me, but I am happy to see that BG is continuing development of this series. Ultimate has the potential to become a great release.
GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by GreenGoblin »

Guys, you do realize you can completely remove Steam from your machine after you download the game, you know, purge the infidel (or however you see it). Just:
1) install Steam
2) download SR
3) copy game directory somewhere else (C:\Games)
4) uninstall Steam
Since you can now buy the game from Gamersgate, you don't have to worry about all the money going to the evil Steam people.

Now can someone please explain to me what is so difficult or undesirable about what I have just described?
Nitrous Oxide
Lieutenant

Post by Nitrous Oxide »

GIJoe597 wrote:I do not care for steam and will not use it
Arrogance? Ignorance? A bit of both?

If Steam was so "bad", why is it so successful and developers and distributors alike actually prefer it? Steam is a distribution platform... you sign-in, buy the game, download the game to your hard drive from Steam's cloud infrastructure (the entire point), and then games like SR can be copied out of the Steam folder entirely and run stand-alone, that's entirely up to the developer... if you want, you can sign-in to Steam once, buy and download SR, copy the folder, and uninstall Steam for god's sake...
GreenGoblin wrote: Since you can now buy the game from Gamersgate, you don't have to worry about all the money going to the evil Steam people.

Now can someone please explain to me what is so difficult or undesirable about what I have just described?
Steam is evul. There's no rational behind it. People who hold such an opinion usually have no idea how Steam actually operates. They're just mad because Steam gave developers options to fight piracy. My dad was like that, but I managed to show him the reality... Steam isn't building a monopoly on video games, they're just connecting gamers and developers alike...

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”