Non steam version

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Re: Non steam version

Post by Kristijonas »

On Steam, SRU costs 30USD or 28Euro.
30USD = 23.65 Euro.
28Euro = 35.49USD.

The same applies to virtually all games. I will remind that they are all virtual. If you buy a game by tweaking your browser into thinking it's in Russia or something, Steam will block your account permanently. Just saying. For me, Steam is basically a too-big-to-jail, legal mafia. There are just too many nonsensical things about it. You ask why it is so successful then, well, because it is a well-thought-out business with really good marketing strategies and great monopolistic moves and because it knows what to hide from people so they wouldn't have to think and gives them comfort and ease-of-use, which is a really smart strategy.
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

Well, lets not forget that STEAM (unlike GOG) is a form of DRM.
Sure, it is only as restrictive as the devs want it to be but in the end you will always need STEAMs permission to install/activate.
I have heard from people who had games from their libraries removed, and even if these stories arent true such stories are plausible.
STEAM only needs to "forget" your account, and then what?
Nitrous Oxide
Lieutenant

Post by Nitrous Oxide »

Juergen wrote:Well, lets not forget that STEAM (unlike GOG) is a form of DRM.
Sure, it is only as restrictive as the devs want it to be but in the end you will always need STEAMs permission to install/activate.
I have heard from people who had games from their libraries removed, and even if these stories arent true such stories are plausible.
STEAM only needs to "forget" your account, and then what?
I've also had a friend who stupidly lost his account to a hacker... and Steam Support got it back for him. I imagine the same case would apply if Steam, however unlikely, were to "forget" your account... there's an electronic paper trail the second you buy something (keep your receipts!). I'm not sure what the problem with DRM is anyways, as long as it isn't invasive... apparently developers aren't allowed rights to control their work? That's an awfully naive way to see things... DRM is fine as long as it isn't some bullshit like only allowed to install 3 times and yadda yadda yadda. Steam is flexible, and in fact, other than the AAA publishers, most indie devs that release on Steam do put out games that don't actually require Steam to play. Hate the devs that choose restrictive DRM, but don't hate Steam... Steam is just a store on the Internet (that allows others to resell it's stuff no less)... Besides, there's Ubisoft that makes you use Steam and Uplay... lol.

As someone who's had Steam for 6+ years with no issues and has gone through 3 different computers in that time, having my games in the cloud is like a childhood dream come true. Never lose saves... can download my games if I'm over at a friends place... no CDs... it's amazing. :lol:

As for prices, well Steam has to pay taxes to governments in countries it chooses to run out of... are you really surprised the EU is more expensive than the home of modern capitalism? You gotta elect more corrupt and US-oriented officials to get cheaper games. :wink: Besides, I have the same problem with CAD... but I can go to EB Games and get a $50 USD Steam card for $50 CAD... yay corporate deals. Just wait for Steam to start accepting Bitcoin.
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

Nitrous Oxide wrote: I'm not sure what the problem with DRM is anyways, as long as it isn't invasive... apparently developers aren't allowed rights to control their work? That's an awfully naive way to see things...
Because as a customer Im looking to spend money on a product and not a service, even at the expense of convenience.
And yes Im aware its little weird to view software as such a thing.

Asides from that I agree with you, I have been using STEAM for quite a while now and never had any issues with the games I bought.
If I had to choose an DRM it would be STEAM, it is far better than stuff like SECUROM and any other form of online activation.
Yes, STEAM is first and foremost a store which lets you buy, update and manage your games easily at the expense that I outlined earlier.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Nitrous Oxide wrote: As for prices, well Steam has to pay taxes to governments in countries it chooses to run out of... are you really surprised the EU is more expensive than the home of modern capitalism? You gotta elect more corrupt and US-oriented officials to get cheaper games. :wink:
I've read that in many cases EU taxes are lower or non-existant compared to the US taxes for Steam.
Nitrous Oxide wrote:I'm not sure what the problem with DRM is anyways, as long as it isn't invasive...
Having to install a third-party piece of software (without a choice not to) is invasive.
FlybyU
Warrant Officer

Post by FlybyU »

You could have went with GoG.com it didn't have to be Steam...

I figured it out after downloading from steam You delete the Desktop icon for it that Steam puts on it. Then go to Steam folder where 1936 is installed Steam\SteamApps\common\Supreme Ruler 1936 and find the SupremeRuler1936.exe. Right click on it and create desktop shortcut and it will play without starting Steam.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

The only reason not to use steam is you have limited bandwidth, Or you have a single core processor, or you have less then 2 gigs memory. Any reasons beyond those is akin to not using windows because you prefer dos.
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Post by mattpilot »

Kristijonas wrote:On Steam, SRU costs 30USD or 28Euro.
30USD = 23.65 Euro.
28Euro = 35.49USD.

The same applies to virtually all games. I will remind that they are all virtual. If you buy a game by tweaking your browser into thinking it's in Russia or something, Steam will block your account permanently. Just saying. For me, Steam is basically a too-big-to-jail, legal mafia. There are just too many nonsensical things about it. You ask why it is so successful then, well, because it is a well-thought-out business with really good marketing strategies and great monopolistic moves and because it knows what to hide from people so they wouldn't have to think and gives them comfort and ease-of-use, which is a really smart strategy.

Steam checks your location via your payment method. I recently add'ed a US Visa to my german steam account -> I can now (and have) buy all things in USD instead of EUR.

Also.. i doubt it's steam setting the price of the game. It's the publishers/producers just entering the same amount for both currencies. I"ve seen most games cost, for example, 29.90 euro's and 29.90 dollars. Others ... like life is feudal have 10 difference between currencies.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

Doh !!

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”