Base Game + DLC?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

jadestorm
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Base Game + DLC?

Post by jadestorm »

Hi folk! I'm probably going to be flogged for suggesting this but hey. =P

Considering the naming of this version of SR, I was wondering if you all had considered making SR:U something that you treat as your core engine, that you constantly look at making improvements to and such and not really "plan on" making new SR full games, but rather put out DLC for things like ... I dunno lets say you all decided to add WW1 coverage. Provide that as DLC to the SR:U core game. Or maybe this stuff going on between Russia and Ukraine escalates and you add DLC for that concept. Basically what I'm suggesting is sort of a model that Europa Universalis 4 and such uses where we don't necessarily have to buy an entire other game and lose our saves and such, but more richness gets added to the existing game, and DLC would allow you to monetize some of the larger additions.

I know DLC is often considered a bad word so apologies if it incites some hatred here. =)

Now, if in the future you all did some HUGE engine overhaul from the ground up that would clearly invalidate all saves, then sure, SR:U2 might come to be. But it might be a nice change of pace to focus all of the engine improvements to those who already bought SR:U and DLC to add more flavor/richness to the world.

Some of my benefits to this:
1. I get to have an expectation that my saves will retain compatibility. I get my Ottoman Empire up to the 2010 and I find myself getting bored. A year later when some "Russia/Ukraine Conflict" DLC comes along, I now can fire up my Ottoman's again and proceed with this new set of content.
2. I know that my base game that I already paid for is going to continue to get improvements, especially around DLC timeframes when y'all need to add some functionality to the game itself that ties into the optional DLC.
3. I continue to feel like I'm helping to support you all on the game I already bought instead of having to start all over with a new game.

Some of your benefits to this:
1. You don't have to come up with new smaller focus names or new entries on Steam or whatever.
2. Your game is no longer "buy it once and done", you can continue to push it forward and still fund yourselves.
3. You don't have to reinvent the engine all at once to convince people to buy the new one and explain in the forums what people are getting out of this new version.

I dunno. Again I know DLC is often considered a bad word but I personally am a big fan of how the EU and CK franchises do it. I love that I continue to be able to "boost my game" so to speak.

Interested to hear what others think about this, please don't bite my head off, it's a simple suggestion. ;)
GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Base Game + DLC?

Post by GreenGoblin »

Expansion pack is a term which will go down better with some. DLC smells like £120 of in-game purchases to me...
jadestorm
Sergeant

Post by jadestorm »

GreenGoblin wrote:Expansion pack is a term which will go down better with some. DLC smells like £120 of in-game purchases to me...
Ah yes, thank you. Yes Expansion pack is a much better term.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

SRU is marketed as a new game in the series, it would probably be better to market it as an 'standalone expansion pack'. Since it's pretty early to release another full game and makes some feel duped.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
jadestorm
Sergeant

Post by jadestorm »

Hullu Hevonen wrote:SRU is marketed as a new game in the series, it would probably be better to market it as an 'standalone expansion pack'. Since it's pretty early to release another full game and makes some feel duped.
Part of my thought here though is that if they're going to market this as a whole new game in the series, market it as "we've decided to go with a base core game from now on (more or less) and add expansions to it in the future". I don't think that's a bad route to go as a concept for an entirely new game this close to 1936's release. I mean even if I wasn't going to get SR:U I personally wouldn't feel duped. I play plenty of games that seem to have a new version out a split second after I buy it.
HeadClot
Corporal

Post by HeadClot »

Just a thought on Expansion packs - There is obviously some very talented people on these boards when it comes to modding.
Why not get those people in cooperation with battle goat to release community expansion packs?
They (Mod Makers) make an cut and so does battlegoat.

That said - I would love to contribute 3D models for such an initiative to interested people.
Nitrous Oxide
Lieutenant

Post by Nitrous Oxide »

Hullu Hevonen wrote:SRU is marketed as a new game in the series, it would probably be better to market it as an 'standalone expansion pack'. Since it's pretty early to release another full game and makes some feel duped.
Er, it's technically new though... since the engine changes are still being made and applied to old content (Cold War with Rubber, hell yes).

To me, this is what it is. Supreme Ruler Ultimate. Supreme Ruler Gold Edition. Supreme Ruler The-Definitive-Apex-Of-Everything-The-Game-Has-Attained-So-Far. And that's exactly what I was looking for, personally. It helps that they're polishing it and I don't have to play ported campaigns that might not be in tune with the improved engine.

But it's also more than that, since they are still actively making changes to the engine. I was actually thinking about skipping over 1936 and just grabbing this instead... but in retrospect, I got my money out of 1936, and the way I look at it now, all the changes from 1936 are being ported up but future changes may not necessarily be ported down. Besides, if in a few months or a year, they decide they want to make new campaigns (like WW1, for example), it could be done on the Ultimate engine. Then it stops being a standalone expansion to 1936 and definitely becomes the next version. I think that's a sound direction that BG is headed in.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Nitrous Oxide wrote:... but in retrospect, I got my money out of 1936, and the way I look at it now, all the changes from 1936 are being ported up but future changes may not necessarily be ported down.
[b][color=#BF0000]George Geczy[/color][/b] wrote:Q: Does this mean that development on Supreme Ruler 1936 is finished?
A: Fixes and new features from Supreme Ruler Ultimate will be back-ported to SR1936 when possible. For example, the "Battle of the Atlantic" feature was added for Supreme Ruler Ultimate but also pushed back to SR1936 with a free update. Supreme Ruler Ultimate contains all the content and completely replaces SR1936, but players who are not interested in the additional content, long-term game eras and modern-world sandboxes of Ultimate may choose to continue with only SR1936.
Even though he said "when possible" I'm pretty sure any important engine change will be back-ported to SR36.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”