Strike missions without DoW

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Scoose
Major

Re: Strike missions without DoW

Post by Scoose »

With this I was thinking along the lines of just aircraft and missiles, as in my opinion boots on the ground is a DoW (even if it is not said or written). Also this was meant to sort of deter countries from say using spy missions or building troops up along your borders etc. It was not to be an act of war just a message that if x country does something against your country you can take a proportionate response, Not have to declare war because a spy damaged your nuclear power plant or whatever.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Post by Kristijonas »

Weeeell Russian troops ARE officially on the ground of Ukraine, however there was no DOW from either side. Contemporary war is a really tricky business.
suaske666
Major

Post by suaske666 »

Kristijonas wrote:Weeeell Russian troops ARE officially on the ground of Ukraine, however there was no DOW from either side. Contemporary war is a really tricky business.
Not really. my country has western media as well, and our TV and newspapers also say Russian troops on the ground, but there isn't a shred of evidence. just like when they claimed Iraq had WMDs. it's just propaganda. they don't have a shred of proof.

unless you meant Crimea, which is a whole other matter
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

suaske666 wrote:
Kristijonas wrote: but there isn't a shred of evidence.

unless you meant Crimea, which is a whole other matter
Russia has admitted some of their soldiers are in Ukraine with the separatists. And yes, Crimea is a good example. It was in the Ukraine and yet when soldiers were sent there no DOW.
Scoose
Major

Post by Scoose »

This topic was meant for a discussion on playing a game, not politics and what each countries flaws are can we keep it on topic please.
suaske666
Major

Post by suaske666 »

Kristijonas wrote: Russia has admitted some of their soldiers are in Ukraine with the separatists.
sorry, but unless you can provide a source I can tell you you're wrong.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Well you got me, but they have admitted some of their troops and boarder guards have "accidentally" strolled into Ukraine. Also, separatists admit there are Russian soldiers instructing them. And again: Crimea: Was Ukrainian defacto land; Russian troops entered: no DOW.
Scoose wrote:This topic was meant for a discussion on playing a game, not politics and what each countries flaws are can we keep it on topic please.

We are just discussing real-life analog of something in Supreme Ruler so that we could get a better view of how mechanics in SR reflect real world and how they can be improved theorically.
suaske666
Major

Post by suaske666 »

Kristijonas wrote:they have admitted some of their troops and boarder guards have "accidentally" strolled into Ukraine.
yeah. even if they didn't admit it all ten of those soldiers were apprehended by the ukranian authorities and returned to russia. what you might not know is that there have been several similar incidents of ukranian soldiers entering russian territory during the last few months. the largest group numbered over 400 soldiers. i believe it was in fact an accident.
Kristijonas wrote:Also, separatists admit there are Russian soldiers instructing them. And again: Crimea: Was Ukrainian defacto land; Russian troops entered: no DOW.
well i haven't heard them admitting this, but even so It's obvious the Russians are training at least some of them. also veterans from Russia, Chechnya and Georgia are fighting on both sides of the conflict. there is no way the separatists could have taken down Ukrainian fighter jets without Russian training.

as for crimea i believe the annexation was a whole lot more legal than the creation of Kosovo. since in both cases the previous owner didn't agree (serbia and ukraine) but kosovo didn't have a referendum, and crimea did. it's possible it was faked to a degree, but 95%+ means the referendum would have been over 50% anyway.

but as far as the game is concerned all of these are things that could never be modeled in a SR game. there is an option t support rebels, but it doesn't do anything other than cost you money.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

I like your neutral views on the situation in Ukraine. I too try to remain neutral and non-judgemental.

Yeah, it is not possible to add these mechanics. Unless someone created a mod for Modern World mod in which there would be an Ukrainian separatist faction with alliance with Russia. But Russia would have to have a really low priority for its troops in that region or it will just swarm.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Take the discussions on Crimea to another thread please.

Discussions of real world politics should be done in Off Topic and I'm fairly certain there is an existing thread.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”