Supreme Ruler Ultimate Announcement

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

georgios
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Re: Supreme Ruler Ultimate Announcement

Post by georgios »

Who said that it is going to be the end of the series? I hope they will continue producing contemporary grand strategy games.
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

Just got the word.

A new "Supreme Ruler" title in the works.
And it sounds like its going to be some kind of compilation that lets you play in "different epochs".

Im not sure how to imagine that working.
The game went a long way from SR2010 to 2020, Cold War and finally 1936.

2020 already didnt have alot of things SR: Cold War had, like the factions system.
Does that mean if I play the 2020 campaign in the new game that there will be factions?

Dont get me wrong Im always pleased to see new grand strategy games set in contemporary times but
asides from putting everything into a new neat package what will be new?
Whats the catch for someone who already has 2010,2020 and CW? (Dont say 1936 :wink: )

How is playing SR:CW in the ultimate edition going to be different?

One more thing:
I recall that you planned to consider GOG as distributor, any news on that?
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

Im really looking forward for all those Insurgency goodies and financing to be useful in a modern 2020 campaign.

Sometimes i wish i was so rich, I could give Supreme Ruler and Battle goat studios as much money as needed for them to develop a scenario editor where I could create any country, move territory, edit armies, create new loyalty. All the best guys.
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

Legacy features ? hhhmmm... Like training?
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Draken wrote:Legacy features ? hhhmmm... Like training?
nope, sorry.
Juergen wrote:...Does that mean if I play the 2020 campaign in the new game that there will be factions?
The sphere system will be there, but we'll be making adjustments so that the diplomacy in the 2020 era works much more like it did in the 2020 engine. Not sure if it will be a hard switch or gentle shift during play, we're still figuring out some of that.
Juergen wrote:...Whats the catch for someone who already has 2010,2020 and CW? (Dont say 1936 :wink: )
Juergen wrote:...How is playing SR:CW in the ultimate edition going to be different?
These are sort of the same question - Ultimate lets you play the old content in the new engine fully updated. In SR Cold War, there were ~800 events. I think we're around 1100 now. Shattered World didn't have any. We can now add some.

Partisans from dead regions, weather, expanded tech tree, etc. There's lots of benefits to having the old content officially migrated forward.
Juergen wrote:...One more thing:
I recall that you planned to consider GOG as distributor, any news on that?
I believe some of our games will be there soon. Not '36 or Ultimate for now (IIRC).
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Balthagor wrote: The sphere system will be there
Any chances of there being more than two spheres? Maybe something similar to how Great Powers works in Victoria II game if you tried it? Because realistically right now there's USA, Russia, China, India and arguably South America (Brazil). Even EU after Cold War has become a separate sphere on its own. I just don't imagine how choosing Russia or China as a sphere while leaving the other country out wouldn't cause a disrepancy. True, India, South America and EU can be neutral (or EU can be USA of course).

TLDR: There are many ways to do spheres. How do you plan to do it? I'm sure this is a concern for many players.
georgios
Brigadier Gen.

Post by georgios »

Mission Space wrote:Sometimes i wish i was so rich, I could give Supreme Ruler and Battle goat studios as much money as needed for them to develop a scenario editor where I could create any country, move territory, edit armies, create new loyalty..
It needs far less money to develop your own strategy game!
chome
Corporal

Post by chome »

I'll pick it up. At first I thought it was a new game but it is kinda like an expansion for 36? Sounds good.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

chome wrote:...but it is kinda like an expansion for 36?...
Reminder that '36 users get a discount.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

Balthagor wrote:
Juergen wrote:...Does that mean if I play the 2020 campaign in the new game that there will be factions?
The sphere system will be there, but we'll be making adjustments so that the diplomacy in the 2020 era works much more like it did in the 2020 engine. Not sure if it will be a hard switch or gentle shift during play, we're still figuring out some of that.
Juergen wrote:...Whats the catch for someone who already has 2010,2020 and CW? (Dont say 1936 :wink: )
Juergen wrote:...How is playing SR:CW in the ultimate edition going to be different?
These are sort of the same question - Ultimate lets you play the old content in the new engine fully updated. In SR Cold War, there were ~800 events. I think we're around 1100 now. Shattered World didn't have any. We can now add some.

Partisans from dead regions, weather, expanded tech tree, etc. There's lots of benefits to having the old content officially migrated forward.
Thanks for the quick answer!
Well, the thing about the Partisans sounds interesting (is this a event or a dynamic principle?) and the CW scenario can certainly do with a tech system overhaul (so that it should no longer be possible to build high tech planes way too early).
Is there a complete list of the new features the engine will bring?
New to me means anything beyong SR:CW btw.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Juergen wrote: Thanks for the quick answer!
Well, the thing about the Partisans sounds interesting (is this a event or a dynamic principle?) and the CW scenario can certainly do with a tech system overhaul (so that it should no longer be possible to build high tech planes way too early).
Is there a complete list of the new features the engine will bring?
New to me means anything beyong SR:CW btw.
From what I noticed partisans are probably working in a dynamic principle. Sometimes a brigade or several appear in a conquered territory that is loyal to the country that is loyal to that territory but no longer exists. Whether the partisans can be completely defeated or whether they can be sucessful in establishing their country back - I do not know.

About the tech system overhaul - I would really like more units for neutral factions. Especially the future units should be available for everyone ( I mean those general ones like startroopers or something like that )
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Juergen wrote:...Is there a complete list of the new features the engine will bring?...
For stuff that was new in SR 1936, dig around for them manual. It has a section on feature changes.

Ultimate will have a much smaller number of feature changes. It is priced accordingly and has been given a development schedule that makes that a necessity.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

Balthagor wrote:
Juergen wrote:...Is there a complete list of the new features the engine will bring?...
For stuff that was new in SR 1936, dig around for them manual. It has a section on feature changes.

Ultimate will have a much smaller number of feature changes. It is priced accordingly and has been given a development schedule that makes that a necessity.
Ok, well "Damaged Facilities" and the new Garrison system would have been cool to have with 2020.
I still remember seeing alot of units getting slaughtered by mere Garrisons (at least in 2020).
Sawedoff
Captain

Post by Sawedoff »

Interesting.... I will probably get it, just out of loyalty and curiosity. Please don't fail us BG.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Kristijonas wrote:
Balthagor wrote: The sphere system will be there
Any chances of there being more than two spheres? Maybe something similar to how Great Powers works in Victoria II game if you tried it? Because realistically right now there's USA, Russia, China, India and arguably South America (Brazil). Even EU after Cold War has become a separate sphere on its own. I just don't imagine how choosing Russia or China as a sphere while leaving the other country out wouldn't cause a disrepancy. True, India, South America and EU can be neutral (or EU can be USA of course).

TLDR: There are many ways to do spheres. How do you plan to do it? I'm sure this is a concern for many players.
Agreed. I've never like the Sphere system in the first place. I think it puts an artificial layer based on history into a game that can be played historically or completely ahistorical. The Spheres post 1945 emerged because of certain historical events (from WWII to Stalin) and was not a pre-destined situation. I can see a HOI-style three sphere system for WWII (Democratic, Fascist, Communist) as those distinctly different ideologies arose after 1919. But splitting the world into blue/white/red because that is what happened in 1948 doesn't work in an open-ended game.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”