Can you CACHE it for me?

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

MikeRegan
Lieutenant

Can you CACHE it for me?

Post by MikeRegan »

After so many failed attempts at creating a mod, I have edited the default.unit file and was wondering if anyone could possibly cache it for me. The standard sandbox 1936 game managing the United States would be perfect. I think it would solve my questions regarding "how to create..." after I dissect the scenario and other files.

I know it's a lot to ask. Can you help?
hoddized
Colonel

Re: Can you CACHE it for me?

Post by hoddized »

Well, I can't make cache for you since my game is heavily modified, but creating a cache is very easy. Just go in the cache folder in your supreme ruler folder (if using steam it could look like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Supreme Ruler 1936) and delete the save file called SR1936 (if you are intending to play the 1936 sandbox. After that is done start the game in 1936 sandbox as any country and let it work for a while. Once it's done making the cache it will go to the main menu.

Find your cached file in my documents/my games/supreme ruler 1936/savegame, it's called CACHED-SR1936 IIRC, move that file to the cache folder in the main game directory and edit the name of the file so it is called SR1936 and you are done.

Edit: Oh, and backup any files you remove or edit.
MikeRegan
Lieutenant

Post by MikeRegan »

Thank you for your response. I tried it exactly the way you described but it still didn't work. I had a minus 3 trillion dollars at startup with no units being able to build. I think it might be the way I saved my default.unit file. I just "saved" it after I did a couple of adjustments but I may have to save it in a different type of format. If you use excel what do you set the saved file as?

Thanks
hoddized
Colonel

Post by hoddized »

I use notepad++, excel has changed the format for me when I tried it, which makes the file unusable. I would do a clean re-install and try again using notepad++.

Edit: you don't have to worry about the format with notepad++, just save it like any other text file.
MikeRegan
Lieutenant

Post by MikeRegan »

Alas, it worked. Your instructions were spot on. My "main" problem was Excel. You were right. It did make the .unit file corrupt and that was causing the wild errors. Thank you so much for your time and advice.
hoddized
Colonel

Post by hoddized »

No problem, have fun modding the game!

Return to “Modding 1936”