Hexes Distance Range?

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

redindus
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Hexes Distance Range?

Post by redindus »

After loading up the game, noticed that some unit stats needed to be corrected. Just wanted to know each hex on the map is what, like 40nm? Been trying to balance this out on my spare time.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Hexes Distance Range?

Post by Balthagor »

16km actually.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
redindus
Warrant Officer

Post by redindus »

Balthagor wrote:16km actually.
Thank you, i noticed some units like destroyers have very long range attacking subs, is there a point of that? Also destroyers doesnt have mid-air attack rating and believe they are modern destroyer or level 4 type.

Wasnt sure if techs will boost your attack rating in ground/naval or air.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

redindus wrote:
Thank you, i noticed some units like destroyers have very long range attacking subs, is there a point of that? Also destroyers doesnt have mid-air attack rating and believe they are modern destroyer or level 4 type.

First thing you need to check is if you have extended ranges on when you looked at this stats. That alone will cause ranges to be off. (enhanced ranges is on by default so if you didn't turn it off you're likely to be looking at the boosted stats rather than the historically correct ones anyway)
Second thing is.. if a stat is less than 16km then it won't matter either way since each hex is 16km there is no difference in how a unit functions until it hits a mutiple of 16km in range. IE 1km and 2km range is functionally the same in game.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
redindus
Warrant Officer

Post by redindus »

Fistalis wrote:
redindus wrote:

First thing you need to check is if you have extended ranges on when you looked at this stats. That alone will cause ranges to be off. (enhanced ranges is on by default so if you didn't turn it off you're likely to be looking at the boosted stats rather than the historically correct ones anyway)
Second thing is.. if a stat is less than 16km then it won't matter either way since each hex is 16km there is no difference in how a unit functions until it hits a mutiple of 16km in range. IE 1km and 2km range is functionally the same in game.
Thanks for the input, already knew that, wasnt sure what the hex range are until now. I assumed that some research techs can improve overall of that units later on, just making my points that i see destroyers that have no mid-range AA attack to defend. Close range if the enemy planes is heading to that destroyer, would be close attack. There alot of destroyers have 4-5 inch-guns that can shoot pretty far out.
bvb
Colonel

Post by bvb »

redindus wrote:
Thanks for the input, already knew that, wasnt sure what the hex range are until now. I assumed that some research techs can improve overall of that units later on, just making my points that i see destroyers that have no mid-range AA attack to defend. Close range if the enemy planes is heading to that destroyer, would be close attack. There alot of destroyers have 4-5 inch-guns that can shoot pretty far out.
I think the DDs were left at close range("low" altitude) as a matter of effective range vs theoretical. Eg. The US 5" Mk.12 gun had an AA ceiling of ~35k feet, but that was essentially firing straight up with max charge, that was how high the shell would travel; getting it close enough to the target after ~60+ seconds of flight time was another matter entirely. Static land based guns with elaborate directors computing their solutions consisting of radar, massive & perfectly idle optics, etc had a devil of a time doing it without having to compensate for 20-30kts speed and a rolling/pitching deck. Their "effective" ceiling was ~15k feet, which would still be "close/low" in game terms, "Medium" being ~20-30k, think B-17s over Germany.

Return to “Modding 1936”