My dream.

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

Kalmah
Private
Human: Yes

My dream.

Post by Kalmah »

I have had an idea for a game that i have been hoping to see for a long time now and i think that the Supreme Ruler engine is the perfect platform to make this happen. Or at least as a mod for now.
The basic idea is to make it like civilization, but in RTS style as Supreme Ruler. I so badly would like to see a civ/empire building game that had a good RTS feel. some ideas to paint a picture:
- start with first town.
- as towns spread themselves and population increases you try to take control and govern them. (possibly plant your own towns also)
- Techs based off of available local/known resource.
- emerging empires to keep compition healthy. Also empire split to break up large or poorly managed empires.
- borders expanded by conquest and by colonization.
- the removal of the grid map would be nice but i think that would be a comple game overhaul. Although larger map would be a great substitute.
- the biggest ballance issues i could think of would involve a massive timeline and the ability to discover new techs at a pace that wont have you launching nukes at cave men.
- as with any game i could imagine balance issues being increased dramaticaly because of the difference between melee and range combat units and the size and traning recieved at creation.
- this would create a world which evolves widly different from our own right from square one and would not serve as a historicaly accurate game as the civilaziation series tries to follow.

if i knew anything about anything to do with modding/programming i would be on this for sure. im actualy begining to learn just for this reason alone. i finally figured i cant wait for someone to make the game i want so i have to do something about it myself.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Re: My dream.

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

very nice idea but not acheavable by modding, not like civ anyways.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

I liked the Civ. But don't like it any more. After Civ2 it just degenerated into something bad.
So, I don't like idea of "civilizing" SR...
Please teach AI everything!
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

I know it has been discussed from time to time on the boards.

What I may do--once the final SR36 comes out, is make a mod where you start with one small region (like the US state of Arkansas, or Singapore) and the rest of the world is basically one large country continually at war with you. Basically a survival mode world conquest.
Kellick
Captain

Post by Kellick »

Not that there aren't some Civ-like features I wouldn't like to see in SR, but it sounds like you'd be better off playing Civ.

Agree with Zuikaku, I loved Civ1 and 2...3 and 4 got steadily worse (although I think 3 wasn't so bad...they added some good features, but they did start adding crap). 5 seems like most modern big-name games; too much attention to graphics and not enough gameplay and fixing bugs. I gave it a look briefly and never bothered with it again.

Not to discourage you completely, but you're going to run up against the limits of the game engine sooner rather than later on this and be disappointed. It's hard enough trying to get everything to work as it should, let alone turn the game into something else.

Anyway, good luck on your mod if that is what you decide to do.

Return to “Modding 1936”