flag request

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

james1939
Corporal
Human: Yes

Re: flag request

Post by james1939 »

What kind of censorship is perfectly normal and acceptable varies very much on your social and political viewpoints, so don't judge the Germans too harshly for not wanting that kind of symbolism around.
No, I think we very well can do that. Not being a fan of Nazism is perfectly fine and acceptable, acting like it never happened is deplorable, not to mention the fact that it's beyond ridiculous that you can make a game specifically about World War II, with Adolf Hitler as the leader of Germany, and that's okay, but the instant you put a swastika in there, that's the problem. As if the swastika is what makes the whole thing so offensive. It's part of history. It's not something you sweep under the rug and ignore. Also, comparing the symbolism of the swastika to bad language and nudity is just plain strange.

On topic, I would love a German flag like either the one above, since it's more historically accurate - the one we have now is the old monarchist flag if I'm remembering right, which is just kind of weird, honestly. Most games I've seen, like Panzer Corps, use a blood-red flag with an Iron Cross in the middle which is also good and historically accurate and certainly shouldn't offend. It would also make Germany easier to distinguish - the current German flag is kind of similar to some of the others in use, but that would definitely make it unique.
nick-bang
Colonel
Location: A dark and ominous room - only illuminated by the eerie light of a computerscreen

Post by nick-bang »

On a very late date and a bit after the dialogue:

But just to make everything clear:

The "nazi" flag is not illegal in Germany, as long as its used in a historic, satiric or similar context.

The problem is the publisher: Paradox.

And more to the point the country where Paradox lies, namely Sweden which have taken Political correctness to new and crazy lengths. So its more a question about not stepping on the left-wing, eco-hippie moral minority´s toes in Sweden...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The decision not to use that Nazi flag was ours, not theirs. Whether we got it right or wrong, it was purely a business decision.

It is so easy to mod in, it's not worth much discussion IMO.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
nick-bang
Colonel
Location: A dark and ominous room - only illuminated by the eerie light of a computerscreen

Post by nick-bang »

Fistalis wrote:Alternatively I did one for the National flag used.. IIRC the one you chose was the "war flag"

http://fistalis.proboards.com/index.cgi ... thread=214
This is broken sadly.

Could you repost it please?
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

nick-bang wrote:
Fistalis wrote:Alternatively I did one for the National flag used.. IIRC the one you chose was the "war flag"

http://fistalis.proboards.com/index.cgi ... thread=214
This is broken sadly.

Could you repost it please?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8w3mpx03bufk ... g.rar?dl=0

Notably i haven't updated this in a while so may cause issues with any flags they changed added since i put this out.. back up your old flag file first.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace

Return to “Modding 1936”