First play through - thoughts at 1940/41

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

medic911
Major

First play through - thoughts at 1940/41

Post by medic911 »

First off, im not very vocal on forums, so for those who dont know me (everyone) I've been around since sr2020 and am a big fan of the game and the company. I've been very excited for this title to be installed and bought it yesterday. Today I'm having fun so far. I decided to go with Turkey and try my hand at building the ottoman empire.

I lost my patience and didnt secure enough industrial goods early on and im paying for it now... paused all construction but ID factories (3X, one 80% done or so) and they still are not moving since theres so little to go around... may need to do some scrapping. . . scrapping done, factories moving again!

Ill echo what others have said on Japan, they are pathetic and get steam rolled by china. I'd love to see that fixed.

Anywho, back to the middle east! the double-coup in Iraq surprised me, i was preparing to invade after the friendly Iraq i built relations with was toppled but then they got re-installed by another coup about 30 seconds before i was going to declare war. I've gotten a lot of financial and favorable trade help from my allies which i couldn't have lived without in my first game, and even some favorable trades with the *****.

The only other thing thats been bugging me so far is, as Paris fell, instantly the rest of France surrendered and all French units flipped sides. Historically this did not happen in the least. the Free French army fought on. while the British actually attack the French navy in the port to ensure it did not sail for Germany at the end, all of France did not suddenly flip over. The battle dragged on a little bit. Is it instant win when you take the first enemy capitol (no move capitol by enemy), or did i accidentally not see fixed capitols box check in my game settings?

By 1942 I plan to start expanding the military and challenging both Hitler and Stalin in my quest to rebuild the ottoman empire. the question is, who will i take on first (i am not stupid enough to pick a two front fight with 100K troops or less by that point and no air force.)

Is there anything i should watch for as the game goes on?

Keep up the good work BG guys!

EDIT: Also, just now in march 1941, bulgaria allied with germany and this provoked a DoW from Italy and japan on bulgaria... should that happen if they're all axis?
number47
General
Human: Yes

Re: First play through - thoughts at 1940/41

Post by number47 »

medic911 wrote:
EDIT: Also, just now in march 1941, bulgaria allied with germany and this provoked a DoW from Italy and japan on bulgaria... should that happen if they're all axis?
Yeah, witnessed this too, playing 1936 sandbox game with Liberia...(though it was a version before 8.1.7)
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

medic911 wrote:
Date please?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
medic911
Major

Post by medic911 »

I think it was the 9th when I noticed it, but the event itself could have been up tp 24 hours before since I was playing on very fast and my attention was elsewhere.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

thanks!
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
medic911
Major

Post by medic911 »

One of these days I'll do a proper AAR with pics and cool stories, but for now I'll just finish this one as is.

1941 and 42 were bad years for the world, and for Turkey. My economy collapsed under the weight of... everything. Somehow, Iraq was producing a lot of everything i needed, even a surplus in power and industrial goods. I siezed control with my military after losing the elections due to rising costs, lowering availability of resources, and cuts to spending. despite being 100 million in debt, i was about to launch my invasion of iraq. I decided one last attempt to salvage my economy was in order, so i micromanaged and locked the important resources and stockpiled as much as possible while trying to expand industrial goods and power facilities...

Meanwhile, the soviets fell to Romania (germany got moscow, but Romania took out most of russia.) the only thing standing between the soviets and total destruction, is vast stretches of land difficult to cross logistically for the AI.

I have noticed that, by 1943, none of the major powers are too close to having enough military or industrial good... in the case of germany they are shrinking in national power (over-extension?) and have almost no production of goods, despite having raw materials and electricity (petrol and rubber are low, but money is high to compensate and some other resources have stockpiles) I think the economic model is hard for myself, but it seems impossible for the AI... Britain also has a lot of naval units that look like they have not been repaired since the war began, but that is hard to judge since i only see them through other people's los.

I also see it is almost impossible to remain neutral.. Sweden and Switzerland both say allied aligned, and that doesnt seem right either, thoughts?

The world war is at a stalemate. Turkey is beginning to turn things around... will they move on iraq or bulgaria?
Will they fight the Axis, or carve out a third sphere for themselves--the new ottoman empire?

EDIT i noticed USA never joined the allies in my game, its 44 now and they are non-aligned.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Balthagor wrote:thanks!
It just happend to ma again in a new game...March 1st 1941...
medic911
Major

Post by medic911 »

Have you noticed Germany not capturing Belgium and Netherlands, or was this just on my game because of my diplomacy with them? It made it very easy for england to invade and destroy the germans through that region once germany over-extended and began to atrophy due to lack of goods. Also, Japan has about 30 days of 'advance' before they are pushed into the sea and become a third world country, i hear that is common?

As a further note, i would like to see paratroopers AT LEAST take as long as marines to train. or maybe two levels of paratrooper, like a cheaper weaker basic para (like slightly better infantry), and the better, longer to build version that is current--only longer to build.

Back to Turkey!

In June of 44 the brits invaded as above alluded to and began conquering the rhine in no time with help from the Belgians. NED troops appear to be used only as defenders, while the Belgium troops and brit troops appear to be making the advances. Once Frankfurt fell in April of 45, Italy got into the action, but did little to repel the NED troops past Frankfurt itself before running low on supplies... however, british, Belgian, or NED reserves are nowhere to be seen in the theater. A possible breakthrough could eliminated the pocket, but without a DoW on the two proxy nations, the beachhead will remain secure.

In 44/45 i saw a juicy opportunity to use my recently constructed glitch-paratrooper army to steam Romaina's vast russian gains my capping the capitol, unfortunately the bridge was captured by Germany and only my marines got through to the city, they failed, germany succeeded, and vast territory is theirs (soon englands). I am about to join the war in favor of the allies, through action against bulgaria first, to shore up my defenses and protect the capitol, and then push from my Romanian holdings into Germany, pending they survive the german onslaught (they are in three cut-off pockets, one cut off... I have a picture that i am not sure how to load...)

My war goals are to capture bulgaria and the rest of SE europe, then try to nab as much of Russia as i can after Berlin falls, assuming the german capitol moves, rather than everything go to England in a pinch. I'll scrap everything too heavily damaged and any fabs i dont want right away for the goods, then use the goods for electricity and more goods facilities. If Italy is still there by the time I have done this, I will turn my attention to them.

QUESTION: I noticed the AI germans send merchant fleets of units to Norway, including a few pioneers... the pioneers appeared capable of amphibious action FROM THE MERCHANT SHIP, is this correct? if so, i'll do my marines that way, with paras and artillery behind, rather than march through land (as that route is blocked by unfriendly nations. )

Yes, turkey, now gripped by iron dictatorship, has pseudo-stabilized its economy through oppressive taxation and inflated prices--and conquest of new peasants from Europe. (and donations from happy allies) Maybe someday we will rise to challenge the new superpowers... China, England, and USA. Only time will tell.

War has begun, i must leave to command my forces against the Bulgarian menace! the enemy fleet was sunk in our canal in the opening minutes of war, all part of the plan... muahahaha
number47
General

Post by number47 »

medic911 wrote:Have you noticed Germany not capturing Belgium and Netherlands, or was this just on my game because of my diplomacy with them? It made it very easy for england to invade and destroy the germans through that region once germany over-extended and began to atrophy due to lack of goods. Also, Japan has about 30 days of 'advance' before they are pushed into the sea and become a third world country, i hear that is common?
Well, (I played at high volatility) Germany never attacked Benelux because France declared war on Germany soon as Germany attacked Poland. So, Germany didn't have to attack Benelux countries to conquer France since it was all done earlier than in real history. As for the Japan, yes, China is overpowered since there is no civil war going on as it was in the real life at the time...
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

number47 wrote:
medic911 wrote:Have you noticed Germany not capturing Belgium and Netherlands, or was this just on my game because of my diplomacy with them? It made it very easy for england to invade and destroy the germans through that region once germany over-extended and began to atrophy due to lack of goods. Also, Japan has about 30 days of 'advance' before they are pushed into the sea and become a third world country, i hear that is common?
Well, (I played at high volatility) Germany never attacked Benelux because France declared war on Germany soon as Germany attacked Poland. So, Germany didn't have to attack Benelux countries to conquer France since it was all done earlier than in real history. As for the Japan, yes, China is overpowered since there is no civil war going on as it was in the real life at the time...
Just like spanish civil war is missing too. I wonder why?
Please teach AI everything!
medic911
Major

Some final parting thoughts as the last ***** fall to Turkey

Post by medic911 »

--Paratroops are indeed WAY overpowered built in 9 days with such great stats... marines at 27 days is more fair i think. The paratroops should take AT LEAST as long as marines.

--I won the war with 100k casualties and took all europe east of berlin (minus Hungary) without an air force, or anti air units and saw no Luftwaffe on my front until december 1947, as i entered poland and austria. this is very unusual, as without air power in my SRGC games, I'd have it pretty rough casualty wise. Anyone else notice lack of enemy air power?

--all the facilities, fabs, complexes, and towns i captured were damaged and seemed to never repair themselves (logo of paused on all the time) but they counted as functional toward producing goods, or so it appeared. Do i have to manually go through every town, fab etc to repair them as i get industrial goods, or is there a system? I just looked at a few and still have things captured in 44 that are paused and not rebuilt (now mid 48) How does this system work? is that why all my enemies collapsed under the weight of their new territory and had no goods of any kind to speak of?

--even with 4 research facilities, i was stuck with 1-2 techs to research at a time for most of my game because they were all benchmarks of some kind, but only revealed one other tech afterward, meaning my extra research facilities were useless for 5 years or so. but now all six are busy more than half the time.

--I was very annoyed when i lost a major facility in a strategic move that created more favorable counterattack for me, but reclaimed the territory as iranian instead of turkish, because i retreated into the one lone iranian square in my sea of turkey. there are several half-dozen hex blobs of iran in my new territory. is there anything i should do differently next time to avoid this or is it going to happen as long as i transit-treaty with someone? (i never got very good with understanding proxy wars in CW, sorry)

--the two units i captured from Bulgaria got stuck on the eastern bridge between crimea and USSR, because both sides of the bridge were USSR and the bridge over water marked as no territory owner. they will forever cost maintenance and cant be scrapped, sold, or moved unless theres something i dont know that i could do? ideas?

--The USA is the only nation not to join a side (allied/axis) and i had no idea i joined a side until after i was allied aligned, how can i deliberately influence this if i want to do different in the future?

--Winter War between finland and ussr did not take place. Finland entered the war after germany. was it supposed to be hard-coded, or is it possible the russians did not think they had enough troops
for it?

--China is way over-powered. they are not in civil war, they are the 2nd largest producer of industrial goods (pretty good for a poorly industrialized nation) and have a stockpile of 3.5million tons of them, even after ive bought giant chunks of them with every spare dollar. (at something like 5X mark-up, jerks! lol)

and lastly america...
--i saw little of it, despite the large production capacity and the 4 million troops, they took a couple islands, then spent themselves into oblivion. they have 67 billion in negative treasury as we speak, and no allies other than the colonies they hold. Talk about isolationism.

So far, I am impressed with the game, but there are certainly some issues that need to be addressed, primarily the ai behavior of USA/Japan and the position at start of Japan and China. Other things i mentioned, like the paratroopers, are minor in comparison to those, as they benefit anyone who builds them, including the ai (come to think of it, i saw no AI paratroopers all game)

I think Japan will be my next stop, so i can more effectively give feedback on that country. unless theres a different country that needs work nobody plays a lot?

EDIT I started Japan, i think its wrong that i have to research 'basic torpedo designs' when i have a bunch of subs sitting around already and between japan and germany, who else really used them on a regular basis before the war?

Return to “After Action Reports”