AAR Japan

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Cdiplayer
Colonel
Human: Yes

AAR Japan

Post by Cdiplayer »

I am attempting my first playthrough of this game as Japan. I am going to be posting both my progress as well as noticings/suggestions here. So far it is 1938 and I have already decided against attacking China. Instead, I am building up my military capabilities and dumping all my money into research. I am pursuing good relations with the United States and I intend to avoid war until around 1944. I will be attacking French Indochina right before the fall of France so I can get a colony for free :D If the Third Reich manages to defeat Great Britain as well I will likely swoop in and seize their colonies at the last minute too. Beyond that however I will not be attacking the Soviet Union, China or the United States until 1944. By then I hope to have jet fighters, jet bombers and nuclear weapons with which to strike down the Americans.
xReaper7x
BattleGoat Team

Re: AAR Japan

Post by xReaper7x »

Sounds great! Can't wait to hear more!
Kevin
BattleGoat Studios
Coop
Cdiplayer
Colonel

Post by Cdiplayer »

As of right now it is January of 1941 and I've seen Finland and France crushed. Vichy France never came into existence for some reason. I declared war on French Indochina and wound up getting all of France's colonies as a result. I think it might be better, when multiple foes are attacking a country with colonies, to only give them the colony/colonies that they declare war on. December 7th 1941 a whole bunch of countries declared war on me, including China and Great Britain. I made peace with everybody except China and used the huge boost in relations to get an alliance with the United States. As of May 1942 the Germans have landed in Britain and I am awaiting their demise so I can snap up their colonies. Also, how do I make the Menjiang event fire? I am invading China but no Menjiang yet...
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Cdiplayer wrote: I made peace with everybody except China and used the huge boost in relations to get an alliance with the United States..
Does that mean that endless wars are eliminated??
Please teach AI everything!
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Playing as USA, i've made peace with Germany, Italy and Japan by late 1942/early 43. If you have good relations (due to trade, etc.) before the war, the more likely they are to offer peace.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Aragos wrote:Playing as USA, i've made peace with Germany, Italy and Japan by late 1942/early 43. If you have good relations (due to trade, etc.) before the war, the more likely they are to offer peace.
Not tested the wars yet but this sounds like an improvement. Hope this also applies to AI vs. AI wars...
Please teach AI everything!
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

I never offered to them--they did with me. I think the key point is going for a while without fighting. It lowers the animosity between the countries to the point that one or another will offer peace.

Not sure about AI vs. AI wars. I've watched UK DoW USSR twice at VH Vol, and they never made peace (that may have more to do with the Volitility level)
Cdiplayer
Colonel

Post by Cdiplayer »

Okay so it is now 1949 and I have finally defeated China. I colonized them and ran into a problem. My colony of Manchukuo merged with my colony of China and now only the capital of Shenyang still belongs to Manchukuo. This is something that needs to be fixed because I don't want Manchukuo to lose almost all of its territory just because I colonized China!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Cdiplayer wrote:Okay so it is now 1949 and I have finally defeated China. I colonized them and ran into a problem. My colony of Manchukuo merged with my colony of China and now only the capital of Shenyang still belongs to Manchukuo. This is something that needs to be fixed because I don't want Manchukuo to lose almost all of its territory just because I colonized China!
Do you have a savegame from before you colonized them? What you're describing doesn't sound like a bug, so if we're going to evaluate the system and rules we use now a savegame would be helpful.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Cdiplayer
Colonel

Post by Cdiplayer »

Balthagor wrote:
Cdiplayer wrote:Okay so it is now 1949 and I have finally defeated China. I colonized them and ran into a problem. My colony of Manchukuo merged with my colony of China and now only the capital of Shenyang still belongs to Manchukuo. This is something that needs to be fixed because I don't want Manchukuo to lose almost all of its territory just because I colonized China!
Do you have a savegame from before you colonized them? What you're describing doesn't sound like a bug, so if we're going to evaluate the system and rules we use now a savegame would be helpful.
I do have a save game from beforehand but it is about 3 years before they surrendered...I can play through it again and make another save right before I take their capital if you want.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Please. 3 years is too far ahead. 2-5 days would be optimal.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Cdiplayer
Colonel

Post by Cdiplayer »

Balthagor wrote:Please. 3 years is too far ahead. 2-5 days would be optimal.
here is a save that is one day before the surrender. I just took the capital. http://www.filedropper.com/beforesurrender2 Also, something I've noticed about "dead" countries that come back to life by forming partisan units, when you crush them you don't get the option to colonize or liberate them. I think this would be a cool feature. I recently invaded Canada and Quebec partisans started showing up but I couldn't liberate Quebec because they were "dead".
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

okay, I'll look into this.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Cdiplayer
Colonel

Post by Cdiplayer »

In my most recent game as Japan I declared war on French Indochina and after France fell the war continued. I think a better way of handling this would be for colonies that you are at war with to become your colony once their mother country falls while all other colonies that you are not at war with become independent.
Jakt80
Lieutenant

Post by Jakt80 »

I'm not so sure about that. After France fell, many colonies became part of Free French Forces, while some became vichy french colonies. None of them became German IIRC. Did Japan instantly control the colonies she was at war with when France fell irl?

Return to “After Action Reports”