Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Arahatree
Lt. Colonel
Human: Yes

Collection of important BUGS that, if fixed, could make SRU great again

Post by Arahatree »

Hi!

First of all i have to say that i love this game. I'm not pointing out bugs to criticize, but to make this game playable and great again. On my opinion SRU is the best game ever, and sadly this few important bugs are making it unplayable.

I understand this game will not be improved by developers, or having new features, etc. That's ok and perfect, because everything has to come to an end. However, if the most important bugs are not fixed, i feel that the game has being left unfinished, abandoned and unplayable. That really breaks my heart, to see so much potential on this game and some of the most important things are not working.

And i don't think those bugs are difficult to fix or need big resources to fix, because they were working before in other verions of the game (maybe they just need copy-paste the code that was working before and that's it, in 5 minutes they can be fixed, right?).

Next i explain the bugs with screenshots:

1) I chose to play Hanoi Hilton scenario. I chose North vietnam vs France. I remember in previous versions of SRU i couldn't survive this situation, but now, on the same settings, i kicked the french out of asia very easily because they are not sending reinforcements at all. I'm playing settings with military very hard, diplomacy normal, and the rest default, the same settings as years before. Before, years ago, the french were bringing to the port units and more units that i was unable to stop.

Why this change of AI behaviour? From time to time i've turned off fog of war to see what the AI was doing, and not a single unit has come to the port in the whole scenario. I think i discovered why. Since i can't load the game as France and look at the AI settings i can't tell for sure, but i think i discovered the reason when i realized the next bug.

The same problem has being noticed by another player that started a topic:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=31894
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Arahatree on Dec 06 2020, edited 2 times in total.
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Re: Collection of important BUGS that, if fixed, could make SRU great again

Post by Arahatree »

2) Now i chose to play Barbarossa. I'm playing as Germany.
Settings: Ai stance agressive, military very hard, all the rest default.

At the beginning i bring all my units to the border. When i'm ready, i declare war to Soviet Union. Then i'm waiting, and waiting... and from time to time comes to fight one or two soviet units. And that's it, no battle. So i decide to advance, and i only encounter from time to time a few units that come to fight. I won super easily, because soviet units didn't move in the whole scenario, each group of units only attacked when i was on top of the group.

I start a new game, the same thing happens. So, i turned off fog of war and i realized all soviet units are standing in groups not moving, like a sitting duck, ready to get killed group by group. I loaded the game as Soviet union and i discoverd that the AI has set the defense minister controlling all its units (land, air and sea) at medium. I set them at full, changed back to play as Germany, and then i really had to fight a difficult war.

So, i had to cheat in order to solve the AI problem, but in Hanoi Hilton i can't load the game as France, so i can't fix that scenario or similar scenarios.

In the next screenshot you can see how the AI keep all units in small groups that don't move for the whole scenario. As you can see in the third screenshot, most of the groups are small to be easily defeated, and they all have the same asterisk shape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

After cheating to fix that problem, i set AI minister of defense full control of its units, in all branches (land, air and sea). Now soviet units come to the border to fight (not all of them come, which is ok).

But the next bugs started to appear. (Before in other topic I already reported the bug that units don't go to repair when they are controlled by the minister. As a consequence i will not mention that bug because Balthagor already registered it). But now, the units don't go to repair even when they are locked to be in control of the human player.

3) Units don't go to repair when locked from minister (when they are controlled by human player).

This units that refuse to move when ordered to repair, are set at low Loss Tolerance, they have full supplies, a clear path to barracs, they are not suppressed, i canceled previous orders before order again going to repair. No matter what i do, after repeatedly being ordered to go to repair, they still don't go and don't move at all.
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

4) Units don't go to hotspots:

I set several units to be controlled by the minister, at low level of initiative. I set a bunch of hotspots in front of them, but they refuse to go. I let days and days pass, and those hotspots are empty, the units are in "Idle" with their names in yellow because they don't have any orders, just sitting there in front of the hotspots not moving to the empty hotspots for the rest of the game.

Curious enough, those same units moved at the start of the game to the previous hotspots that i already deleted.

So, i locked them from minister and unlocked again. I set them at full initiative, i set the minister at full initiative, i set several of them at different levels of initiative (mixed)... i tried everything, but they don't want to move to the hotspots. After a couple of weeks waiting, a few units came all the way from normandia to the hotspots (those few units traveled 2000 km to come to the hotspots, but the units that i wanted and put in front of the hotspots refused to travel 80 km to get there).
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

5) Units go to attack ignoring high priority empty hotspots to defend:

There are always several units that instead of going to occupy empty hotspots that i set at full priority, they go on their own will to attack the enemy in zones that i don't want to attack. As far as i know, soldiers obey generals. But this military units must be anarchists, because they do whatever they want. And, after i select them and bring them back behind the border, they go again back to attack the enemy on their own. They do this again and again no matter how many times i bring them back behind the border.

This units are set to be controlled by the minister at low initiative. I know at this initiative they are supposed to do border recognition. But why do they go on border recognition if i have high priority empty hotspots right in front of them?

By the way, can't we have a level of initiative from the minister in which the units go to repair, go to hotspots, but don't go to attack on their own?

Anyways, high priority empty hotspots are much more important than the capricious walks of the units around enemy land (most of them are cut off from the supplies line by the anemy and obviously die. I don't go to rescue them, they deserve it for desobeying my orders to stay on hotspots).
Last edited by Arahatree on Dec 06 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

As a result of those 5 important bugs, it's impossible to do a nice blitzkrieg that i was trying to do. That leaves this game unplayable (except if you just want to do the dumb move (grab all units and send to attack capital)), we can't manage 2000 units one by one, sending them to repair, setting them to the hotspots one by one.... it's just impossible. We need a whole real life year to make a Barbarossa or even a smaller battle.

If this 5 bugs get fixed, this game becomes better than Hearts of Iron 4 and better than all strategy/geopolitical games ever. So, 5 main bugs (that were working in previoius versions) are the difference between the best game of all times or something unplayable.

As a summary i show here how a glorious blitzkrieg turned out to be a disaster thanks to this bugs:
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

I hope all this could be fix now, instead of waiting three or four years to SR next generation.

I already pointed out in other topics some other bugs that at least don't make combat impossible to play, I could live without those fixed (Well, actually nuclear penalties not working are making this game too easy: don't produce any tank or soldier at all and scrap all your units, you don't need them, just make 200 nukes and launch them to any country and you will win with everybody loving you). However, these last bugs that i indicate in this topic are making combat in this game unplayable (or only playable in the dumb way).

Honestly, all this bugs instead of making me feel like a "Supreme Ruler" (or at least like the general of the army that commands his untis and directs the course of the battle) make me feel like the clown of the army that soldiers laugh instead of obeying: they don't go to defend my high priority hotspots, they go to attack or go for a walk when i tell them repeatedly to stay behind, and they don't go to repair when i tell them manually unit by unit.

I hope this game hasn't being abandoned with the most important bugs unfixed. But, if this is not going to be fixed, can someone please tell me which one of the previous versions of the game i can play without this bugs? maybe in steam i could revert to old versions to play?

Thank you in advance, and thank you for reading all this long topic.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Just a bit of FYI, I haven't had time to read this yet, but I feel the need to comment. A number of years ago we made a post where we explained that having one thread per bug/issue is much more effective for us to try and address the issues. It means we can close off resolved threads and what remains gets smaller. Creating really big threads means we're less likely to find time between work on it between GR feature work and start digging. Also, some of these may already exist in other threads, it would be a good idea to search the forums before starting a new thread.

Just sharing so you have a better idea of how we triage these things.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

Balthagor wrote: Dec 07 2020 Just a bit of FYI, I haven't had time to read this yet, but I feel the need to comment. A number of years ago we made a post where we explained that having one thread per bug/issue is much more effective for us to try and address the issues. It means we can close off resolved threads and what remains gets smaller. Creating really big threads means we're less likely to find time between work on it between GR feature work and start digging. Also, some of these may already exist in other threads, it would be a good idea to search the forums before starting a new thread.

Thank you very much Balthagor.

Ok, when i get free time i will separate each of these bugs into different topics. I searched for this bugs on other topics, i only lightly mentioned some that are in other topics, but the rest are new. Anyways, i'll do it that way you said.
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

Balthagor wrote: Dec 07 2020 Just a bit of FYI, I haven't had time to read this yet, but I feel the need to comment. A number of years ago we made a post where we explained that having one thread per bug/issue is much more effective for us to try and address the issues. It means we can close off resolved threads and what remains gets smaller. Creating really big threads means we're less likely to find time between work on it between GR feature work and start digging. Also, some of these may already exist in other threads, it would be a good idea to search the forums before starting a new thread.

Tomorrow i'll have free time to be working on separating all these bugs into different topics. But i have a question: do i remove this topic after i do that, or do i leave it anyways just the way it is right now?

thank you, and i'm sorry that i didn't know how these bugs should have being reported.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

No worries, I applaud your enthusiasm.

Maybe leave this thread. We as moderators can "split" threads. Eventually we'll chop this one up. Just for new issues, I'd suggest separate threads.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

Balthagor wrote: Dec 07 2020 No worries, I applaud your enthusiasm.

Maybe leave this thread. We as moderators can "split" threads. Eventually we'll chop this one up. Just for new issues, I'd suggest separate threads.
Ok, unless you say the contrary i will leave this one just the way it is. And for any other new issues i will separate threads just as you told me. Thanks :-)

Return to “Issues and Support”