helis not staying on heli carriers

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Rosalis
Colonel
Human: Yes

helis not staying on heli carriers

Post by Rosalis »

Ok altho its interesting and all to talk about them. I expect carriers with the helicopter symbol to be used for heli's and the one with the plane for planes. I can only use transport helicopter on carriers with the plane symbol. It confuses me why is that? Bug? I cant find a bug report about it.

Also noticed something weird. My Yak-60 transport helicopters auto supply on naval hexes after it goes down to 80% supply. This way i can cross the ocean no problem. Maybe its intended new feature but yeah just thought i would mention it.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Re: helis not staying on heli carriers

Post by GIJoe597 »

The Yak, indeed all aircraft, refuel from internal stores if they have supply available. This is why it can cross great distances. If you watch the helo and monitor supply level in the cargo you will notice it being used.

Can you give an exact example so I may test it? Which helicopter, which carrier?
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I assume you are also trying to land the Yak-60 on a short deck/helicopter carrier? The Yak-60 is set to have the LongDeckTakeOff flag but not ShortDeckTakeOff meaning it cannot be operated on helicopter carriers.

I would consider this an oversight. It should be either or. The landing facilities is not the problem.

Personally I would say it should not be capable of landing on a carrier at all. Yes it "can" land there but so can a C-130 Hercules. The problem is the aviation facilities are not really designed for such a monster. It cannot fit on the elevators meaning it is stuck on the deck where the massive size makes normal operations very difficult.
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

The Yak-60 helicopter and carriers i tried are
C-550 Cavour
L9895-Trieste
CV-1143.4 Kiev

It worked on my US save with the US heli i think, but yeah i rarely use that since it can only hold 3 special forces instead of 7. It might have been years i tried the biggest US one, not even sure.

Thanks Nerei. Missed that icon. After all it doesnt really mather, crossing the ocean the heli only use about 100 fuel out of 480, despite the 1k range stat. The ocean is my carrier.

Now you bring up the C-130 why transport capacity is so low? Alot of nations got them, or a half one, but besides supplying units you cant do much with it. Isnt this the main transport plane to transport troops?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The Yak-60 should really be fixed. Having a helicopter that is only capable of landing on a long deck carrier makes no sense. Long deck vs short deck is not really about the size of the carrier but its design (size can be a limitation but basic design is just as important).

The Yak-60 is unique in this. The only other helicopter that I know of that cannot land on both long and short deck carriers is the HUS-1 Seahorse (ID 14236) which can only land on shortdeck carriers.

I will write a bug report in the unit errata thread on both of these.

The C-130 is not a particularly large transport aircraft. It is mainly used as a troop or cargo transport. It can also be used to deploy paratroopers. It is possible to load it with vehicles but its limited payload means it is quite restricted what vehicles it can carry.

The arguments for the C-130 is that it is a rugged, reliable aircraft that can operate from a lot of different runways. You can land it on a grassy field if you want. Yes aircraft like the C-5 can do it too but turbofan engines really do not like ingesting dirt.
From what I understand it also handles really, really well. For a few years there actually where an aerobatics team using the C-130. Yes aerobatics in a 4 engine turboprop transport aircraft.
In terms of price it is also not terrible.

Basically a number of the reasons C-130 is good is something the game does not consider.

You actually got an advantage in the game in that BG tends to go with absolute maximum possible payload. That nets you around 5 tonnes of cargo capacity over what it would normally fly with.

One of the problem with loading vehicles into the C-130 is that unless you go with really light vehicles you cannot cram more than one into each aircraft. The problem with that is that each aircraft unit contains 12 aircraft while whatever they are going to carry is probably 40+ vehicles.
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

Some interesting info, thanks. Gameplay design is indeed important. No reason that the gamer has to suffer on micromanagement, because of design descision to keep naval units at 1 while air is 12. I understand why that is, there is not much naval power in the world.

In a 5+ year game, those numbers seem to mean very little with thousands of units x 12. Manpower and impact to the economy is basicly no factor. In US war i got down to 50k manpower, but it just replenishes every time to 50k. On the other hand i should have way more manpower as China when i pretty much pay max salaries but can hardly grow my reserves. 4-5M military with 3.5B population. I feel like i should be clooser to 10 million at this point. Not that i need it. Like 90% is facilities. Manpower for logistics, communication, medics, repairs. etc., seems to be pretty much non existent when i deploy my military in big numbers. But yeah im getting way to far again. Im interested in your reaction possible ideas. Its not that it is broken, but yeah it can certainly be improved in both feedback and maybe just some adjustments when looking at the economy.

Return to “Issues and Support”