Some technologies and units not available when playing as some countries

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

mcarson
Corporal
Human: Yes

Some technologies and units not available when playing as some countries

Post by mcarson »

In SRU, when I play in sandbox mode as, for example, United States or United Kingdom I have access to a very large technology tree. When (in my latest game) I play as North Korea, I have a reduced technology tree and the units that the technologies provide.
I assume that this is planned?
Is there a way to change this behaviour? The units are "Worldwide" and should be available, IMO.
dax1
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Some technologies and units not available when playing as some countries

Post by dax1 »

there is only 1 tech-tree in game, it's the same for every region in game.
Con forza ed ardimento
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

While all techs are available to all nations not all unit designs are. That is what this is all about from what I can tell.

Unit designs are available based on region groups. Nations have access to designs based on what region groups they belong to. E.g 2020 UK belongs to groups the groups Western Europe and United Kingdom so it can research any designs in either of those two groups.

Also you are right in that not all groups are equal. The United states group for one is by far the largest one with the best availability in all types of unit designs.

In the case of North Korea I am fairly certain it only has access to the "North Korea" region group. That is for both 1949 and 2017-2020.

There is quite a few nations in a similar situation. Most of the majors in 1936 and 1949 from what I remember.
If this is intentional for North Korea I cannot say.
milivoje02
Colonel

Post by milivoje02 »

It should really be inserted worldwide units in all types of units. Because they are non-Russians and the Americans they have no option to develop units. The goal of the game is to conquer the world with one country? As more countries are conquered, it means that there are more resorts. And if there are a lot of resorts, then the signs mean that she should be allowed to develop her own not to buy from its rivals. because it's unrealistic. Russia would sell Serbia Suhoj 35 ih Srbia conquer all Europe ? it would not be because Russia would feel vulnerable. So it would be more realistic for all countries to have the opportunity to develop units in all fields. So now if there's money in the country, let it develop if there is no money, let her unit stand in a technological tree.
mcarson
Corporal

Post by mcarson »

I have double-checked (using a trainer :o ) and researched the entire tech tree. Whereas all technologies are developed by every country, units are not. Obvious ones are Abrams tank for US etc. and missile types are country specific, mostly.
The most powerful (highest order) unit that I have found in the US/UK/France is SLAV4-III (outrageously powerful and expensive), but in North Korea it is YW704 or EWF-1 Valet. I am only including the infantry units here.
I have checked and the SLAV4 is of Multiple origin - North Korea or the region (China, South Korea?, Thailand, Myanmar etc) does not have the capability to research some designs (just the prerequisite technologies). I've only ever made it twice to the end of the tech tree; being far too easy to get WAY ahead of the regions that are left after 8 years in game.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Multiple designs basically means "more than one". It can be 2 or it can be 20 (highest I know of is 17).

The WAH-64 Longbow is an example of a "multiple" units being available to the UK and US region groups.

Likewise the VH-118 APC is multiple but it is in region groups South Africa, Argentina/Brazil, Western Europe, Israel, Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Canada/Australia, Other, India, Northern Europe, Republic of China/Philippines and World.

If you want to look up who exactly can build a design I recommend either looking in default.unit. It can be opened in any text editor or the asset manager. The latter might be more manageable if you have not looked at that file before.

You can find the full list of region codes here

Edit: Also if in doubt about who has access to a certain region group you can look at the CVP files that are located in the maps directory of the SR root folder. They are named things like Coldwar.cvp so it should be possible to figure out which one is relevant for which starting date. The field should be Worldavail.
Yes I know this is a convoluted way to look these things up.

Also you can use the stresstest cheat to unlock all non-unit design research.

Return to “Issues and Support”