CRASH TO DESKTOP

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

CRASH TO DESKTOP

Post by mrgenie »

Playing Supreme Ruler a few years now, irregularly.. as I have time to have a bit fun..

yesterday playing a bit..
shut down game..
shut down computer..

all normal.

all of the sudden today can't start the game anymore. Either it crashes before I get into the main screen OR
after clicking any of the buttons.

Any ideas? Maybe the Game Hub scrwed up?

Uninstalled and reinstalled the game already. didn't help.

Also used steam verify file integrity says all ok!

Just checked all RAM modules with RAM testers.. all ok.
No other software crashing.

Nividia drivers just to be sure reinstalled latest version..

No known or detectable hardware issues.

this really sucks. So basically:

I can never ever play SR anymore because everything is 100% working except SR all of the sudden.
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: CRASH TO DESKTOP

Post by Balthagor »

Always annoying when a computer decides to do something strange.

Did you get any driver updates pushed via windows? Like you said, it worked before, and we haven't posted an update in some time now. I would suggested doing an install then restarting the system before reinstalling. Perhaps there are some windows registry values that didn't get cleared out on uninstall? It should clean them, but I've seen that fail.

Not sure what more to suggest...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Re: CRASH TO DESKTOP

Post by mrgenie »

GOT IT!

Wasn't the game at all, although all other games didn't experience this issue it was the NVIDIA drivers!
No Update done since 6 months though, so beats me why they all of the sudden didn't work (wrong windows shutdown command??)

Anyway, DXDIAG showed no errors, I really did a very thorough troubleshoot but all just fine.

Because I could guess, next to RAM, the GPU I already did a reinstall with latest drivers up to no good.

@Balthagor: "Perhaps there are some windows registry values that didn't get cleared out on uninstall? It should clean them, but I've seen that fail."

was where I got thinking: hey, maybe the same with nvidia drivers?

So instead of reinstalling I completely wiped out the drivers from the computer. (including the fallback drivers)
then restart
then install from scratch the drivers

et voila! Works.

Nvidia should put it in their troubleshooter if reinstalling doesn't work (and I used their clean option) you better manually from the hardware manager delete all corresponding drivers including fallback and install from scratch.

Thanks for the tip!
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906

Return to “Issues and Support”