SR:U Insider doesn't work at all (fixed)

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

SR:U Insider doesn't work at all (fixed)

Post by Kristijonas »

I installed SR:U Insider build on my PC and it doesn't work. When I double click it on Steam, Steams says "preparing to run SR" then that window disappears and nothing happens. I'm on a freshly installed Windows 10 machine, but I've run ~4 different anti-windows-spying programs and disabled a lot of things so that could be that perhaps. Not sure what exactly though. Supreme Ruler: Ultimate regular version (9.0.75) works flawlessly though!). Files verified on Steam, no problems there.
Could it be something in my Steam settings (customized) not being compatible with the new Steam overlay in game or with Steam multiplayer?
Could it be one of the services (listed in the link below) being required but disabled on my machine?
Full specs:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/e13C ... xHmpSIu1fR
I hope we can solve this so it wouldn't happen for future players.
Oh, also, SR:U Insider build worked on my laptop with Win7.

[Edit by moderator: title updated]
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Re: SR:U Insider doesn't work at all

Post by YoMomma »

No probs here, but i think its one of your virus scanners. Im running W10 and a good virus scanner.
Gameplay 1st
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

I have no virus scanners, even defender is off. Firewall is off too. Also I verified game files so nothing was quarantined/deleted.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

I changed all Steam, overlay, etc settings back so it's not that. What could it be? :/ I'm guessing something in my Windows settings? Would be good to find out what it is!
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Wow, it was a missing Directx 9 dll file because I had not installed Directx runtime on my PC yet. Weird, I thought Windows 10 had all of Directx 9.0c files by default! (I mean, it has Directx 12 by default...)

So, problem solved. I just wish Steam would have told me that that was the problem.

I only managed to find the problem by going manually to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Supreme Ruler Ultimate and trying to run the executable which then provided an error message (Steam did not).

Hope that helps anyone with similar problems or perhaps will allow Battlegoat to arrange some kind of a warning to users. This will probably be a rare issue as my Windows 10 is freshly installed.

Return to “Issues and Support”