Iceland ww2

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

JollyGoodBork
Captain
Human: Yes

Iceland ww2

Post by JollyGoodBork »

Iceland should NOT be independent in the maps set before and during ww2.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Iceland ww2

Post by Balthagor »

Well then it's probably a good thing we didn't make them independent...

I just checked the 1941 sandbox and it's a British Colony. I looked at the other sandboxes and it's not listed as a playable (independent) region.

If you know something we don't please provide a bit more information.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:Well then it's probably a good thing we didn't make them independent...

I just checked the 1941 sandbox and it's a British Colony. I looked at the other sandboxes and it's not listed as a playable (independent) region.

If you know something we don't please provide a bit more information.
It was colony of Denmark.
Please teach AI everything!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I think in '36 it's a colony of Denmark, but by '41 the British have invaded to be sure it does not fall into German hands.

If someone is seeing an error, please be very precise about which campaign/scenario/sandbox you're looking. We have a lot of maps at this point.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Yes as Balthagor said the British occupied Iceland in May 1940 after failing to reach an agreement with the local government.
I am pretty sure Iceland is only allied with Denmark in 1936 but I could be mistaken and I do not have an install available right now to check. However the question is how should Iceland be represented as it was technically in a personal union with Denmark but maintained their own prime minister, parliament etc. To me the current situation is probably not wrong.

Also while on the topic of Denmark I memory serves me right the Faroe Islands are set as a German colony after the invasion of Denmark but historically the British occupied the islands in 1940 as part of their intervention in Norway.
JollyGoodBork
Captain

Post by JollyGoodBork »

Balthagor wrote:I think in '36 it's a colony of Denmark, but by '41 the British have invaded to be sure it does not fall into German hands.

If someone is seeing an error, please be very precise about which campaign/scenario/sandbox you're looking. We have a lot of maps at this point.
In my game, Iceland is independent and playable in the 1936 scenario.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Okay, thanks. We'll look into fixing that.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Buzzbrad
General

Post by Buzzbrad »

JollyGoodBork wrote:In my game, Iceland is independent and playable in the 1936 scenario.

After looking into it some more, Iceland was independent from 1918 - 1940. However it seems the leader isn't correct, so we will look into changing that.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

To be exact the Kingdom of Iceland was in a personal union with Denmark from 1918 to 1944 when the Icelandic parliament following a referendum dissolved the personal union and created the republic of Iceland. As part of this personal union Denmark would handle foreign and defence politics. Basically Denmark would handle all that a traditional SR colonial master handles. Iceland only assumed control over its foreign affairs and coastal patrol after the German occupation of Denmark.

Also keep in mind that you have countries like Manchukuo set as a colony despite it also "formally" being an independent country and unlike Iceland actually fielded and army. Also Manchukuo officially had a ministry of foreign affairs which from what I understand is more than Iceland had. Yes it basically just mirrored what Tokyo said but still...

We really need some sort of puppet state status where a region has full control over everything but foreign policy.

Finally if that is enough to make Iceland an independent country then you really need to set both the Faroe Islands and Greenland as independent countries in 2017/2020 as they both have parliaments with an elected prime minister and all mainland Denmark really controls is again foreign and defence politics.
The modern day Denmark is really a union of 3 "countries". The danish mainland as well as Greenland and the Faroe Islands. The main connecting ties is a shared head of state and shared foreign and defence politics.
Naturally there is also extensive political cooperation but officially everything but foreign and defence politics is decided locally to. However both the Faroe Islands and Greenland receives economic aid so I guess at least unofficially Copenhagen can still dictate quite a bit.
Buzzbrad
General

Post by Buzzbrad »

Nerei wrote:To be exact the Kingdom of Iceland was in a personal union with Denmark from 1918 to 1944 when the Icelandic parliament following a referendum dissolved the personal union and created the republic of Iceland. As part of this personal union Denmark would handle foreign and defence politics. Basically Denmark would handle all that a traditional SR colonial master handles. Iceland only assumed control over its foreign affairs and coastal patrol after the German occupation of Denmark.

Also keep in mind that you have countries like Manchukuo set as a colony despite it also "formally" being an independent country and unlike Iceland actually fielded and army. Also Manchukuo officially had a ministry of foreign affairs which from what I understand is more than Iceland had. Yes it basically just mirrored what Tokyo said but still...

We really need some sort of puppet state status where a region has full control over everything but foreign policy.

Finally if that is enough to make Iceland an independent country then you really need to set both the Faroe Islands and Greenland as independent countries in 2017/2020 as they both have parliaments with an elected prime minister and all mainland Denmark really controls is again foreign and defence politics.
The modern day Denmark is really a union of 3 "countries". The danish mainland as well as Greenland and the Faroe Islands. The main connecting ties is a shared head of state and shared foreign and defence politics.
Naturally there is also extensive political cooperation but officially everything but foreign and defence politics is decided locally to. However both the Faroe Islands and Greenland receives economic aid so I guess at least unofficially Copenhagen can still dictate quite a bit.
Thanks for the information Nerei. All fair and valid points and definitely something we will consider. I will talk it over with the team.
JollyGoodBork
Captain

Post by JollyGoodBork »

Wouldn't that basically just be the current colony status except the colony can refuse your trade offers? Apart from realism, I don't know why that should be implemented. I can't see a situation were such an arrangement would be better than colonising or liberating the country.

Of course, the current game mechanics are quite different compared to how most "colonies" work in real life. But from the player's perspective, is this change really worth the work it will require?

I'd rather see the possibility to turn annexed countries into colonies added to the game. That would both be realistic and useful in my eyes...
Buzzbrad
General

Post by Buzzbrad »

After discussing it with the team, in 1936 Iceland will be a Danish colony then come 1940 it will be a UK colony. This will come with the next update.

Edit: Corrected my mistake on who's colony it will be.
JollyGoodBork
Captain

Post by JollyGoodBork »

Buzzbrad wrote:After discussing it with the team, in 1936 Iceland will be a Dutch colony then come 1940 it will be a UK colony. This will come with the next update.
I'm sorry if I come off as a know it all, but people from Denmark aren't dutch. They're Danish. Dutch people come from the Netherlands. The Dutch language is spoken in the Netherlands and northern Belgium. So when you said that Iceland was Dutch I got really confused.

I know it might sound a bit complicated but that's how it is. Don't feel stupid tho, Americans and Canadians make these mistakes all the time. I come from Sweden which many americans mistake for Switzerland.
And we europeans have no clue when it comes to american states or canadian provinces.

Oh, and by the way. Remember that Iceland should remain independent in the maps after ww2. Just in case you end up making them a british colony in the modern maps too.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The purpose would be to have a colony type entity that recruits (mostly substandard) troops among the local populace and potentially cover say border areas with these.

A good example of this would be the Japanese puppet states of Manchukuo and the reorganised national Chinese government. In total these two states had upwards of 500.000 men under arms between them.

The puppet state of Mengkiang is also a good example as it actually fielded a fairly good locally recruited mainly mongol army.

As for exactly how it is implemented I really could not care less. If it is as little a checkbox that says "recruit local army" I would be happy. I just want to be able to create colony style enteties and have them at least pretend to do something to defend themselves. If it was at the (low) risk of them revolting forcing me to use my own army to defeat the revolt then all the better.

Also I think the problem is that both "danish" and "dutch" starts with "D" and they are both somewhere in Europe so it is confusing the poor Canadians ^_-
dax1
Brigadier Gen.

Post by dax1 »

JollyGoodBork wrote:[...]

I'd rather see the possibility to turn annexed countries into colonies added to the game. That would both be realistic and useful in my eyes...
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 70&t=23941
Con forza ed ardimento

Return to “Issues and Support”