Declared war against every nation, AI only use garrisons

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Jack16
Captain
Human: Yes

Declared war against every nation, AI only use garrisons

Post by Jack16 »

I recently was interested in seeing how the AI as USA (in Global Crisis 2020 mode) would respond if it suddenly at the beginning of the game was at war against every nation in the game. What happened was that most nations have used up all their manpower into garrisons, leaving almost none units to actually do the fighting.

I have never seen this happen before.

Why did this happen?

Edit: US and Canada finally begun attacking, at least around Toronto. It did not take long until US sent most of their forces once more to reserves. It also appears that Canada and Mexico have garrisons in every possible place. It might be the same for US, I just cant seem to figure out why...
Jack16
Captain

Re: Declared war against every nation, AI only use garrisons

Post by Jack16 »

I think I know what happened, or what made it happen. I started the first game in singelplayer, then ported it into multiplayer. That might have made some issues to the AI somehow...

At least now it is working, now that I started everything in multiplayer and followed the path. This will be very exciting to see.

Edit: It appears that the AI regularly send the forces into reserve and then use most of the manpower into garrisons. Now 25. July, there is no progress. US got to Venezuela, but then they stopped and have once more sent garrisons to every possible place. Might it be some kind of tactic the AI use if the world is at Defcon 1? Is it an error or a bug that happens when an AI is at war against the whole world and the world doesnt know how to respond?
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Known issue to me.. Garrisons cost loads of manpower hurting the already dumb ai decision making. If you declare war other country will in time put garissions to the max in all cities as long the got enough MP. They should just garisson the borders...
Gameplay 1st
Jack16
Captain

Post by Jack16 »

But this is the first time it have happened to me. I think I have never seen this before that the AI practically tries to fill up all garrison in every possible place.

Strange though that this seems to happen even more for you.
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Well for example Germany vs Netherlands you wont notice it. But if China declares war on Philipinnes and all the other neighbours, eventually they will have most their militairy in cities as garrisons. In the end they only have arty/aa deployed and tons of garrisons (after all failed naval invasions). No MP to train (and preserve) infantry/tanks.
Gameplay 1st
Jack16
Captain

Post by Jack16 »

Hmm, then it might be something hardcoded into the AI behaviour. That if it is at war against all of its neighbours then it will try to use all its manpower and efforts into defensive positions, garrisons being one of them.

That does not explain why every other nation in the world did the same thing, at least in my game.
Jack16
Captain

Post by Jack16 »

I have now tried out to see if the AI responds differently if it have unlimited military goods and industrial goods. It seems to hold out for several months longer before it sends its units to reserve and use garrions. The interesting difference is that this time US (is the country I made at war against the world while I am New Zealand) does not send its forces to reserve at any time, and does not try to garrison everything as possible, but rather push on until their economy is bankrupt.

I would love to see some from the Battlegoat team and their answers to this kind of behaviour of the AI. There must be a way to change it.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I've not encountered anything like this and AI isn't my area.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Jack16
Captain

Post by Jack16 »

Might I send you one of my saves then? It seems to be the matter for almost every nation on the map except some very few.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

You can send it if you like, not sure when we'll get a chance to look at it. Please zip the file and include ticket 21178 in the subject line.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Jack16
Captain

Post by Jack16 »

A bit late, but still got this problem. It is very annoying after some months ingame and suddenly almost all wars in the world slows down. What I usually find funny is to see how some countries wage war and how powerful they might become, that is after all why I changed some of the files so that there is nearly unlimited production of industrial goods, military goods, petroleum, etc.

These are some few of the save files:

http://www.megafileupload.com/iwTA/Nort ... _FUN_1.SAV - This one I just tried to play as North-Korea in a game that got Very High Volatility. At this moment in the game, almost all countries in the world have started to put all personnel into garrisons.

http://www.megafileupload.com/iwTD/USA_ ... orld_1.SAV - This one I tried to make USA at war against the entire world. I did it all through Multiplayer Savefiles (though the first start of the game was started as a Singelplayer game), jumping out and then restarting as another country, then putting the file into the Singelplayer Savefile to watch the havoc start. Well, it didn't. Nearly no offensives done by any nations, all personnel is in garrisons and therefore leaving extremely few if any, to the armed forces.

This problem seems to happen very frequently and I have many more saves with AI sending everything into garrisons. Sometimes theres every nations at war doing it, sometimes it just some few nations doing it. An example would be the North Korea For FUN savefile, where Pakistan seems to not have sent all forces to the garrisons, but China on the other hand have done so. I will also send this as a ticket when I find the email of Battlegoat.
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

I can do some tests, but someone else can do that too. Lower the manpower that garrisons take. If you recognise this issue atleast. Seems like only Jack and me got the issue. And i stopped playing..

Well come to think of it, it wouldnt be a test but a fix imho.

But that leaves 1 other issue you mentioned, that some countries dont use garrisons, so yeah [_]B
Gameplay 1st
Jack16
Captain

Post by Jack16 »

Balthagor wrote:You can send it if you like, not sure when we'll get a chance to look at it. Please zip the file and include ticket 21178 in the subject line.
I did send an email, but never got a reply. It still happens, especially under WW2, when Britain sends all personnel to garrisons.

I am currently playing the mod ETW( MrEvilThadwookie ) 1936 Sandbox Mod and I am playing as South Africa. When WW2 erupted UK sent all personnel to garrisons and therefore won't even fight against the Axis. They have zero air power, nearly no ships on the sea and barely any units defending their beaches. Right now their colonies are falling like flies against the Italians.
Jack16
Captain

Post by Jack16 »

Should I just perhaps reinstall the game? I just don't hope that would make mye IS AAR save incompatible with the game...
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

My saves were so far compatible with updates.

Return to “Issues and Support”