Merchant marines issue

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

nick-bang
Colonel
Human: Yes
Location: A dark and ominous room - only illuminated by the eerie light of a computerscreen

Re: Merchant marines issue

Post by nick-bang »

SOOOO.... I am playing an 1949 Sandbox as Southafrica.

And as far as I can see the problem is by no means solved. I dont really get it: it only seems to really affect the 19 49 (and maybe WW2 - have not tried it). I can work with many other issues, but to see France just wasting their troops in Russia with zero reason and plan seems really silly...
Come to think of it then maybe that is not completely irrational:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Mili ... _of_France
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/victories.html

BUT on a more serious note, then that specific bug is both annoying and gamebreaking. IS there any updates in the pipeline?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

provolone wrote:...my humble suggestion for the merchant marine and larger naval assault issues is as follows. Ships should avoid moving along coastal areas, especially when the region is aggressive or has transport treaties with an aggressive power. Instead ships should move along the center bounds of whichever sea and turn into port only when they are at a right angle to their destination...
The AI does not stop to check if it is coastal or to calculate the centre point. That would be computationally very heavy and kill game performance.
provolone wrote:...I'd just like to say again how much I appreciate the effort put into this series...
Thanks!
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Sept 1936. SRU 9.0.73 playing Germany 1936 campaign. No mods. No wars. I start hearing this gunfire . . . realize the Poles are sending ships (one ship at a time) up the Swina estuary, thence up the Oder past Stettin. They may have been doing this all along, I don't know (I only took some of my military out of reserve fairly recently and they started shooting at the interlopers) . . . nor do I have any idea why ( guess they are heading for Gliwice)
nick-bang
Colonel
Location: A dark and ominous room - only illuminated by the eerie light of a computerscreen

Post by nick-bang »

Seriously ... ?

SR Cold war is STILL unplayable because the french and everybody else STILL send all their troops by sea to be slaughtered at Leningrad ....

Could you look at this problem when going into SR The Great war .... this is a GAME BREAKING ISSUE ...
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

So now we gonna settle by promises this will be under investigation for SRGW and give up on SRU? It's not just CW.. that's just because there is a conflict on the other side of the world when game starts. When US ally S. Korea in 2020 and korea is under attack you have half the US military stuck on eastern Mexico. If Netherlands want to help Israel on the way back they sit in southern France getting killed if they dont have ally with France. In trump scenario Hillary is out of troops after 1 year etc.etc.etc. Would just be faster if you all acknowledge this happens in the whole game and not that 1 game you guys play after 1 year in hope of it getting fixed.
Gameplay 1st
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

noted. I'll review our tasks related to this at some point (currently map editing...)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
nick-bang
Colonel

Post by nick-bang »

YoMomma wrote:So now we gonna settle by promises this will be under investigation for SRGW and give up on SRU? It's not just CW.. that's just because there is a conflict on the other side of the world when game starts. When US ally S. Korea in 2020 and korea is under attack you have half the US military stuck on eastern Mexico. If Netherlands want to help Israel on the way back they sit in southern France getting killed if they dont have ally with France. In trump scenario Hillary is out of troops after 1 year etc.etc.etc. Would just be faster if you all acknowledge this happens in the whole game and not that 1 game you guys play after 1 year in hope of it getting fixed.
+1 Except I didnt mention that I wanted it fixed for SRGW .... now did I ?

Otherwise I agree ... its frigging annoying and gamebreaking in the 1936 scenario as well. Havent experienced it to the same degree in the modern scenario I have to say, but Ill take your word for it.
Vonthoma
Warrant Officer

Post by Vonthoma »

... okay that Merchant marines are killing the AI states ...

playing with my brother MP 1914 DLC
USA declared war against Austria-Hungary (Brother) ,
doing nothing 4 years , now my brother conquered some USA controlled islands near Cuba ...

USA counterattack has been over 100 or even more "merchant marines" WTF ???? and some ships ...
they have been that many, that some even landed left and right from the attacked port, but have been slaughtered !

As the AI isn't able to handle that ... and I know, it is near impossible to solve that

PLEASE COULD YOU IMAGINE a workaround, how it is now it is not fun, because you could slaughter millions of troops from the AI ...

So my suggestion is, give that damn "Merchant Marines" that values from the "Armored Merchant" or any values, which would fit BUT NOT how it is now , so that they are somehow a "weak landing" ship
At least , that the AI has a small chance and lazy humans with mass production also :-)

Thanks
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

They tried that in 1 of the patches. Basicly games became so resource intensive for computers none would play. Imagina all those weird paths getting more and more, thats not good either.
Gameplay 1st
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

I have idea i need to test. Units that can capture territory cant enter neutral waters... What about we make merchant marines able to capture territory? I think all will be fixed? They stop enter neutral territory...

I just needed to write this down so i wont forget for my mod.
Gameplay 1st
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Seems like i fixed merchant marine issue. You can contact me when you sold another 5000 copies in 3 months, if you dont ignore.
Gameplay 1st
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

YoMomma wrote:Seems like i fixed merchant marine issue. You can contact me when you sold another 5000 copies in 3 months, if you dont ignore.
What did you do? Turn Merchant Marine "OFF?" :lol:
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Anthropoid wrote:
YoMomma wrote:Seems like i fixed merchant marine issue. You can contact me when you sold another 5000 copies in 3 months, if you dont ignore.
What did you do? Turn Merchant Marine "OFF?" :lol:
YoMomma wrote:I have idea i need to test. Units that can capture territory cant enter neutral waters... What about we make merchant marines able to capture territory? I think all will be fixed? They stop enter neutral territory...

I just needed to write this down so i wont forget for my mod.
So for people who can't think for themselves; In unit file turn "no land cap" from 0 (yes) to 1 (no) in the UNIT file for merchant marines. Result is AI wont loose their infantry and tanks anymore because of bad naval pathing or travelling in neutral borders. Also alot of path issues are resolved because of it. AI doesnt loose their main fighting force, so they will behave different, also it seems regions loose civilian relations between eachother because of discrespecting naval border, so as a result you will still have good relations with allies 3 years in game instead of obsoleting all relations in the world on very high volatility. You can see result in my GOLD mod.
Last edited by YoMomma on Feb 18 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Gameplay 1st
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Great news!
Please teach AI everything!
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Nice!

When you say "unit file" which one do you mean specifically? I'm not real familiar with this games files.

I assume the data in this file only get loaded by a save file once at the launch of the play through? Or can these changes take effect in an ongoing play through?

Return to “Issues and Support”