AI does not research units

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Zuikaku
General
Human: Yes

AI does not research units

Post by Zuikaku »

[Edit by Moderator: Issue shown here resolved, bottom of page 4 for current issue, ticket 21167]

I know this is a long known issue, but I am more and more convinced that this is more game breaking than I originaly thought.
It happens in every game and it seems there is some bug in AI research. AI starts researching units, but after a year of in game time it seems all unit research is halted or decimated. So, I have loaded my current game as multiplayer.

Let me just present you the case of Germany:
- 12 research slots
- only 5 used for active research
- the rest of them have qued research, but are not researching
- of the 12 slots, only 3 are assigned for unit research and none of these is being researched, since they are cued (Why?!)
- all of the regions have similar situation in research department

Why so many slots have qued research ,but are not researching?
Maybe AI can and will assign research even for units and tech that are not researchable at the moment (need prereq)? By doing that, the slots are filled in, but research do not take place even when prereq tech is researched.

So, I can assume that AI never ever restarts/unpause techs that are in research cue. Part of the solution might be that AI periodicaly tries to restart qued research.

Another part of solution might be to force AI to research more units as unit research is grossly disbalanced.
Please teach AI everything!
dax1
Brigadier Gen.

Re: AI does not research units

Post by dax1 »

Maybe Another solution can be: 2 different kind of research center (civilians research c. and military research c.) ?+
Con forza ed ardimento
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

And another part of solution is to disable placing in the que designs we do not have all the prereqs researched. That would automatically prevent AI from filling research slots with units that can not be researched due lack of prereq techs.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

I assume this could be related to their financial situation?
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Also could it be related to players selling them lots of tech/ the AI being swamped by the amount of tech available just like I am?
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
medic911
Major

Post by medic911 »

I have seen, in my Ukraine game, ai researching units in Russia, Armenia, Egypt, Japan, and the Koreas. Russia is also stockpiling nuclear weapons. In only one case have I seen less full use of research slots. This is at 2022 and 2023. I'll try and keep watching this.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

No, in my game they all have a loads of money (Germany $10000000000, Japan $14000000000, Italy $6000000000, UK $16000000000, US $11000000000).

And since I'm playing small and technically undeveloped region, I'm not selling them techs.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

medic911 wrote:I have seen, in my Ukraine game, ai researching units in Russia, Armenia, Egypt, Japan, and the Koreas. Russia is also stockpiling nuclear weapons. In only one case have I seen less full use of research slots. This is at 2022 and 2023. I'll try and keep watching this.
I've not really seen anybody research stuff in the '49 scenario, even in the 70's the US and USSR are stuck with old units and early jets, mind you, I am the UK and have been pushing along tech but I am stuck waiting for naval production tech to be researched which makes me think that the AI cannot cope in certain scenarios with the sheer number of techs to research whilst researching decent units for that period. (Makes invading the world too easy)

medic911
Major

Post by medic911 »

I have sold some techs to some of those nations, but not all of them. Still, thAt could be part of it.

I'll reopen my Korea aar game after Ukraine and look at USA and Soviets.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

I've got a few games up to the 70's if anyone wants to look, some of them I did trade lots of techs to major powers, some I didn't but always same result pretty much

Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

So, what do you think the problem is with unit research?
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Zuikaku wrote:So, what do you think the problem is with unit research?
Too many techs so the Ai always tries to push through, and the AI cannot decide which one to take priority and so unit research doesn't get done because it is too preoccupied trying to research the techs for it. And of course once they reach the tech to research the unit, then they possibly go straight after the next set of techs for the new unit that is highest stats

Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Can the devs do something about this?? Because after a few years of gameplay time, AI rulers ends up with obsolete units and player can too easily outmatch them militarly...
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Zuikaku wrote:Can the devs do something about this?? Because after a few years of gameplay time, AI rulers ends up with obsolete units and player can too easily outmatch them militarly...
+1 to this. It probably also causes excessive units to be produced whereas they would have been replaced by newer units.

Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

You can reload the game ias multiplayer and correct AI research, but loading a game as multiplayer every now and then and correcting research for 10 major regions is really not the way to play the game |O

P.S. I have just figured out that editing and correcting research in multiplayer do not have any effect. AI just switches the research to his garbled nonsense, so there is really nothing it can be done regarding this... |O |O [_]O

Return to “Issues and Support”