Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Fastest setting, a few hours in game slows to a crawl

Post by Balthagor »

HitBDCman wrote:
Balthagor wrote:5 people is not a lot, that's all that's in this conversation and not all 5 of us are having speed issues.
Ah. Does that mean the problem is most likely not going to be looked into and fixed then? I know you've sent it to the programmer, but if it isn't a big issue with many people it sounds like it may not be put on the top of the to do list.
The more people report an issue, the higher a priority it becomes, but ultimately we're working on many issues at the same time. If we get a lucky breakthrough, a lower priority can be fixed sooner. If we have unexpected setbacks an important issue takes longer. This is one of the many reasons I don't promise anything in terms of development scheduling.

I continue to keep game speed issues a very high priority in our list of tasks.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
ixonixas
Lieutenant

Post by ixonixas »

Indeed game slowes down. I tried playing as China in World 2020. A day havent' passed and the game frozen and crashed.
For example Civ Beyond Earth was lagging for me on normal, but it worked smoothly on low settings. So what the hell is wrong with this game engine?
oberkommando
Major

Post by oberkommando »

I have done a test.

New game as the US. Conditions:

- No weather system.
- No merchant marine.
- Fog of war on.
- Scenario with units.
- Without 3D layer.
- Fixed camera over Washington D.C. close enough to see the surrounding cities names.

It took 56.4 secs to complete a day.

Resumed my game as the US wich is 5 years on, meaning i am in the year 2025.
- 3250 units.
- No 3D layer.
- Fog of war on.
- Merchant marine on.
- Weather system on.
- Same location and distance for the camera.

It took 59.4 secs to compete a day.

Tested on a vaio Fz model. It is a 5 year old laptop. 3Gb of RAM and a core 2 duo @2 GHz.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

oberkommando wrote:I have done a test.

New game as the US. Conditions:

- No weather system.
- No merchant marine.
- Fog of war on.
- Scenario with units.
- Without 3D layer.
- Fixed camera over Washington D.C. close enough to see the surrounding cities names.

It took 56.4 secs to complete a day.

Resumed my game as the US wich is 5 years on, meaning i am in the year 2025.
- 3250 units.
- No 3D layer.
- Fog of war on.
- Merchant marine on.
- Weather system on.
- Same location and distance for the camera.

It took 59.4 secs to compete a day.

Tested on a vaio Fz model. It is a 5 year old laptop. 3Gb of RAM and a core 2 duo @2 GHz.
Would you care to share that savegame file? I'd really like to test it on my i5-4690...
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by GreenGoblin »

ixonixas wrote:Indeed game slowes down. I tried playing as China in World 2020. A day havent' passed and the game frozen and crashed.
For example Civ Beyond Earth was lagging for me on normal, but it worked smoothly on low settings. So what the hell is wrong with this game engine?
What is Civ doing in the background vs this game? My guess is something very different so they are in no way comparable.
MrRipper

Post by MrRipper »

The number of views says enough i think. Im just not responding to another topic about speed. I still play without starting units because of speed issues. 6 months in game and it takes +- 70 seconds with starting units (modern scenario's).
ixonixas
Lieutenant

Post by ixonixas »

GreenGoblin wrote:
ixonixas wrote:Indeed game slowes down. I tried playing as China in World 2020. A day havent' passed and the game frozen and crashed.
What is Civ doing in the background vs this game? My guess is something very different so they are in no way comparable.
Do I compare these games? No. Do I compare the engines of these games? YES.

And to be honest the engine of Supreme Ruler kinda sucks. But the version of engine used in SR:Ultimate is the worst of all. Or is it other things? Only devs knows.
But this issue is definitely the most important.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

MrRipper wrote:The number of views says enough i think. Im just not responding to another topic about speed. I still play without starting units because of speed issues. 6 months in game and it takes +- 70 seconds with starting units (modern scenario's).
@MrRipper
Could you please share your save game file? You can use dropbox or any similar service.

@to all people complaing about speed
would you mind writing down your computer specs and any additional software running in the background during your gamplay? I'm sure BG would appreciate it. :wink:
MrRipper

Post by MrRipper »

number47 wrote:
MrRipper wrote:The number of views says enough i think. Im just not responding to another topic about speed. I still play without starting units because of speed issues. 6 months in game and it takes +- 70 seconds with starting units (modern scenario's).
@MrRipper
Could you please share your save game file? You can use dropbox or any similar service.

@to all people complaing about speed
would you mind writing down your computer specs and any additional software running in the background during your gamplay? I'm sure BG would appreciate it. :wink:
Sure can you pm me your email? I use we transfer.

My comp specs i posted in another thread about speed but here it is:
Intel(R)core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz
4,00 GB RAM
64 Bit
I know not the newest computer. But i watched system requirements when i bought this game and its like double the requirements (except resolution thats below req.). I must say i play very violent world, but i think i tried to lower it too with starting units. I usually run chrome on the background with only this forum, but strangely enough if i dont it doesnt mather (i know internet uses alot of cpu).

edit: and steam ofcourse
HitBDCman
Sergeant

Post by HitBDCman »

number47 wrote:
HitBDCman wrote:
Balthagor wrote:5 people is not a lot, that's all that's in this conversation and not all 5 of us are having speed issues.
Ah. Does that mean the problem is most likely not going to be looked into and fixed then? I know you've sent it to the programmer, but if it isn't a big issue with many people it sounds like it may not be put on the top of the to do list.
The thing is, they can do only so much about the game speed...maybe they should finally change the "Recommended system requirements" to a more realistic one? :wink:

While I used to play this game on my old rig (Intel quad core Q8200 @2.33 Mhz, 4GB of ddr2 ram, HD7850 2GB, Win7), the game always had speed issues in latter stages or during huge troop movements. Upgrading my rig to latest Intel quad core i5-4690k + 8GB ddr3 ram almost made me cry...tears of joy. I hardly use the fastest setting anymore cause often I can't react to things how fast they happen (messages, trades, etc.).

What is the point of my post? Well, partly to point out that I thought my old system was still good enough for gaming. And it was for majority of games like Skyrim, Max Payne 3 or Far Cry 3, but not for SR. SR series is extremly CPU intensive and my system greatly benefited from new cpu upgrade. Also, I want to point out to BG what kind of misconceptions happen when you don't update your "recommended system requirements" for, oh I don't know, ten years? :P

P.S. I hardly believe SRU can be played on Pentium IV with 1GB of ram (as your minimum system requirement says) :lol: :lol: :lol:
My rig is the 3570 i5 processor. 16 GB of ram, 7870 GPU, SSD, ect ect.

Its a nice rig so the rig is not the issue with my game speed. For SR games at this point i have to watch and episode of something on netflix or play ~20 minutes of another game (yes its come to the point of playing 2 games at once since turns take so long). By the time i'm done a power plant or something is built. It the only way to play now. I like playing long term sandbox games and going from say 1949 - 20xx. Its just how I play.

Note: Even with 2 games running at the same time, the turns take ~ the same amount of time. Also my other games doesn't suffer any issue while SR runs in the backround (such as civ beyond earth, league of legends, AoW, ect). So I REALLY don't think its a resource issue.

I cant seem to get more than one quote up, but thank you balthagor for the response. I know you all are doing your best to stamp out the game issues. I have been a big fan of SR since 2020, so thank you.
MrRipper

Post by MrRipper »

All of sudden my speed problems seems gone. Atleast if i reload save after a while.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

HitBDCman wrote:My rig is the 3570 i5 processor. 16 GB of ram, 7870 GPU, SSD, ect ect.

Its a nice rig so the rig is not the issue with my game speed. For SR games at this point i have to watch and episode of something on netflix or play ~20 minutes of another game (yes its come to the point of playing 2 games at once since turns take so long). By the time i'm done a power plant or something is built. It the only way to play now. I like playing long term sandbox games and going from say 1949 - 20xx. Its just how I play.

Note: Even with 2 games running at the same time, the turns take ~ the same amount of time. Also my other games doesn't suffer any issue while SR runs in the backround (such as civ beyond earth, league of legends, AoW, ect). So I REALLY don't think its a resource issue.

I cant seem to get more than one quote up, but thank you balthagor for the response. I know you all are doing your best to stamp out the game issues. I have been a big fan of SR since 2020, so thank you.
I'd really like to try your savegame to see what numbers do I get. Could you upload it somewhere?
Ater
Colonel

Post by Ater »

I really hope this issue is resolved soon, it has been getting annoying lately. I get bored of a game after a week of 30+ second days.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Ater wrote:I really hope this issue is resolved soon, it has been getting annoying lately. I get bored of a game after a week of 30+ second days.
have you sent in a savegame? The last two users who reported "slow" sent me savegames that ran at about 12sec/day. Slow is often a relative description.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Balthagor wrote:
Ater wrote:I really hope this issue is resolved soon, it has been getting annoying lately. I get bored of a game after a week of 30+ second days.
have you sent in a savegame? The last two users who reported "slow" sent me savegames that ran at about 12sec/day. Slow is often a relative description.
:cough: relistic system requirements :cough: :D

Return to “Issues and Support”