Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

beocom
Corporal
Human: Yes

Problems with automatic air transport

Post by beocom »

Hi there,

Veteran of the previous SR games but have not played for more than a year. I just bought SR Ultimate and have started a new GC2020 sandbox game and I am having some problems with the automatic air transport that I used in the older versions.

No matter what I do, I cannot get any automatic airlift of units to work as I think it should.

This is what I do:
Start a new Sandbox GC2020 game as US with default settings.
Deploy all small units. (INF, AIR, Arty etc.).
Deploy all transport planes and helo's.
Select all ground units.
Mark 'Air Transport'
Right click a destination hex with airbase.
All ground units will now move towards closest hex with air facility, but nothing more happens. I was expecting AIR TRP units to move towards bases and hex's with INF units, pick them up and transport them to the ordered location. When I check the INF units they are still have the AIR Trans order, and the AIR TRP units are idle.
I have not touched the Minister or ROE's from default. (All Units have Low Initiative. Minister has ground initiative to low, and air to high.
Also using same procedure with a non airbase destination (VTOL) makes no difference.

Manually selecting an air unit and loading/unloading troops work fine.

What am I missing?

Any help would be appreciated as playing the US without automatic troop transport would be a micro-management nightmare.
Thanks.
zero007
Warrant Officer

Re: Problems with automatic air transport

Post by zero007 »

I have allso used alot of ai controlled air transports to move my ground troops around the globe (2020, cold war and 1936). Now in ultimate 9.02 it seems that ai air transport command does not work. Ground unit moves to nearest airfield and waits for airtransport which never happens. My ground troops were locked from ai control but air transports were not...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Confirmed, we broke something somewhere. We'll get it fixed.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
beocom
Corporal

Post by beocom »

Good to know. Thanks for the support :)
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

For me, I noticed that even my paras were too fat to fit in the German transports I had traded for (biggest I could find in WW2 era).

Is there a big enough air transport in WW2 era of this game to carry paras?
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Xbwalker wrote:For me, I noticed that even my paras were too fat to fit in the German transports I had traded for (biggest I could find in WW2 era).

Split paras units in two, maybe than they'll fit. Not the greatest solution but you still be able to use your newly accuired planes. (you can merge the paras unit back again when thel land) :wink:
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
xeeks
Captain

Post by xeeks »

number47 wrote:
Xbwalker wrote:For me, I noticed that even my paras were too fat to fit in the German transports I had traded for (biggest I could find in WW2 era).

Split paras units in two, maybe than they'll fit. Not the greatest solution but you still be able to use your newly accuired planes. (you can merge the paras unit back again when thel land) :wink:
Using that... Increases the number of transport planes needed... I do wish AI could take full control of para's when at war... AI not smart enough as such we have to micro-manage para's...
Last edited by xeeks on Oct 20 2014, edited 1 time in total.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

xeeks wrote:Using that... Increases the number of transport planes needed...
Or it increases the number of times you have to fly the same planes used for the first half's of paras, depends how you want to look at it. :wink:
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
xeeks
Captain

Post by xeeks »

number47 wrote:
xeeks wrote:Using that... Increases the number of transport planes needed...
Or it increases the number of times you have to fly the same planes used for the first half's of paras, depends how you want to look at it. :wink:
That costs time... When at war inserting para's and special forces on time are very important... ;)
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

not sure if it still works but you used to be able to make a battalion and a half.. by splitting one squad of transports and adding half to a full.. may be just enough to get those fat bastards in the air. :wink:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Scoose
Major

Post by Scoose »

Fistalis wrote:not sure if it still works but you used to be able to make a battalion and a half.. by splitting one squad of transports and adding half to a full.. may be just enough to get those fat bastards in the air. :wink:
Haha I haven't tried this since 2020 :P
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Yeah, you have to split WWII para units for all the nations, and many of the commando units as well. Just too big for one airplane (read one squadron) to carry (one battalion of troops).

Post-WWII is when you start getting bigger airplanes.
Scoose
Major

Post by Scoose »

Aragos wrote:Yeah, you have to split WWII para units for all the nations, and many of the commando units as well. Just too big for one airplane (read one squadron) to carry (one battalion of troops).

Post-WWII is when you start getting bigger airplanes.
We know this, we were talking about when you could make a transporters cargo 50% larger by splitting then adiing the half to a full :D so a 1000t cargo would hold 1500t once you rejoined them.
beocom
Corporal

Post by beocom »

Would be nice to have the original problem resolved though ;)

Any chance of seeing a fix for this in the near future?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Won't be really quickly on this one, we've been neglecting a lot of other stuff doing these back to back pushes for all the engine changes. Next update will likely be a content only update (events, map fixes, techs, equipment) and that's going to be a few weeks.

What's it been? 6 days since release and 6 updates pushed? :)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Issues and Support”