Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

amynase
Lt. Colonel
Human: Yes

"Increase reserve personnel" broken.

Post by amynase »

Dear developers!

Reserve Personnel does not increase or only increases far too slow. (Or I am too dumb to understand how to make it work properly)
I tried this with several nations, always set my Minister to "increase reserve Personnel", and locked him from units, Garrisons so the value doesn't change because of those things.
Also I tried changing the values for military salaries and maint. and training , achieving no change.
So here is how much reserves I got per day with four different countries (in Sandbox mode):

Switzerland 1936: ~ 15 - 20/Day
China 1936: 1/Day
Soviet Union 1941: 0/Day
USA 1940: 0/Day

Obviously those values are broken!

If I may suggest how to deal with this problem:
Seeing how, for example, the US mobilized a total of about 12 Million Soldiers in the Second World War, which is roughly 1/10 of their population, I suggest that a country should be able to get 1/1000 of its population in reserves every month.
Let me quickly showcase this:

USA starts with 129 Million population. 129 000 000 / 1000 = 129 000 Men every month. This would mean about 4300 new reserves every day.
That means basically every country should get 1/30000 of its population in reserves every day if the minister option "Increase reserve personnel" is ticked.
I know there are some modifiers that would still influence this value. I am just talking about the base value a country should get if it wants to increase its reserves.
If a countries population grows, they would get more reserves, which also makes sense.
Also, I think that only the population that is loyal to its "owner" should count in this calculation, in case that is possible.
Reserve personnel should only be available for ~ 30 years, in case that is possible aswell, so you cant have infinite reserves by playing forever.

As I said, this is just a suggestion. I would of course also be happy if you fixed this problem in any other way, as long as it gets somewhat more realistic.

Thanks for taking the time to read this :D
Aragos
General

Re: "Increase reserve personnel" broken.

Post by Aragos »

You also need to check (under economy) if your population is increasing or decreasing. If it is decreasing, it won't generate more people for military than you already have.
amynase
Lt. Colonel

Post by amynase »

Checked for all four cases, population was increasing, and unemployment was high for all the countries.
amynase
Lt. Colonel

Post by amynase »

OK some more Info on this: It seems that the "Increase Reserve Personnel" does only work if you get close to having 0 reserves, or if a larger number of your Personel is active than in reserve mode.
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

Its just broken all this time. Getting manpower when you have 0 reserves is dependent on how big your population is in your loyal region. As China 2020 you will never run out of manpower nomather how much you loose.

The setting doesnt do anything in SRU, atleast not at the impact it used to do in SR2020. In SR2020 if you left the option on for too long it would effect your economy and actually see the option in effect, i dont experience this behaviour in SRU.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Rosalis wrote: Apr 24 2020 Its just broken all this time. Getting manpower when you have 0 reserves is dependent on how big your population is in your loyal region. As China 2020 you will never run out of manpower nomather how much you loose.

The setting doesnt do anything in SRU, atleast not at the impact it used to do in SR2020. In SR2020 if you left the option on for too long it would effect your economy, i dont experience this behaviour in SRU.
This has always been true, normally these big countries run out of equipment to throw at you, even with full garrisons, before they run out of manpower. I suppose this might actually be true, bar them just mass producing untrained foot infantry with basic weapons.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

Yeah it didnt work out so well for Hitler. I understand tho that putting too much limits on this will especially hurt the AI. But thats not the issue here. The issue is that the option seems to do nothing.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Rosalis wrote: Apr 24 2020 Yeah it didnt work out so well for Hitler. I understand tho that putting too much limits on this will especially hurt the AI. But thats not the issue here. The issue is that the option seems to do nothing.
Yes, even for a smaller nation, its far more effective to increase personnel spending which can lead up to 2x the number of recruits. I ended up doing this as Israel in the '49 sandbox so I could man all my units and bases and have some garrisons.

Probably having a smaller shipyard probably would have helped, but that's something for SR:NXG perhaps?
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

In almost all of my games (except the very first) - i always set that military personnel spending to the max and usually also the maintenance slider (unless i have no money) - and most important LOCK the minister from changing these.
And only then i unpause the game.

Still had enough games where i ran out of personnel, while the reserve units stockpiled.
With a full mobilization i would expect to get at least 10% of the population to be available for duty - so even a small 10M Population should mean at least 1M recruits to use a few dozen units from the reserves... well not here. Also used the minister option to increase army staff which should give a bonus to recruitment according to a comment from bg.
@Rosalis: nice necromancy
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

Thanks, devs asked about it and i delivered.

Return to “Issues and Support”