Observations: ver. 8.0.28

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Aragos
General

Observations: ver. 8.0.28

Post by Aragos »

Overall, a marked improvement in AI behavior.

USA game. Normal settings (except VH military and diplomatic transport is off). By late 1937, Japan had overrun China. 1939: Japan DoW's USSR, takes most of Soviet Far East. 7 Dec 41: I was expecting the normal "hey everybody, look, the US has a port in Midway, let's all go there and attack!" So I set up a defense in depth, like usual--subs, DDs, BBs, CVs. And no one showed up to play.

Nope, they went after the Philippines--first time ever. AI sent in surface ships and subs first; if I didn't forget about the Naval Fab there, they would have gotten in (I had a few ships that had been built there). Lots of air attacks, etc. before the transports started arriving.

Not sure what tweaks you guys did to the Japan AI, but good job!

Germany: Not so good. Finally, the UK/French/Norwegians broke in. The by-event DoWs (Greece, Yugo, USSR) just made it worse. I think the AI needs more work for Germany, and they definitely need more land fabs.

Italy: Ok, strange thing here. Germany and Italy were fighting each other by late 1941, along with being at war with pretty much everyone else...except Italy wasn't fighting France or the UK. Libya DoW'd Egypt, and I think the Italians helped, (and they were fighting the Greeks) but that's about it. Odd seeing Ger/Italy fighting.

(edited) The Winter War (USSR vs. Finland): It went off...for about three weeks. The USSR drove in and took a few towns, then both sides had a peace settlement/cease fire. WAD?

Ecuador/Peru: Still getting the peace settlement but no DoW.
Last edited by Aragos on Feb 04 2014, edited 2 times in total.
bluestreak2k5
Captain
Human: Yes

Re: Observations: ver. 8.0.28

Post by bluestreak2k5 »

Interesting, maybe China didn't get overrun in my German games because I was trading heavily with them. However, Germany did trade a tremendous amount with China before siding with Japan.

Just means that Japan should be boosted a little more imo.
geminif4ucorsair
General

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Philippines:
they went after the Philippines--first time ever. AI sent in surface ships and subs first; if I didn't forget about the Naval Fab there
Probably won't see that naval fabrication plant again, as it is not valid...Cavite Naval Yard did build some China river gunboats (IIRC) but was a general naval repair yard, as were the others in the Philippines in the 1920-30s - not shipbuilding yards, per se. As such, had recommended in
the earlier post on modifications for the U.S. shipbuilding that the site be deleted; similar function as those at Puerto Rico, Hawaii, etc.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

geminif4ucorsair wrote:Philippines:
they went after the Philippines--first time ever. AI sent in surface ships and subs first; if I didn't forget about the Naval Fab there
Probably won't see that naval fabrication plant again, as it is not valid...Cavite Naval Yard did build some China river gunboats (IIRC) but was a general naval repair yard, as were the others in the Philippines in the 1920-30s - not shipbuilding yards, per se. As such, had recommended in
the earlier post on modifications for the U.S. shipbuilding that the site be deleted; similar function as those at Puerto Rico, Hawaii, etc.
I agree as to the historical basis. For gameplay reasons, I'd leave a seaport there--so when PHI becomes independent the AI will be queued for building. Plus the Seaport will work for refits/repairs.
geminif4ucorsair
General

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Aragos wrote:
geminif4ucorsair wrote:Philippines:
I agree as to the historical basis.
For gameplay reasons, I'd leave a seaport there--so when PHI becomes independent the AI will be queued for building. Plus the Seaport will work for refits/repairs.
A Sea Port there is totally appropriate!
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

I'd recommend eliminating the land fab north of Manila as well. Leave the barracks and the military center so the AI will build a land fab at some point after independence (or conquest).

I haven't played the Philippines yet but I'm not sure their organic forces are on an OOB yet. They had a substantial (but outdated) army by 1941. When I play the USA, I usually give them some old artillery, infantry and a few frigates and airplanes.

Return to “Issues and Support”