ISSUE: December 1941 Japan DoWs

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Aragos
General

ISSUE: December 1941 Japan DoWs

Post by Aragos »

Issue: Japan only DoW's major powers (USA, UK, etc) and selected colonies (Philippines) by event in December 1941.

Discussion: This is ahistorical and limits the Japanese AI from historical responses.

Suggestion: Japan (AI) should Declare War (DoW) the following locations/nations on 7 Dec 41. Japanese colonies (all Pacific islands, Formosa) should DoW these nations and colonies as well.

--Major Powers: USA, UK, (Free) France, Australia, New Zealand, Netherlands, Canada
--Colonies:
--Philippines (US), Guam (US), Kiribati (US), Samoa (US)
--Malaya (UK), Singapore (UK), Hong Kong (UK), British India (UK), New Guinea (AU), Solomon Islands (UK/AU) and all other South Pacific islands
--Dutch East Indies (NEI), all colonies in what is now Indonesia (Borneo, etc.), Dutch New Guinea

-NOT at War: Portuguese colonies (Bali, etc.) in the region.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: ISSUE: December 1941 Japan DoWs

Post by Balthagor »

Noted.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
geminif4ucorsair
General

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Aragos wrote:Issue: Japan only DoW's major powers (USA, UK, etc) and selected colonies (Philippines) by event in December 1941.
Discussion: This is ahistorical and limits the Japanese AI from historical responses.
Suggestion: Japan (AI) should Declare War (DoW) the following locations/nations on 7 Dec 41. Japanese colonies (all Pacific islands, Formosa) should DoW these nations and colonies as well.

--Major Powers: USA, UK, (Free) France, Australia, New Zealand, Netherlands, Canada
--Colonies:
--Philippines (US), Guam (US), Kiribati (US), Samoa (US)
--Malaya (UK), Singapore (UK), Hong Kong (UK), British India (UK), New Guinea (AU), Solomon Islands (UK/AU) and all other South Pacific islands
--Dutch East Indies (NEI), all colonies in what is now Indonesia (Borneo, etc.), Dutch New Guinea
-NOT at War: Portuguese colonies (Bali, etc.) in the region.
Japanese did not DoW against France or Portugal....a Tokyo invasion of any of the Commonwealth nations...Hong Kong was first...automatically
SHOULD amount to a DoW by all members of the Commonwealth against Japan (as it historically did).
Dutch East Indies (DEI/NEI) invasion automatically results in ALL Dutch colonial areas DoW against Japan.

As for the U.S., attack on Pearl Harbor (Dec.7th) or Philippines triggers a U.S. DoW - otherwise, the relationship of war is not automatic (even if Roosevelt wanted it that way). What triggered the U.S. was the Dec 8th DoW by Hitler against the U.S. and the U.S. subsequently Dow against Japan for the PH and Philippines attacks.

Bali IS NOT Portuguese. Macau and Timor (East) were.

Keep it simple....a DoW against the Home Region, automatically results in war by all its colonial areas, and in the case of British Commonwealth members, a DoW against the offending region.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Thanks for the input. I was not in front of the game at the time, and was just trying to recall where the Portuguese colony was. If you read what I wrote in the last entry, it agrees with your post--Portugal isn't at war with Japan.

While it is ahistorical, given the Free French end up with the Pacific colonies, I'd have Japan go to war with them anyway. I doubt that the Japanese would have bypassed New Caledonia, et al, had they won at Coral Sea, etc.

Or not--either works fine with me.
notus
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Post by notus »

I just want to add altough portugal was not at war with japan parts of timor were occupied by japan and there was some guerilla fights by portuguese paratroopers with the cooperation of Australia, but there is no way (i think) off with the current engine replicate combats without being at war
geminif4ucorsair
General

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

notus wrote:I just want to add altough portugal was not at war with japan parts of timor were occupied by japan and there was some guerilla fights by portuguese paratroopers with the cooperation of Australia, but there is no way (i think) off with the current engine replicate combats without being at war
You are right - Japan did occupy both Macau and Portuguese Timor (as it was called then) - but did not result in a state of war,
as the Japanese allowed Portuguese administration to continue as it had before, somewhat like it did with the French in Indo-China (but not trying to get too detailed in that statement, as there were some cases of resistance to Japanese occupation in Indo-China also. But, it did not result in a DoW against France, though France after DeGaulle took over the Free French, did declare war against Japan ('44, IIRC) - hence, Richelieu BB serves with the British East Indies Fleet.

Return to “Issues and Support”