Some thoughts about improving it after clearing sandbox

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Some thoughts about improving it after clearing sandbox

Post by mrgenie »

Have a additional minister special for infrastructure, instead of the financial minister..

this minister can also take care of repairing (and building)

Building priorities.. User can set now which buildings to prioritize
1) oil
2) industrial
3) wood
etc..

and the user can then switch the priorities..
1) industrial
2) wood
3) oil
etc..

This also applies to new constructions..

Simply a minister who will prioritze the building progress..
first finish what's already being build..
if the industrial capacity is higher then currently demanded..
then goto the priority listing and find any currently "pauzed"
construction site to continue...

Once you get on programming this.. I'm sure more and better options will
come to mind..

Just make sure to make sure repairings are done automatically some way..
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906
Sawedoff
Captain
Human: Yes

Post by Sawedoff »

This has essentially killed the game for me. I can't play it. I spend more time resuming construction than I do doing anything else. It's aggravating.
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

Sawedoff wrote:This has essentially killed the game for me. I can't play it. I spend more time resuming construction than I do doing anything else. It's aggravating.
Ehm.. well it is annoying yes.. aggravating.. I'm not sure to call it like that, because a building that's 80% functional does seem to work .. not sure up to what percentage though.

But for example when I'm invading.. the harbor gets damaged.. but I still can use it, as long as i don't click "repair"
so it does work, although damaged.. It looks to me the rest also works.. at least up to some percentage..

Thus it is playable..
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Sawedoff wrote:This has essentially killed the game for me. I can't play it. I spend more time resuming construction than I do doing anything else. It's aggravating.
This is the challenge of playing an Early Access game. We will be addressing this for release. Currently when I play I don't repair facilities unless I need them more productive.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

How hard would it be to have some sort of on map color coding (e.g., a bright red line around a hex) to indicate locations that need to be repaired? I'm thinking some sort of flashing circle like you get when a unit has a shortage/difficulty.

For me, that would alleviate a lot of the difficulty in tracking down what is broken/where.
bluestreak2k5
Captain

Post by bluestreak2k5 »

@Aragos
I think it would be best if they simply spent the time figuring out the best way to just fix the issue. We have discussed several ideas and lots of feedback in this thread for them to look at/discuss and form their own ideas.

I see the map color thing as more of a bandaid and time consuming thing rather then just spending the same amount of time fixing it.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

bluestreak2k5 wrote:...the best way to just fix the issue...
What do you mean by "fix the issue"? There is nothing "broken" in the current version, the design was changed to have facilities not start repairing automatically. That was an intentional change. It is unlikely that we will simply revert to "everything repairs all the time as soon as it can". We determined that was also a poor design.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

We determined that was also a poor design
I would agree. I don't like the current system either but at least this way Im not spending IG's to fix things I don't really need fixed in a hurry.

It would make it easier if you could cycle thru just damaged complexes/villages/cities or cycle thru specific damaged facility types like all your MG /mid.
bluestreak2k5
Captain

Post by bluestreak2k5 »

While I've already addressed this in my first post, BG is stuck between a rock and a hard place... There is no way that I would consider clicking on hundreds if not thousands of Hexs as an acceptable solution, but having all buildings repair at once is even worse.

This entire thread has been about different possible ways to try and find a middle ground between those 2 impossible scenarios, and there have been some good thoughts on this issue.

Simply creating a map view to help with clicking thousands of hexs, and then clicking thousands of buildings is a "bandaid" approach. If we went that route, I would simply request you just make all buildings auto repair for FREE until a better solution has been found.

Even you yourself Balthagor have said yourself that you simply do not repair buildings because its not worth the time.

@Hundane, while I would like to agree with you that this isn't a top priority, it should def be a medium priority and a solution in the next 4 or 5 releases. To play as Japan or Germany or Italy capturing and damaging large swaths of territory it creates a massive imbalance in the game towards the allies. I don't even want to capture territory as Germany, I prefer just colonizing right now, but then the AI just repairs everything and soaks up all the industrial goods on the market for months or years. Plus the millions of requests for your goods.
Sawedoff
Captain

Post by Sawedoff »

Balthagor wrote:
This is the challenge of playing an Early Access game. We will be addressing this for release. Currently when I play I don't repair facilities unless I need them more productive.
I usually need them more productive. I like starting out as smaller countries, and seeing what I can do with it. Those smaller guys REALLY need that help. :lol:
Tirix
Corporal

Post by Tirix »

I am just wondering but why is the Max possible output being going down but the amount it takes to build saying the same? Is this a balance issue or trying to get it historically correct? Like where do those numbers come from? I am sure this was a hole lot of research Put into then amount of production and amout it takes to build a factory, I am just wondering the thought process behind that.
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

Balthagor wrote:We determined that was also a poor design.
I agree with you..

But most players, me included, consider the actual situation a poor design as well.

In my opinion, if you have something working, even if it's poor, don't touch it until whatever you
change will be a final "non poor" design.

so from my point of view, you changed something from poor to poor...

Not broken, but not as it should be..

I still think, since a lot of micro management is involved here, there should be some automation
method implemented.. or, if manual repair is "intended" as you write..

In other games they do tend to use pop-up windows more then SR does.. You might want
to consider a popup window for this one.. a list with all the cities and industries, etc that need
repairs.. with filters so one can show only oil, only industry, only cities, only timber, etc..

So the user then easily can work down a list, manually as intended, whenever the user feels he
has enough industry reserved for further improvements, repairs..
Tirix
Corporal

Post by Tirix »

In the resource tab under facility controls have a damaged facilities per building and able to choose how many we would like to repair at the time and a button auto repair that building type. Most of the time its cheaper and more efficient to repair x amount of damaged ones then to build a new complex and a whole facility for a little bit more production.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

mrgenie wrote:In my opinion, if you have something working, even if it's poor, don't touch it until whatever you
change will be a final "non poor" design...
That's fine for a finished product, but we're still in development. If you don't feel like suffering through "stages of implementation", don't play the game until we have a release version. Anyone who complains about partial or transitional designs in an early access has misunderstood the process.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

Netmould wrote: 8. Personally, I think other countries AI is a bit anemic - playing with very high volatility I thought there will be war "everyone for everyone". But all I've got - Europe united under Germany rule vs me. It was fun at beginning (I forgot to research any designs at all until 1941, and didn't took Poland), buf all they could do - take Odessa and Brest. After two or three years I just pushed them back all the way to Atlantic coast. Ah, another war was China vs Japan and her sattelites, and thats it. Really?

Okay, thats it (I hope that wasn't covered earlier) :).
This point I completely agree..

Also the German Campaign lacks events.. after conquering Norway.. that's it.. the campaign?
Invading the Netherlands, Belgium...
Blitzkrieg against france..
Italy should be attacking greece yes, but actually loose the invasion.. and thus the event: germany helping
Italy by invading greece..
Romania, etc..
and the biggest of all, the break-up from the Ribbentrop Molotow pact! Invading Soviet Union..
I'm missing so many important events from the German campaign..
Africa Corps, invading Lybia, etc..

also, later in the game nothing happens anymore.. that's it.. 1950.. 1955..

There should be the dutch-colonial war with indonesia (in case the dutch are still alive, as indonesia)
Japan conquering all those islands in the pacific..
Korean war
etc etc..
All those wars in mankind should be "events" triggered in the game..

Return to “Issues and Support”