Some thoughts about improving it after clearing sandbox

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Netmould
Private
Human: Yes

Some thoughts about improving it after clearing sandbox

Post by Netmould »

Okay fist I want to thank guys from Battlegoat for bringing to us this game (that and others from Supreme Ruler series). You guys are great, hope we'll see new games from you in future!
And to the points:
1. After I conquered Europe (USSR, medium difficulty), I got to manually resume construction for each building in each title. Can we have the additional button "Resume construction" at least for title (or make advisor do it automatically)?
2. Same going for your colonies (I made colony from Germany after defeating it, but they are not rebuilding for like 20 years).
3. I'm still at war with dead countries. And I can propose pease to them (well, nothing happens after that).
4. Old one (question) - what to do with my ships lost in open ocean without supplies? AI often doing this with submarines.
5. Why I can't release a country as a colony (Germany annexed Britain earlier, so when I defeated Germany and "colonized" it, I got useless British Isles as free gift).
6. Maybe I overdoing it a bit, but there's a discrepancy between military and science techs (I think science is going with faster pace).
7. Please-please-please, add the "disband" button to unit commands - its really painful to watch when my obsolete infantry unit moving all the way from Anadyr. And it can solve the problem I described in p.5.
8. Personally, I think other countries AI is a bit anemic - playing with very high volatility I thought there will be war "everyone for everyone". But all I've got - Europe united under Germany rule vs me. It was fun at beginning (I forgot to research any designs at all until 1941, and didn't took Poland), buf all they could do - take Odessa and Brest. After two or three years I just pushed them back all the way to Atlantic coast. Ah, another war was China vs Japan and her sattelites, and thats it. Really?

Okay, thats it (I hope that wasn't covered earlier) :).
PyongYang
Colonel

Re: Some thoughts about improving it after clearing sandbox

Post by PyongYang »

Netmould wrote:1. After I conquered Europe (USSR, medium difficulty), I got to manually resume construction for each building in each title. Can we have the additional button "Resume construction" at least for title (or make advisor do it automatically)?
Ahem!
bluestreak2k5
Captain

Post by bluestreak2k5 »

The repairing issue has been discussed quite commonly across the forum, BG is aware and is still trying to come up with a solution.

I offered my idea on how to solve it here:
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 70&t=22147

Basically we are all stuck between a rock and a hard place right now:
1. We cannot have all buildings auto repair immediately, it kills your Industrial goods production.
2. We cannot have a manual selection process selecting hundreds if not thousands of hexes across the world, and then manually clicking on the 1-7 buildings on each Hex.

The solution is obvious, there needs to be auto repair, but it needs to be limited in some way. My example prioritizes by building type to limit the "killing of industrial goods".
endagon66
Corporal

Post by endagon66 »

bluestreak2k5 wrote:The repairing issue has been discussed quite commonly across the forum, BG is aware and is still trying to come up with a solution.

I offered my idea on how to solve it here:
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 70&t=22147

Basically we are all stuck between a rock and a hard place right now:
1. We cannot have all buildings auto repair immediately, it kills your Industrial goods production.
2. We cannot have a manual selection process selecting hundreds if not thousands of hexes across the world, and then manually clicking on the 1-7 buildings on each Hex.

The solution is obvious, there needs to be auto repair, but it needs to be limited in some way. My example prioritizes by building type to limit the "killing of industrial goods".
Why not add a new Minister tab that would list all buildings that need repaired and being built(and sortable by type) this way it would be easier to go to one location to see what is building and decide what to allow to be fixed to not choke your economy or to quickly pause buildings if something changed and supplies are needed. Also it would need to have buttons to pause/start or scrap and able to center on the map.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Or perhaps a rebuilding by percentage (e.g., 0%, 10%, 50%, 100%) setting on a tab may work.
bluestreak2k5
Captain

Post by bluestreak2k5 »

While I don't disagree with this idea, I would love to see a "Buildings tab" where you see everything that is building, and you can pause things, etc. However, this is ALOT of effort on the part of BG to:
Design the interface
Build the interface
Test the interface
Release it to us.

And then on top of this, lets say your Germany in 1943/1944 and the UK/US are bombing every city/complex west of Berlin. Are you going to manually set these hundreds of buildings to repair?
What about when you attack the USSR and your armies damage over 1000 Hex's with buildings in them on your way to Moscow and the southeast Caucus region? Are you going to manually click repair on all those too?

"Well why not just implement a repair all button"? The game used to auto repair every building, but you never had any industrial goods then because it takes industrial goods to repair. Imagine trying to repair 100+ buildings at once on annexing Poland, your IG demand goes way above 10000 per day.

That's a lot of effort for the User to have to do to "Manage a economy" it shouldn't be that hard.
endagon66
Corporal

Post by endagon66 »

Anything they do will require those steps, and it is a bit of work but I think it would make the game easier to manage.

Instead of a repair all button why not give the new minister a slider that allows you to set how much you want him to auto repair % wise like Aragos suggested. I personally wouldn't want only a repair all button specially if I am playing a smaller country attacking a larger one.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We do have ideas to address this issue. Feel free to continue brainstorming though.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

Having a repair all button would work but if you didn't want to use up your IG's, you will then have to pause construction in each damaged hex.

I would suggest tying in the repair button to each battlezone. Players could push that repair all button for each battlezone instead of having to go thru each complex/city/village. It would also allow the player to sort dictate how much IG is being used for repairs.

Ultimately what I would like to see is the another overlay just like battlezones but be called an economic zone or something similar. The player and AI could use different buttons to perhaps control minister building, infrastructure spending, repairs etc....
PyongYang
Colonel

Post by PyongYang »

Aragos wrote:Or perhaps a rebuilding by percentage (e.g., 0%, 10%, 50%, 100%) setting on a tab may work.
There's some sense there. Do you mean a bit like the "sell x% of daily output" slider, but instead a slider to commit x% of daily output to repair of annexed/damaged structures? That'd work, wouldn't it?
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

PyongYang wrote:
Aragos wrote:Or perhaps a rebuilding by percentage (e.g., 0%, 10%, 50%, 100%) setting on a tab may work.
There's some sense there. Do you mean a bit like the "sell x% of daily output" slider, but instead a slider to commit x% of daily output to repair of annexed/damaged structures? That'd work, wouldn't it?
Yes. Seems to make sense to me. Maybe another slider below the sell price slider; "IG to Repair Missions", 0-100%
PyongYang
Colonel

Post by PyongYang »

A separate slider for each annexed territory maybe? I feel like we're opening a can of worms here....
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

no, I don't see how that would work at all with the current GUI. You'd have to make it more like the current sales % slider but covering the % of IG used to repair.
bluestreak2k5
Captain

Post by bluestreak2k5 »

Ok here is why I think all of your ideas would not actually improve things and would still end up with the IG goods being killed problem.

I am taking the most extreme example here, but it will be a place of great fighting no matter who you are. It is the Blue battlezone in the Rhineland that extends into Belgium. This is the most developed battlezone I could find, it also happens to be somewhere where there will be massive amount of bombing and fighting involved which means repairs.

It has the following buildings with Industrial goods value:
30 Village 50,000 IG
6 Industrial Complex 5,000 IG
9 Small Village 20,000 IG
25 Coal Mine 17,095 IG
5 Timber 1,600 IG
4 Goods Mil 75,616 IG
7 Goods Ind 33,972 IG
8 Goods Con 18,360 IG
29 Power Coal 16,438 IG
5 Barracks 4,273 IG
9 Town 115,000 IG
4 Agriculture 1,450 IG
3 Small Town 80,000 IG
2 Goods Ind Mid 3,400 IG
2 Goods Mil Mid 7,600 IG
1 Goods Con Mid 1,800 IG
1 Research 31,164 IG
2 Mil Complex 10,000 IG 10,000 Mil Goods
1 Land Fab 19,232 IG 2,465 Mil Goods
1 Air Field 2,100 IG 400 Mil Goods

These results in a Grand total of 4,707,686 Industrial goods and 12,865 Military goods.

This is starting in 1936, and Germany/Belgium will build tons of building in this battlezone, making this worse, but ignoring this!

Now assuming Your France or Germany, the march in either direction will result in at least 10% damage across a lot of these, most likely more... but for simplicity sake we will say 10% damage across 100% which results in 470,768.6 IG and 1,286.5 MG damage.

Now Germany starts with a IG production of 3,000. with only about 1800 per day to spare. Now if we have a repair button for each battle zone, you have now added a demand of 470,768.6 Total IG and Germany only produces 1800 extra. Your daily IG rate demand would probably look something like 47,000 per day (assuming 10 days would be needed to completely repair. SINCE all buildings repair at the SAME RATE it would take 261 DAYS for this battle zone to be completely repaired 100% dedicating 100% of your spare IG to repairing. This equals Industrial Goods = DEAD, you wouldn't ever be able to build anything period for almost a year.

Now a slider option for you to control % of repairing... ok % of what? I'm assuming your total IG production. If you dedicated 10% of your Total IG (300) It would take 1569 Days to repair everything in this one battle zone. This assumes that you haven't had anything else damaged in any other battlezone.

If your playing Germany you triple the size of your country in about 12 months from 1939 to 1940, conquering Norway, Denmark, France, Poland, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, plus any other country you conquer in this time, this results in at least 10% damage across at least 10 other battlezones, thousands of buildings. Now your IG production per day is somewhere near 6k to 8k per day with all this new territory, but since you are spending 600 to 800 IG now over 1000+ buildings, you would never actually fully repair all of these buildings, possibly for the rest of the GAME! This is because the game repairs all buildings at once, and the 600 to 800 IG is spread over every single building resulting in less then 1 IG per building per day.

Now a seperate Slider for each annexed Territory:
What is an annexed Territory, you can't release countries like France once Germany has conquered them, so it would be 1 for most of Europe going against Germany. The best option for this Idea would be 1 slider per LOYALTY group, however again, trying to repair Germany LOYALTY group which would include close to 1000 buildings, would literally take forever.

Now all of these options have opened a can of worms that will result in many complaints about buildings not repairing, etc because you never would see any progress EVER. Maybe 1% a year per building.

NOW my idea:
Buildings per building category all repair at once, with all production buildings coming at the top of the list. Thus all Large Military Goods Large repair at once, then all Mid Military, Then Large IG, Mid IG, Small IG, etc etc.

This means 10% damage in this one battlezone across all would look something like this:

30,400 Total demand for 4 Large Mil Goods = 3,040 per day for 10 days. Industrial GOODS not killed... Technically would take 20 days at 1800 max possible in year 1936.
1,520 Total demand for 2 Mil Goods Mid = 152 per day for 10 days. Industrial Goods not killed... Technically could even build other items, or stockpile.
23,780 Total demand for 7 Large Ind Goods = 2,378 per day for 10 days. Industrial Goods not killed... Technically be about 13 days at 1800 max possible in 1936.
etc
etc
etc.

AND you see progress immediately, but will only see progress on production buildings at first. On top of this there is no design/no UI, nothing needed except for a code change on BG's part because it auto repairs. They could technically implement this by next patch.

The only other option is limit it to a maximum number of buildings to repair at once... but how do you create these 10, 20, etc number of buildings to repair... you would have to create a list somehow of repair order adding in memory storage requirements.

The final other option I see is a BUILDINGS TAB where you can click repair on buildings... however now you introduce the user (which causes errors) and you still have to manually click repair, or build some sort of auto repair into this. Imagine having to constantly go into this menu to repair all the buildings that UK and US are bombing in Germany... annoying and a daily requirement... and users will likely repair all buildings at once leading back to the original problem... KILLING INDUSTRIAL GOODS.
Tirix
Corporal

Post by Tirix »

I know its a lot but all I would really need is just a list of all complex and the buildings on them where can I resume construction per complex(a repair all facilities on a complex button) and per facility. with a filter with for "In Construction"(anything not fully built) And i can do it myself, maybe add a continental filter and/or a choice to filter for a facility

But i also really like bluestreaks idea, where you would have the minster do it prioritizing deficient resources starting with goods having a bar that is percent goods of production go to construction, that goes up to 500% of production on a logarithmic scale (like the trade bars) so i have that option to economically destroy myself for faster repairs.

I know all of those things are hard to put in, just what i think is the ideally best case.

Return to “Issues and Support”