testing smaller countries

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Zuikaku
General
Human: Yes

testing smaller countries

Post by Zuikaku »

New update has arrived. And with this update I plan to test smaller countries. The first one will be Ireland.
The goals will be to build economy and army.
Military plan is to try to annex Northern Ireland when WW2 starts in Europe (it is kinda backstabbing, but it is a good plan).
Progres report will follow :-)
Please teach AI everything!
number47
General

Re: testing smaller countries

Post by number47 »

Just make sure you report that progress in AAR section, not here :wink:
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

number47 wrote:Just make sure you report that progress in AAR section, not here :wink:
It is really not real AAR, just list of issues & problems found playing the game :D
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

So, the Irish treasury is really low and resource production is not good. But playing smaller countries provides bigger challenge :-)

I set main goals: achieving self sufficiency in electricity, coal, ore and food production. That seems hard to do given very limited cash available. I disabled the bonds , raised taxes and decreased social spendings. Luckilly , League of nation gave me nice amounts of money - multiple times. So, I've managed to buy expensive IGs and finished all I need. Economy seems to work correctly.

The research - well, given available cash I do not do any research. It is well beyound Irish financial capabilities. And that is realistic.

Army - well, I need to prepare some army for the upcoming war. I planned a few arty units, some AA guns, maybe a tank batallion, some fighters for protection and couple of subs and destroyers for limited naval striking power. And here is where the problems started.
Yes, Ireland is unable to order units or buy units needed. In 2 years gametime, there were unit trade offers (situation is much better than in SRCW), but that is not for much good if you need fighter planes but are being constantly offered by patrol planes. Or cavalry. Or troop transports. And there is no way you can tell the world what you need. AI also seems to offer you the same units you rejected before - all the time.
So, that is still the biggest problem I found while playing Ireland.

Can't wait to see how the war will look after the latest fix :D
mfisher12
Lt. Colonel

Post by mfisher12 »

Zuikaku wrote:Yes, Ireland is unable to order units or buy units needed. In 2 years gametime, there were unit trade offers (situation is much better than in SRCW), but that is not for much good if you need fighter planes but are being constantly offered by patrol planes. Or cavalry. Or troop transports. And there is no way you can tell the world what you need. AI also seems to offer you the same units you rejected before - all the time.
Can you counter-offer? Or is it as I suspect and those other countries don't even list fighters on the sale menu?
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

mfisher12 wrote:
Can you counter-offer? Or is it as I suspect and those other countries don't even list fighters on the sale menu?
You can counteroffer in a way that you can remove some of units from their offer. Unfortunatelly, you can not in any way add any new unit to the offer. And you can not offer goods, techs or unit designs instead of money. AI accepts money only |O

So, I'll go to war with UK armed only with Airco DH.9s, and without AA units. That would be great show :D
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

And there is no way you can tell the world what you need.
If you could tell the world what you need, what type of units would expect to be offered ?

Newest
Oldest
In between- how long ?

How many units should the AI region have before it should sell units ? How many in reserve?

Should an AI sell units if at war or gearing for war?

How many units should it sell at one time?

Should AI regions sell to opposing sphere AI or ideologies?

Should AI regions sell designs that to you that you don't have the Techs for ?

Should there be a no sale list. Such as NBC weapons. (also like the F-22 export ban)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Please answer the above questions in this thread
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Hexes in North Ireland have "North Ireland" loyalty? Shouldn't they be split between loyalty to UK and Ireland?

So ,for example, Londonderry should have irish hey loyalty and Belfast UK hex loyalty....
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

- when Yugoslavia falls, Croatia is formed. Problem is that it includes parts of Hungary and Austria...

- AI tends to build motorized engineers as the primary infantry type

- Never seen peace negotiated between AI countries

- Germany and it's allies always declare war on USSR (and everyone else) right on historical dates. They do this even if their armies are severly depleted or the war in France is still not over. To maximize the stupidity - Germany declares war on USSR even in situations when French and British are fighting in suburbs of Munich, Hamburg or Berlin. |O

- and hungarian Su-152s swarming all arround in 1940 are :D

- impossible to obtain any unit when the war starts. It should be harder than in the peacetime, but not impossible....

- Cruisers and battleships are overpowered when bombarding entrenched infantry units. A single, unsupported CA or BB can very fast completely destroy stacks of entrenched infantry and artillery. Heavy ships should be able to desroy/damage facilities, wreck towns, disrupt, damage and lower entrenchment levels of ground troops, but they should not be able to completely clear the area of ground troops.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

After operation Barbarossa starts, Romania becomes german colony...
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

What status do Hungary, Bulgaria and Slovakia have?
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

MK4 wrote:What status do Hungary, Bulgaria and Slovakia have?
Axis sphere independant countries...

Update... but not any more.
Somehow now they all became colonies of Germany....
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

In all of my games so far, I have noticed that all major regions are lagging in research (compared to historical timelines). But I do not see this as something serious, since they are all roughly at the same tech levels....
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

My latest campaign as Iraq is an excellent example how you can influence outcome of wars by economical means. I like that, this part of the game is well done!!
So, I expanded my oil industry as much as possible. When the war broke out, I supplied axis powers with oil. I also made huge profits by re-selling them rubber bought from Brazil and UK. By maintaining constant flow of oil, industries of Italy and Germany did not have any shortages of industrial goods. And they just stormed everyone - from France and low countries to (huge surprise) USSR. Funny thing is that Italy managed to annex USSR.
Germany also successfully invaded and eliminated UK. I'm glad to see a lot of Guerilla activity all over the Europe, but they are just too weak.
So, what are the problems I have noticed so far in this game:

- inability to buy any units. In 7 years of gameplay I managed to obtain only 1 battalion of Bt-5 tanks. Iraq have money, Iraq have powerfull friends - and yet it is utterly unable to buy any military hardware....

- French colonies in Africa. After the France falls, they just become France. British colonies ,on the other hand, gain independance when UK falls (which I consider more realistic).

- worldwide shortage of MGs even in the peacetime. Maybe MG factories really need their capacities rebalanced...

- European minor Axis powers becoming german colonies after Barbarossa

- Finland always gets destroyed in winter war

- Japan is just to weak. And by that I mean really, really weak. In 5 campaigns I've played so far, it declares war on China and is unable to do anything. It is unable to create any foothold, and to be worse - even colonies of Japan lose territory to Chinese!

- declaration of war that does not make any sense! Why on Earth would Japan declare war on USA if it is being kicked out of China??!! Only because it is December 7th '41 ?? There should be some conditions on historical events.
E.G. If Germany annex the Poland, than it can DoW low countries. If France falls, than it can DoW USSR... and so on....

Return to “Issues and Support”