Land combat AI is fascinating!!

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Zuikaku
General
Human: Yes

Land combat AI is fascinating!!

Post by Zuikaku »

And so, WW2 started and Germany invaded Poland. I expected AI to do many stupid things but ,honestly, I am pleasently surprised.

AI now actually covers territory! [_]B
AI tries to employ both armour, Arty and tanks at the same time :o
Cities are extremely difficult to take - as it should be :D
Objectives which can not be stormed are actually flanked and encircled :P
When French entered the war I expected German AI to collapse - but it did not. It actually moved some reinforcements from Poland (where still fights were going on). So, AI is now fully capable of fighting multiple fronts (or we all hope for that).

Germany actually managed to throw French and British out of the Ruhr.

So, what needs improving??

- Give us selective unit trade :D
- fix phony war so it is really phony
- if you manage to fix carriers and naval warfare (and some other annoying things - like lack of selective unit trade or hyperproduction of battleships only :evil: ), this game is going to be just perfect

Anyway, someone in your team did a great job programming combat AI :-)
Please teach AI everything!
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Re: Land combat AI is fascinating!!

Post by Ruges »

My complaint is they did not model in Germany's Blitzkrieg tactic. It also shows the issues with garrisons.

However it appears to be a nice improvement over 2020. And the main AI issue for me currently is its lack of resources to make an effective attack.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Ruges wrote:My complaint is they did not model in Germany's Blitzkrieg tactic. It also shows the issues with garrisons.

However it appears to be a nice improvement over 2020. And the main AI issue for me currently is its lack of resources to make an effective attack.
The AI still lacks coordination. Or to be able to wait for units to mass, topp with fuel and supplies and then launch major offensive with large unit stacks. AI still tends to do uncoordinated attacks with small stacks of units. But it is way better than anything seen in SRCW which is encouraging :-)
Please teach AI everything!
DenisG
Lieutenant

Post by DenisG »

Ruges wrote:My complaint is they did not model in Germany's Blitzkrieg tactic. It also shows the issues with garrisons.

The blitzkrieg issue is basically covered because you have a lot of units moving by feet at slow speed and this is why these historical encirclements are possible here as well. However, there were not that many to be honest. The term itself became legendary due to the fast movement through fragile Polish lines in 1939 and then the Ardennes push to Sedan in 1940 in France, where the German divisions only faced one Allied mechanized brigade and this were able to sweep through the lines. Already in early 1942 during the push to Moscow the tactic went blank with the encirclement of German forces at Demjansk.

The main tactic behind it is the spearhead with strong armor pushing through the first front line and motorized infantry following up to protect the flanks to build a channel or a turtle head like Churchill called it. This main characteristic is I think already well covered in the game as we all know what happens when you push in and leave too many hexes uncovered for a supply line…

Cheers,
Denis

Return to “Issues and Support”