Artillary OP?

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Artillary OP?

Post by Ruges »

Figured I would start a thread here about artillery and if its OP or not. I am still debating if they are OP or not. As it is now I do consider them one of the strongest units in my Italian army. They move faster then infantry, hit allot harder then any other unit (and do AOE damage). 2 arty will ravage an entire stack of infantry before those infantry can close in. especially if those 2 arty have 1 infantry in the stack to absorb the assault of the infantry.

basically if you put a stack of infantry in a defensive hex, then place a stack of arty in the hex behind them, and then a stack of supply trucks behind that. You can rush infantry towards those frontlines all you want, and they wont make it.

So are they OP? They are powerful, but in RL are they not the same?
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: Artillary OP?

Post by mattpilot »

i agree with ya. Though i'm not sure if its just because the italian starting units are crap.

In the ethiopia campaign, ARty is clearly OP. What you describe is also what i observed.

The question though is why are regular infantry so crap compared to arty.

One point being - Speed. As you stated, by the time infantry advances 2 hexes to reach the artillery, the infantry is already ready to retreat. The other point being - Low Defensive values. Early units just have so low defensive against bombardment, they can't help but be blown to pieces.

So.. as technology advances and units become mobile and have better defensive values, arty will surely play less of a roll (remains to be tested). But as it is now, especially in the early war, Arty is to powerful.

Proposed solutions?

1) early arty has weaker attack / no AoE (or generally modify AoE in some way)

2) early infantry higher defensive values against bombardment
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Post by mattpilot »

btw ... nice attempt ;-)

Code: Select all

<iframe src="http://store.steampowered.com/widget/73220/8916/" frameborder="0" width="646" height="190"></iframe>
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

im pretty sure the soldiers on the battlefields of that period felt they were OP as well... :wink:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Infantry advancing over open terrain gets slaughtered by artillery. Overpowered??

Infantry advancing over open terrain against defending infantry supported by artillery gets slaughtered. Overpowered??
Really?! What did you expect? Why were the tanks invented??

If tanks were slaughtered by artillery on open terrain, then I'd be worried. Or if artillery is massacring doug in infantry defending "close combat" terrain....
Please teach AI everything!

Return to “Issues and Support”