Steam questions

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Zuikaku
General
Human: Yes

Steam questions

Post by Zuikaku »

So, I was foolish enough to preorder the game through Steam. I know I'll be sorry for doing that (using Steam) and I have couple of questions:

1. Where is my installation file? It is installing directly from Steam? What if I reinstall my OS? What if I can not reconnect to Steam?

2. Do I need to be online all the time to play the game (that is kinda intrusive)??

3. What if I want to install SR1936 to my secondary PC (laptop)? Can I do that or am I now condemned tho the main gun battery... errr PC :-)

4. Is patching going to be as painfull as in SRCW (when using Steam). Since I remember that Steam users coul'd not patch regularly...

5. I really do hope that I'm not stuck with Steam version now :-(
Please teach AI everything!
Hullu Hevonen
General

Re: Steam questions

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

1. 2. 3. 5.
Go to x:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common
Copy the file to where you please and run the game

4. Not according to my understanding now when BG is self publishing and Paradox is out
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
magiclight
Warrant Officer

Post by magiclight »

So, I was foolish enough to preorder the game through Steam. I know I'll be sorry for doing that (using Steam)
I can only echo your own thoughts, it's nice to know I'm not as tied into it as I thought but honestly. Why didn't BG let me buy it direct from them and save the commission they paid steam for themselves? /shrug
I'm someone who's avidly awaited this release, so put up with whatever system they wanted to use (Yes, I made a kickstarter account for you guys also).

But will others feel the same way? I would not count on it.

magic
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Hullu Hevonen wrote: Go to x:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common
No install file here. Only unpacked game. Maybe it will run on the secondary PC if copied....

Thanks for the help :-)
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Well you guys are negative, I just gave you the solution :P

So if you hate steam, then don't use it. Plus in my opinion steam is actually a good platform for Supreme Ruler since it allows early access and has other benifits talked about in previous threads
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... ilit=Steam
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Hullu Hevonen wrote:Well you guys are negative, I just gave you the solution :P

So if you hate steam, then don't use it. Plus in my opinion steam is actually a good platform for Supreme Ruler since it allows early access and has other benifits talked about in previous threads
I just hate third parties and appss needed to be run only to run another app (that can function perfectly well without "mediator").
What I want is my installation file, my serial and no "allways to be run" Steam...
I just don't like it. I was forced to use it now, but I'm not happy at all with that and will try to bypass it as soon as I figure out how....
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Zuikaku wrote:
Hullu Hevonen wrote:Well you guys are negative, I just gave you the solution :P

I just hate third parties and appss needed to be run only to run another app (that can function perfectly well without "mediator").
What I want is my installation file, my serial and no "allways to be run" Steam...
I just don't like it. I was forced to use it now, but I'm not happy at all with that and will try to bypass it as soon as I figure out how....
As of now you just need steam to install and udpate. After that you can simply create a shortcut to the .exe and launch it that way with or without steam running. :wink:

As george pointed out in a previous thread on the subject.. that may change depending on how much they decide to integrate steam. But as of RIGHT now there is no need to run steam after installing it.

As to putting it on a second PC.. you could just as easily install steam. log on and let steam install it.. same way. Steam doesn't limit the number of installs just that only 1 person can be logged into the account at a time. If you reformat or get a new PC or w.e as long as your steam account exists you have your copy. I'm not exactly a steam fan boy but given the current market for PC games can't blame them for using it.
Last edited by Fistalis on Dec 07 2013, edited 2 times in total.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Fistalis wrote: As of now you just need steam to install and udpate. After that you can simply create a shortcut to the .exe and launch it that way with or without steam running. :wink:
So, no need for Steam running?? That is not too bad :D
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Zuikaku wrote:
Fistalis wrote: As of now you just need steam to install and udpate. After that you can simply create a shortcut to the .exe and launch it that way with or without steam running. :wink:
So, no need for Steam running?? That is not too bad :D
Correct that was the first thing I checked. :wink:

To be more specific on your questions..
1. steam installs it. Check your library in steam and click play and it should install it if its not already installed.
2. No
3.See the post above.. you can install it via steam on as many PCs as you want.. but only 1 account can be logged into steam at any time.
4. Steam will likely be the primary patching method this time so NO
5. Maybe maybe not.. we won't know til BG hashes out the exact details internally.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

I don't really have much to add to the info above, thanks everyone for the answers.

In the past few months Steam have been great to work with, and all the previous problems about getting patches and updates out have been resolved. It is now actually easier for us to release an update through Steam than it is to use our own non-steam update system.

As pointed out, Steam is not required to be active to run the game at the moment, though you need to run steam to install and update the game.

We do understand that some people desire a non-steam option when we release, and we'll make sure to have options for people. For the time being, distribution through steam provides us with the greatest flexibility for the beta/early access process.

-- George.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

After a few days of being out of power, I came back online to find out that SR1936 had been "early access" on Steam. I debated for awhile about waiting for the game to come out or getting Steam.
Im not a big fan of Steam. I don't like the Big Brother type of feeling it has, I don't like idea that I have to have their stuff on my machine. However, I decided to bite the bullet and download Steam to play SR1936. Not sure why, I don't have the time to play computer games as much as before and that puzzles me as well. Im not sure why I don't have the time, where does it go, I guess Im getting old.

Long story short. Steam aint so bad so far. I still don't like the Big Brother aspect, you know things like keeping track of your play time. The one thing that did really impress me was when the new update came out. I didn't do a thing, I hit my play SR1936 from the desktop and it started my game with the new version. To me that's Gold, I always hated the download this , move this file, extract this etc.... Truth of the matter, I played the new update before I realized there was a new update.

So there it is.... I play on Steam. Ill probably keep playing on Steam, meaning I think I might check out some other games that I put on the "not gonna play list due to Steam". Not sure why, still trying to figure out where all my time is going.

Anyways there it is, I wont recommend Steam to those like me who don't like the intrusiveness etc... But it aint so bad. At least not so far.

Return to “Issues and Support”