France Falling even when its about to defeat Germany

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

SGTscuba
General

France Falling even when its about to defeat Germany

Post by SGTscuba »

Playing 1936 sandbox.

In my game I sat and watched the European powers fight it out. Germany managed to do fine up until it declared war on France. The UK and France pushed Germany back to Poland, and so the Germans moved their capital to Warsaw. Then all of a sudden Frances turns into Vichy and the Germans have the upper hand despite being almost defeated.

Therefore I think that the event for it must be broken and should be tied to Paris falling perhaps, rather than just being done on a specific date. Has anyone else noticed this?
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Re: France Falling even when its about to defeat Germany

Post by Ruges »

yea I am into Nov 39 and France is pushing into berlin. This almost might be considered realistic. France could have been more aggressive with Germany, However its doctrine at the time was to sit behind the magonet line. (it did fire arty off a few times here and there as a show for the paper).

As for game mechanics there is probably no way of holding back the French army from attacking a weakened German line. But watching the French blitz was kinda funny. Also one of the things that caused problems for Germany was they where out of oil. infact most of the world was having issues with oil supply. (I suspects its because they all move their units around constantly burning oil. till the run out and create shortages).
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Well I did not have that issue.

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

At this time there is no way to hold back the AI, we are considering how to model the "phony war".
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:At this time there is no way to hold back the AI, we are considering how to model the "phony war".
How about AI declaring (or not declaring) war to Germany after 6-7 months? That would be delayed declaration of war thus giving time Germany to finish off Poland unmolested...
Please teach AI everything!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

It needs condition checks added to the events. There are lots of events and condition checks still to be added.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

OPPPPSS spoke to soon. Even with Germany defeated. France has fallen to Germany via the venichy event. Although there was a few interesting events before that happened. LoN nuked LoN, and France broke 3 cease fires with the LoN. Guess WW2 is back on track.
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Post by mattpilot »

ugh.... events "guiding" the game are the downfall of any 'sandbox' game.

anyhow... to add a useful suggestion:

Perhaps this can be guided via the "Aggressive" level of each country? Or maybe create a new index/value for it. Basically the less "aggressive" (or "more neutral") a country is, the less it cares about foreign lands.

So applying this to france, it would have a low aggressiveness (or high neutrality), it would be reluctant to move outside of its own territory, despite having a more powerful army.

To make this value Dynamic and also work in Sandbox games, it should raise or lower based on enemy action. The more france gets attacked, the higher its aggressivelevel goes (or lower its neutrality level) and the more its willing to leave its own territory. (instead of "territory", tie it to "culture").

Also allow this value to be manipulated via spies (*essentially your manipulating public opinion). Ergo - being germany, you would send spies to france to keep their levels low.

Perhaps call this new variable "retribution" index... i dunno - drawing a blank atm :-)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The new system can condition check a few different conditions in each of 25 areas. We can test for France having lost certain key areas AND German troops in an area AND at war with both Italy and Germany as limiting factors. The problem is the permutations on the combinations. You could spend all day setting conditions to check for an alternate results when the expect action doesn't happen. It's massively powerful but equally complex and it becomes a matter of knowing when to stop.

Focus so far has been on having the historical events trigger when they should if everything is going historically. We're still adding stuff...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

I'd recommend having all Events turn off in a Sandbox game. Make the normal SR1936 scenario a game "with" Events, and the Sandbox version "without." That might help.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Aragos wrote:I'd recommend having all Events turn off in a Sandbox game. Make the normal SR1936 scenario a game "with" Events, and the Sandbox version "without." That might help.
I strongly support this or at least make an option in sandbox for player to select if he wants to play with historical events or not.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Ruges wrote:OPPPPSS spoke to soon. Even with Germany defeated. France has fallen to Germany via the venichy event. Although there was a few interesting events before that happened. LoN nuked LoN, and France broke 3 cease fires with the LoN. Guess WW2 is back on track.
^this too, forgot to mention this
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
magiclight
Warrant Officer

Post by magiclight »

Now an option (In sandbox) is better. So we, the player, can decide how we want to play, yes, yes please.
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

it would be simple for them to have a sandbox with the scripted events and without the scripted events. However you will have to realize that playing without the scripted event will mean it does not play out like history.
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Post by mattpilot »

Ruges wrote:However you will have to realize that playing without the scripted event will mean it does not play out like history.
You will find that 'sandbox gameplay' is the very definition of that :-)

Return to “Issues and Support”