Unit Errata - Ho 229

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Jakt80
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Unit Errata - Ho 229

Post by Jakt80 »

Hey there, I just had a look at Ho 229, and it appears it may have a faulty fuel load. The information I've read about the Ho 229 lists it with a fuel capacity of 3000 kg, however the aircraft in game has 180 fuel with 18 unit strength, giving it 10 fuel each, now if this is US liquid barrels, it gives the Ho 229 ~1192 litres of fuel. I'm having trouble finding a proper weight on jet fuel in general and ww2 jet fuel in particular, but seeing as petroleum is 0.75 kg/litre, diesel and kerosene both weighs 0.8 kg/litre, it's about a third shy.

Now I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just wondering if my calculations are right, and if anyone knows what german jet fuel of the time (brown coal-derived J2, most likely) weighs.

Oh yeah, the unit picture is off aswell, being a me 163 in the pic, but i hope that's just a placeholder.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Unit Errata - Ho 229

Post by Balthagor »

Our notes have 7.25 Barrels per Metric ton. Have you got a source for the 3 tons of fuel value?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

For that aircraft, it might be best to use the B-2 for the unit mesh. (If its not much work, maybe re-color the mesh to grey instead of black; that way, it could be used for the YB-35/YB-49 as well or the H.XVIII.)
Jakt80
Lieutenant

Post by Jakt80 »

http://www.scribd.com/doc/102288479/Hor ... -Thuringia On pages 42-43 it states that the intended fuel amount (for the armed V3 version) was to be 3000 litres in the wings, around 2500 kg (not 3000 kg, my bad) and intermediately (while waiting for the fuel-proof glue) they were to use 8 metal tanks holding 2400 litres (~2000 kg).

The further reduction in fuel capacity was due to the BMW 003 engines not being redily availible so the Horten brothers had to make due with Jumo 004 B-1 engines which were larger, forcing them to increase the wing span which led to thicker wing sections and requiring more ballast which reduced the fuel capacity of the unarmed V2 version to 2000 litres / 1700 kg (p.54)

This was intended for replacement, so the question is what version we'll have, a prototype, or the proposed full production aircraft using the best materials possible (presuming a Germany able to produce this must have strayed from the historic path) =)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

... or a third version, the "best we can make currently" design. I suppose since it was never completed we can't actually be "wrong" :)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Jakt80
Lieutenant

Post by Jakt80 »

Absolutely, and since it was never completed, it's easier to balance. And on a side note, if you have the time and will, that book (and other sources) also includes proposed statistics and performances for other types of the same family (Horten flying wings) namely an intercepter, a long range heavy bomber, nightfighter variant, etc, and I suppose could be made as later fictional (but based on real proposals) versions for post ww2 designs.

You know, whatever you need to make it a plausible alternate history ;)
geminif4ucorsair
General

Re: Ahistorical designs

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Jakt80 wrote:And on a side note, if you have the time and will, that book (and other sources) also includes proposed statistics and performances for other types of the same family (Horten flying wings) namely an intercepter, a long range heavy bomber, nightfighter variant, etc, and I suppose could be made as later fictional (but based on real proposals) versions for post ww2 designs.
Already available are a host of alternative and future designs in the mid- to late-40s period, including a range of both German and Japanese aircraft designs that were either in prototype or considered future aircraft for 1946-49 period (mostly), that includes fighter,
reconnaissance, bomber, and even night fighter designs.

Hope BG takes them from the work copy mdb. :-)

Return to “Issues and Support”