Back to SR and wondering what to buy

Whether you are new to the forums or a long time contributor take a moment and introduce yourself. What games do you play? What versions of Supreme Ruler have you played? Welcome to our forums!

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Anthropoid
Colonel
Human: Yes

Back to SR and wondering what to buy

Post by Anthropoid »

Hey folks,

Some of you may remember me; I was pretty intensively active on the forums a year or more ago. I guess I got a bit burned out on SR 2020 and SR Cold War and stopped playing the games.

Recently got a brand new gaming rig set up so I've been going through all my old CDs and online game retailer accounts, reinstalling old favs. Fired up SR 2020 a bit past couple days and already have Egypt up to a growing power in 2022.

So apart from saying howdy, my main reason for this thread is to ask: will I be "wasting" money if I buy SR 1936 _and_ SR Ultimate?

You Battlegoats are one of my favorite studios, so my preference is to buy everything you've made, that I will actually play. I'd happily buy both SR 1936 and Ultimate if you tell me that there is enough difference between the two that it isn't basically the same game in two different titles. I mean I already own Cold War and 2020, so on those obviously its all good.

My understanding is that SR Ultimate allows the player to start in 1936 as pretty much any nation, and play through the entire 20th century and as much of the 21st as SR 2020 allows (which I assume is technically limitless). So what does this mean exactly? Did you take SR 1936 and smush it together with SR Cold War + SR 2020? so that effectively someone who was new to your games could buy Ultimate and effectively own all of them? Or is it more like, "you took the main features from all the other titles and used them to redesign a game that blends all the time periods together?
Fistalis
General

Re: Back to SR and wondering what to buy

Post by Fistalis »

Anthropoid wrote:
so that effectively someone who was new to your games could buy Ultimate and effectively own all of them?
Pretty much this.. only you get to play the old scenarios with the new engine updates and features.
As to buying 1936 and ultimate.. yes it would be a waste of cash just grab ultimate since Ultimate and 1936 have the same features but Ultimate includes the 1936 scenarios + most of the old scenarios from CW and 2020.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Thanks Fist!
MrRipper

Post by MrRipper »

SR:U contains modern scenario's but with worse economy. I have warnt you.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Been playing it a bit. Seems nice but DAMN! this UI is way too big. I'd almost prefer the SR2020 look and feel over this. Too much wasted space on the screen. When you have all your control panels open, you only got about 1/3 of your map showing!
GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by GreenGoblin »

Anthropoid wrote:Been playing it a bit. Seems nice but DAMN! this UI is way too big. I'd almost prefer the SR2020 look and feel over this. Too much wasted space on the screen. When you have all your control panels open, you only got about 1/3 of your map showing!
I think it was designed with HD monitors in mind.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

I appreciate that the development of a game that could span over a century of history required some things to be redesigned. But having played a lot of SR 2020 and a good bit of SR CW, I have to say: this User Interface is a step in the wrong direction.

Where is the "Facilities" tab on right-clicking cells!?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Welcome back.

Others have mentioned preferring SR2020's UI, but no one can really tell me why. In one of the threads, I actually demonstrated that it is essentially the same GUI;

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 0&p=160395
Anthropoid wrote:...Where is the "Facilities" tab on right-clicking cells!?
Holy cow, I had completely forgotten that! SRCW didn't have a land dept so that function got removed. No one had yet asked for it back. I'll ask about it...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

GreenGoblin wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:Been playing it a bit. Seems nice but DAMN! this UI is way too big. I'd almost prefer the SR2020 look and feel over this. Too much wasted space on the screen. When you have all your control panels open, you only got about 1/3 of your map showing!
I think it was designed with HD monitors in mind.
You are correct. Everyone who hates the UI size (aka those who are forced to run at low resolutions) can blame it on me since it was primarily me complaining i could barely read anything when running SRCW @ 1080p. While a scalable UI would have been prefered the development time required to completely redo the whole UI system to provide it wasn't costs effective. :wink:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Aiigghht, I've adapted to the hugiferous UI blocks on my screen (thanks a lot Fistalis! :evil: ) . . . I was a bit drunk the other night and fiddling with my monitor . . . I somehow changed some setting and my monitor did not like it one bit. Only thing I could get it to display was "Unsupported Mode." Course I lost the remote controller in the move from Massachusetts home to Atlanta so that made fiddling with the settings on the monitor even more annoying. I could get my desktop to showup if I booted the machine in safe mode, but never did see an option for VGA Mode. When I changed the screen res in safe mode and then reboooted it was right back to whatever resolution it was that the Monitor couldn't display.

I finally just did a system restore to a few days back. Had to resintall SRU but other than that not a big deal . . . So all that said: the issue of screen resolution "tweaking" is a bit delicate for me at the moment. But I do seem to have tolerable settings now.

Native on this 32" Sharps computer monitor seems to be 1024:768 (1.33 ratio) and that is what I generally run it at; my "work" station is a lazy boy with the screen sitting on a 18" tall cabinet thing just in front of me. So my screen is about 6' from my face pretty much, so too high of pixel density and I'll need binoculars (and more so as the years go on). But I can run it at 1280:960 without too much squinting.

So I got the game at the closest res to that 1280: 800 I think it was . . . better than 1024:768, but my hesitancy to screw myself up by choosing an "unsupported" resolution and my old eyes make me hesitant to go much higher than that.

So I've been playing Germany (normal difficulties across the board and with bonds on but otherwise pretty much default Campaign settings) pretty intense last night and today and seem to have got past the first year of economic hardship. I've bought back the ~$800M or so in bonds I had issued, and have the baseline techs that you need for a healthy economy going. Not sure what my first move will be, but I'm leaning toward an early strike on either Czech or Poland and then after the Anschluss going after Italy if I'm not already at war with all the Free World Powers. I'd like to have Mediterranean beach front property for winter holidays . . .

Nice game Balthagor! You guys really have done the strategy gaming world a great service with your games! :-)
Balthagor wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:...Where is the "Facilities" tab on right-clicking cells!?
Holy cow, I had completely forgotten that! SRCW didn't have a land dept so that function got removed. No one had yet asked for it back. I'll ask about it...
Yeah, I've got used to just opening the gigantic Land tab when I want to see the details of a cell or work with it. But I used that right-click facilities thing a LOT in SR2020.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Game is running fine for me at 1920 x 1080 and the size of the UI seems MUCH more reasonable. I am squinting a bit, but maybe its good to give the old eyes a bit of a workout :lol:

Return to “Introductions”