Proposed: Better map

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Proposed: Better map

Post by Kristijonas »

How about a better map for SRU? It could be a simply better satellite image, no need for 3D terrain for it. Modern computers can easily draw huge textures no problem. I find that the current map quality is a little lacking in terms of detail and sharpness. If the current map is accurate enough then there would also be absolutely no need to move and adjust current hexes and cities. Easy tweak for a much better game experience?
Nerei
General

Re: Proposed: Better map

Post by Nerei »

You know for starters it might help to not use jpg's ^_-

Seriously I agree it could be nice to have a prettier map, if for no other reason than the screenshots on the storefront are not the best at selling the game.

The question though is what it would do to memory usage. It is a lot of maps that would grow larger and I suspect it is beyond BG's resources to create a new one.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

A better question would be what would it cost to get a "better map". I can't imagine we could ever recover that expense.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Just curious, what exactly would need to be paid for for something like this? I thought there quality satellite maps that are 'open source' and free for all to use as they please? Even Google Earth is probably open source. And that implementing a new map would be as simple as resizing and copy pasting the new texture into the game?
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Kristijonas wrote:Just curious, what exactly would need to be paid for for something like this? I thought there quality satellite maps that are 'open source' and free for all to use as they please? Even Google Earth is probably open source. And that implementing a new map would be as simple as resizing and copy pasting the new texture into the game?
That sounds simpler than it probably is. The time and effort spent making corrections for anything out of alignment, cities or rivers now in the wrong place, ect. It would add quite a few new potential issues they'd now have to fix when there's really nothing wrong with what's being used now.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I think we're using the open source at the highest resolution available. When you zoom out to a certain distance, we do replace the high rez tiles with one larger lower rez image, but it seems to be the close in zoom that you're thinking of.

I agree with W2C
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Are they in another format then .jpg? Using another format might help on some of the blurriness.

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”