DLC Suggestion: UFO invasion

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

DLC Suggestion: UFO invasion

Post by Kristijonas »

Just a thought :)
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Re: DLC Suggestion: UFO invasion

Post by GIJoe597 »

Please, no... just no.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Why not? Anything's better than a WW1 game :o

Oh wait, tastes differ, tc, forgot that.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

BGs shoul'd do real remake of UFO-enemy unknown.
Please teach AI everything!
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I got carried a bit away, sorry in advance.
I think creation of such a scenario needs to be done very carefully to avoid a few problems. That said there are some fundamental problems that most likely cannot be overcome.
For starters there is the problem of the AI not considering the alien invaders to be anything different from another region. To AI Trump Xarxlu'thrab'dhurib the overlord of Tau Ceti and pretender to the galactic throne is no different than DPRK's Kim Jong Un.
Sure we might write it off with Trump just wanting to strike a good deal with Xarxlu'thrab'dhurib but in reality if Xarxlu'thrab'dhurib went on a conquest spree and ended up owning all of Asia on top of proclaiming total Hegemony over Earth on open TV while at the same time eating the head of Xi Jinping Real life Trump really should see the writing on the wall. The AI Trump however will not.

Then there is the problem of the technological gap. Any civilisation capable of travelling between the stars will be far, far more advanced than anything they will face on Earth. A fight between a T-14 Armata and a great war Mk. VII is extremely likely be far, far, far more even than a T-14 vs whatever Xarxlu'thrab'dhurib might have that most closely resembles a tank. Honestly any kind of scenario be it games or movies that deal with early 21th century humans fighting off a determined and prepared alien invasion is just plain stupid. Imagine an anthill fighting off a flight of stealth bombers dropping thermobaric weapons on them. Humanity winning is sorta like that.
Humanity always wins using some stupid deus ex machina and honestly and for all I care it can just go jump into a black hole and stay there!

That is not to say you cannot write a scenario where humanity is not more equal to the invaders. You just need to be very careful when doing so as you basically have to balance things like initial strength with longevity of the invaders. Also properly explaining why Xarxlu'thrab'dhurib does not just get on the radio and calls in 37 motherships to obliterate every single capital in the world as soon as things does not go exactly to plan seems fairly critical. Should he lose lose why he does he not just drop a few mountain sized objects from the Oort Cloud in Earths outer gravity well and watch the fireworks as Earths gravity makes them slam into the surface at around 10km/s creating the 6th great extinction event in the history of advanced life and almost certainly killing of humanity (I am assuming you do not consider humanity itself to be the 6th extinction event that is).
Saving you all references to say strange Japanese games personally I would find that throwing something like a crashed Warhammer 40K Tyranid ship at humanity would be more interesting as it is easier to argue why they are not all 2000 hard/soft attack and allow them to rapidly grow in strength without having to have a massive initial strength. Also it is probably easier to explain why they do not call in 37 motherships to help them.

Anyway enough of me rambling about this. I am not going to say it could not be interesting but getting it right is going to be hard and if not it will just be a new region with strange vehicles and balancing problems.

Personally I think this would be most likely to happen as a fan project so maybe if BG releases a map editor at some point.
Zuikaku wrote:BGs shoul'd do real remake of UFO-enemy unknown.
There pretty much already is one, it is called OpenXcom. It is an open source remake of the original with quite a few new features. Personally I recommend this over the original as it is basically the original just better.
Then there is Goldhawk Interactives Xenonauts which is also somewhat close to the original than Firaxis "improved" version.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Kristijonas wrote:Just a thought :)
Actually had started development of a mod exactly like this.. just never got very far into it. Was a rather simple concept... use the already high tech units etc already in the files.. different leader head etc. Could easily be done well by a modder..not to the level of BG of course but it's possible.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”