Paid Full Time SRU Development

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

golden.pole
Captain
Human: Yes

Paid Full Time SRU Development

Post by golden.pole »

I'm a bit out of the loop. The last time I heard the BG Team stopped working on games. If that's still the case. We have to do something about it. After all, the entire BG Team created a fantastic game and over the years they improved it tremendously. We now have a strategy gamer dream come true. Seriously, BG, no other game comes close in terms of complexity, real world simulation, missile bonanza and military fun.

I'm not sure if there is any BG team left, but we have to save this dying project. Would funding this game help assemble a new team (professional developers and volunteers under the old team supervision) ? Can we fund it through donations? Maybe at least another sequel? Or at least new major features? I definitely need the ability to pay other nations to go to war for me or the ability to pay other nations to make peace with other nations. Features like that would add more fun.

Is there anything the community can do to get the project back on track?
.....[]......
..IIII[]III...
.....[]......
.... []......REPENT and BELIEVE the GOSPEL.
Leafgreen
Colonel

Re: Paid Full Time SRU Development

Post by Leafgreen »

+1.

Or perhaps an SR 2030 is in order, with an all new cash purchase for it.
"That's O'neill, with two l's"
(Holds up 3 fingers)
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

I'm hoping for SR1900 (or slightly earlier) so we can go from the Pre-dreadnaught era. Hopefully with more of a focus on improving colonies and naval aspects of the game for better fleet cohesion given the size of fleets back then.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Personally I agree with going into the past is probably the better move. The further you go into the future the more unpredictable things become.
The 2020 scenario already have several problems with military hardware etc once you move away from the west (there might also be some there but I am not knowledgeable enough about them) and by 2030 we will have the problem of a lot of new equipment having sent a good portion of the 2020 equipment into reserve or the scrapyard.
World leaders will also be unpredictable enough that we might as well ask the magic 8-ball.
Not saying I have anything against it but it will require constant updating to keep it as accurate as possible and at least initially will probably feel quite generic. Also I suspect research will be a lot harder.

That said if BG wants to get the community engaged economically the best option would probably be to just create a patreon account.
It is fairly fast and easy compared to say kickstarter without the possibility of a campaign failing and it has the benefit of being long term commitment. It also looks better than "send money to this bank account" and is significantly cheaper than "just buying another copy of the game". Valve takes 30% Patreon 5% plus handling fees. Then you got the option of deciding how much to commit.

It is however quite unlikely to fully finance development but it is a good gauge of community commitment and if all else fails it could still be free coffee at the office.

Other than that one thing the community can do to improve the game is mod it. If we get the map editor like they are planning building strange and crazy scenarios will be much easier not to mention it can cover IP's that will never be touched officially (say SR Middle Earth will probably never happen except if fans make it). Even without that there are still options for modding. Naturally modding can only take it so far but an active modding community certainly adds to the longevity of a game and thus value.
merlinx_at
Captain

Post by merlinx_at »

... or maybe they fix just some smaller and maybe 1 or 2 big Bugs after all the Time
... give a little more Information Ingame (there a many things which needs just a little description or show some essential and correct number's)

... and the game will be a lot more accessible for "softer players" and even better for the existing fans?

Just my 2 cents :)

greets
SRU 9.0.73.1 (Steam) / W7Pro-64 eng
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Going back in time definitely feels like the winner to me too. I'd love to see a game from around the 1900 period with a major naval expansion to the game. Naval improvements are on my wishlist in general and I'd love to see the diplomatic side of things expanded. My biggest request is that if they do an earlier game, that they try and find a way to have the map update itself over time to add the resources from the late game maps. The WW2 map has far fewer resources such as oil than the cold war and modern maps do which can make super late games tough to supply ballooning populations. I know games that go 50+ years are always going to have their balancing issues, but it's always going to be a wish of mine that it would be possible to do. Of course releasing a map editor addition to the game would make it possible for us to edit our maps the way we want them to be anyway which can go a long way to reducing the amount of work you guys have to do to map alterations yourself. User mods seriously free up soooo much developer time on those smaller details, so the more mod friendly any future game is, the better. <3

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”