Dead end techs.

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Ozi
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Re: Dead end techs.

Post by Ozi »

i posted sth similar somewhere else. Basically a lot techs seem to be a leftover from the Early Access and never got any Content/effect. Probably due to a rushed release if you ask me. If someone tells me this is WAD i will laugh loudly :)

So please:
a) make every tech useful for sth, like the Flak Towers
b) get a correct effect description for every tech like gaining of unit designs...
number47
General

Post by number47 »

We, or most of us here, are not saying every tech should have effect but that the last one in that branch should have, otherwise, there is no reason to research it and therefore no need for it to exist.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
dax1
Brigadier Gen.

Post by dax1 »

number47 wrote::D Here you go:

"Propaganda Machine"
Public opinion of project: Indifferent
World opinion of project: Strongly opposed
Completion bonus: NONE
Infrastructure costs up to +5%
Education costs up to +2%

No benefit whatsoever :lol:
it's ok...but how in TTRX file? how the 13th value??
the 13th is Public opinion
the 14th id World opinion
Con forza ed ardimento
Indecisive
Warrant Officer

Post by Indecisive »

Not only are a lot of dead-end techs useless, but many of them actually impart negative impacts. I've had to lock out the minister from research out of fear he might research some of these. The ones that come to mind are the end of the genetics tree (some of which gives you a big approval loss for playing god, but no bonuses to compensate). There's also that aren't totally negative, but mostly negative, like commerical robotics one, which gives around +12% infra cost but only 2% infra bonus
Routing garrisons can be frustrating, but in a good way. Like trying to open a carton of ready-made custard for your rhubarb crumble, knowing that the rewards will be all the sweeter for the effort.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Benefit: increased dislike from other regions which is factored into provocation making wars more likely.

And yes, these are partially there for those who wish to role-play their nation.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ozi
Lieutenant

Post by Ozi »

Role Play their Nation :)? I say they are there because you didnt have the time to properly fill them with Content :)
Not even me, who tries to buildup Germany as historical as possible, will Research Flak Towers or AT Rockets :O
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Balthagor wrote:Benefit: increased dislike from other regions which is factored into provocation making wars more likely.

And yes, these are partially there for those who wish to role-play their nation.
*Throws a molotov at BG offices for such a lame excuse.*

Creating normal effects with cons and pros for all technologies (or in some cases only for dead-ends) would take only a few hours of one mans work. This is what I never understood about this developer. Spending months on trivial issues while something that scratches the eye and is -very- easy to fix, gets no attention.
I guess it's it's a cultural different of some sort? 8_ Some weird philosophy of the developers group?
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Kristijonas wrote:Creating normal effects with cons and pros for all technologies (or in some cases only for dead-ends) would take only a few hours of one mans work. This is what I never understood about this developer. Spending months on trivial issues while something that scratches the eye and is -very- easy to fix, gets no attention.
:lol: :lol:

I presume you never tried to make tech tree which would be needed for one to track all the dead end techs...easy indeed :lol:
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Kristijonas wrote:...Creating normal effects with cons and pros for all technologies (or in some cases only for dead-ends) would take only a few hours of one mans work...
This could not be farther form the truth. Define normal? What percentage should be assigned to the effect used for each tech? And then EVERY tech that has the effect added should be tested for balance to confirm the right percentage was assigned. Then EVERY region needs to have its economic balance checked in case a tech is screwing it up. Then ALL aspects of combat have to be checked for balance. There are ~775 techs. If we added effects in one shot to, say 350 of them, and 100 are for military, then find that the military balance is screwed up, which one do we adjust? So balance has to be tested after every few get added. That means exporting files, rebuilding a cache, and starting to test everything again.

Just ask the modders how "easy fixes" go...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Okay, maybe not that easy after all :P Especially now that the economy system has already been established and balanced.
Ozi
Lieutenant

Post by Ozi »

speaking of the 775 techs... in most of my game it Comes to to several dozens you are in real "contact" with... probably not hundreds. So basically the most important should be overworked somewhat. 775 is a fine number but you could add a thousand more with no effect, like "Platin Can opener" or "purple beer bottle"....
vahadar
Colonel

Post by vahadar »

Ozi wrote:i posted sth similar somewhere else. Basically a lot techs seem to be a leftover from the Early Access and never got any Content/effect. Probably due to a rushed release if you ask me. If someone tells me this is WAD i will laugh loudly :)
Probably unfinished tech tree, but some are also present since SR2020 or CW, like the propaganda one.
Balth said somewhere else that the late war units werent all implemented yet.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Kristijonas wrote:I agree.

I will use the opportunity to suggest to have fluoridated water supply tech deleted, as it forces the country into something that is -not- a sign of scientific advantage. More and more advanced countries quit fluoridation as a method that has unproved effects and is certainly not the best method. After it is researched, the country in game can not go back, which is unrealistic.

"...Plans to add fluoride to water supplies are often contentious. Controversy relates to potential benefits of fluoridation, difficulty of dentifying harms, whether fluoride is a medicine, and the ethics of mass intervention... Out of 3200 research papers, results were inconclusive... Fluoride is feared to increase bladder tumor risks... Water fluoridation plans have been withdrawn or planned to discontinue in Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, Japan, Switzerland, Finland... alternative strategies are more and more often used..."
Sorry about mistakes, couldn't copy-paste from a good pdf article.

P.S. Fistalis, shouldn't you be working on MW :P
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercol ... 79833.html
http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/13130- ... toxin.html

Reputable sources quoted by reputable medias. Yet we still have water fluoridation tech giving only great positive bonuses. I think it is even a prereq for other techs?

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”