Update individual units

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Domgraz
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Update individual units

Post by Domgraz »

Hi, I'm an avid player of your Supreme Ruler 2020 and can not wait to get their hands on the new SR1936! I wanted to ask you to implement a function in the game for what concerns the units.
Would it be possible to submit a feature that allows you to update individual units?
You could do so to upgrade units to new vehicle models that gradually took over in the game thanks to technological advancement. Naturalemente must be replaced by units of the same kind (tanks with tanks, etc..) This leaves the same values and the experience gained by the same name if possible varied by the user.
This thing is already happening in Hearts of Iron III.
It would be a useful thing for people like me who organizes the units of battalions and divisions.
Thank you.
Zuikaku
General

Re: Update individual units

Post by Zuikaku »

+1

But I'm aware that is just a wish...
Please teach AI everything!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

This is indeed a feature that has been on our wishlist since SR2010. Some minor back end work has already been done but it's impossible to say at this time if there will be development resources available to allocate to this.

This is only my opinion, not that of the studio, but I see this as something more likely as a feature to add in one of our updates post-release (which are free). We always roll out a few extra features post release.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
BareJag
Warrant Officer

Post by BareJag »

I'd like this to be added too.
dax1
Brigadier Gen.

Post by dax1 »

I like it
Con forza ed ardimento
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

To offer perspective on this design idea, it has an existing ticket number. Ticket 1226.

Yes, 1-2-2-6 :)

Now, consider that we have thousands of users playing the early access and only 5 of us are discussing this so far. But feel free to keep posting, I am tracking the responses.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:To offer perspective on this design idea, it has an existing ticket number. Ticket 1226.

Yes, 1-2-2-6 :)

Now, consider that we have thousands of users playing the early access and only 5 of us are discussing this so far. But feel free to keep posting, I am tracking the responses.
What does ticket number mean? Priority? Or something else?
bluestreak2k5
Captain

Post by bluestreak2k5 »

Just going to repost what I had posted in an obsolete thread:

Upgrading units should be handled as it takes a spot in the production queue. If you want to upgrade that unit you can't produce another unit in that slot.

A few modifications:
20% of new units construction time
Can only upgrade units in the same class, for example, upgrading all Panther IV to Panther IV-A
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

The only benefit I can see from upgrading units is saving their experience levels (and kills). And that is a bit questionable. Also, I'm against from upgrading ships, since crews of the ships tend to be broken up and redistributed to other vessels.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Zuikaku wrote:What does ticket number mean? Priority? Or something else?
We use an internal project management utility that assigns ticket numbers to everything. It's our attempt to stay organized.

And I did say "attempt".
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
PleXD
Sergeant

Post by PleXD »

bluestreak2k5 wrote:Just going to repost what I had posted in an obsolete thread:

Upgrading units should be handled as it takes a spot in the production queue. If you want to upgrade that unit you can't produce another unit in that slot.

A few modifications:
20% of new units construction time
Can only upgrade units in the same class, for example, upgrading all Panther IV to Panther IV-A
While I agree that Infantry class units should have the ability to upgrade I would really question the validity of upgrading Mechanical units.
While you can upgrade the technology in Cars, trucks, ships, planes etc the chassis will ultimately stay the same.
So as the above post mentions it would have to be purely class and model upgrades and if that was the case then is it really something that would be useful?

If it was more than that it would be like saying I will just pop my Mazda 1300 into the shop to get it upgraded to a Mazda MX5. Not much if any of the Mazda 1300 would be useful in the new Mazda MX 5 so essentially you are creating a new vehicle.

So if there is going to be useful upgrades:

- You nominate a unit to be upgrade.
- It uses a production queue slot and takes just as long as with would normally take for creating a new unit.
- Minus about 25-50% of unit value of the old unit in the construction of the new unit
- Plus you keep 50-75% of the experience of the old unit.
bluestreak2k5
Captain

Post by bluestreak2k5 »

Since me are going for historical units, then no upgrading from a Panzer I to a Panzer IV shouldn't be possible, the same with airplanes.

I guess that leads to a couple of issues when it comes to Infantry, Artillery, anti tank units. Infantry you can simply give new guns and new clothes and they would be a "new unit". Artillery and anti tank units you basically replace the whole piece to upgrade the tube and range, so should this even be possible?

As for is it even worth it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_IV

"The Ausf. A was protected by 14.5 mm (0.57 in) of steel armor on the front plate of the chassis, and 20 mm (0.79 in) on the turret. This was only capable of stopping artillery fragments, small-arms fire, and light anti-tank projectiles."

The latest version from F2 to J had 80mm frontal armor and side armor was increased to 30mm.

US main tank:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_Sherman

USSR main tank:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-34

So yes, it should be relatively easy to upgrade a "mechanical" unit as the Chasis stays the same, you simply remove the Turret and Engine and upgrade them.

I will even go a step further and show you hows its done today in the real world:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/213606#i0,p0,d0

If that link doesn't work:
http://www.hulu.com/ultimate-factories
Watch Episode 2, which is all about the M1A1 tank and how the USA has not built a single M1A1 tank in about 2 decades, we simply keep refurbishing them and rebuilding the turret/engine.

Being able to upgrade from a Panzer I to a Panzer IV would be impossible, and the game doesn't break them into groups like "light tanks", "medium tanks" etc, they are all just tanks. So we couldn't even realistically say you can upgrade a Light tank to another light tank.

As for planes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_87
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire

Both of those very well known planes went through massive changes relatively easy by simply redesigning flaps/wings/engine. The Chasis never changed allowing mass production to continue.

Also I think the experience should 100% stay when you upgrade, that shouldn't change.
Domgraz
Sergeant

Post by Domgraz »

I'am very happy that my idea is liked by a lot and that has generated an active discussion.
I realize that there are difficulties. 8O

I believe that , given how the game is set , there are two possible ways forward :
1) Or do you update all units of the same type , which will make it feasible to switch from Panther The Panther IV even though in reality we are talking about two mediums are completely different . The first was a " light tank " the second a " heavy tank ". However, this option would follow the speech upgrade " tanks " with " tanks ", " infantry " with " infantry ", etc. .
2 ) Or you updates allow limited to the evolution of the individual means. Let me give an example, in SR2020 , there are three types of MBT Ariete ( CI Ariete , Ariete II and Ariete III) could make it possible to update only between these types of units that are historically accurate. Even in World War II were realized different versions of the Panther III (A, B , C, D , E, F , G, H , J, L, M and N) that changed for armor , engines , weapons, etc. . This option is already somehow expected from the game (at least in SR2020 ), because the file is already specified DEFAULT.UNIT new unit which it replaces (ex. in the file you specify that the Ariete CI is replaced by the Ariete II which in turn will be replaced by the Ariete III ) .
Personally I think the latter is the best solution. I ask you to think about the individual units , not so much as a simple technological means , but more like battalions/squadrons .
I agree with those who say that must be preserved at all levels of experience, units killed, and so on. In World War II it often happened that the vehicles were changed directly in the operating theater not giving the unit a chance to return to his homeland to follow a specific training to the new machine.
Yes, maybe just for the naval units could be useless upgrade.
Von Thoma
Warrant Officer

Post by Von Thoma »

.... hi there,
the word "upgrading" units makes no sense in my opinion,

what I would prefer is that I am able to give my "Elite Tank Crew" new equipment ...
so I have to build the new one as normal and after that I could exchange both crews with a command, should be easy to program ...
after that I could do what I want with the old equipment, keep it, scrap it or sell it ... use it as cannon fodder :-)

I don't like the idea that my Elite crews have to stay in their old equipment.

Hope at least that simple solution could find it's way into the game
THX
Domgraz
Sergeant

Post by Domgraz »

Von Thoma wrote:.... hi there,
the word "upgrading" units makes no sense in my opinion,

what I would prefer is that I am able to give my "Elite Tank Crew" new equipment ...
so I have to build the new one as normal and after that I could exchange both crews with a command, should be easy to program ...
after that I could do what I want with the old equipment, keep it, scrap it or sell it ... use it as cannon fodder :-)

I don't like the idea that my Elite crews have to stay in their old equipment.

Hope at least that simple solution could find it's way into the game
THX
I believe that this procedure is technically difficult to implement in the game. :-?

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”