Sug. Carries for allied plane

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

dax1
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Sug. Carries for allied plane

Post by dax1 »

?+ ?+ as you see the ability for carriers to be able to be used as a base of supplies for allied planes?
Con forza ed ardimento
Zuikaku
General

Re: Sug. Carries for allied plane

Post by Zuikaku »

dax1 wrote:?+ ?+ as you see the ability for carriers to be able to be used as a base of supplies for allied planes?
I do not like that idea.

Historical examples where this was done regularly and on the large scale?
Please teach AI everything!
geminif4ucorsair
General

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Zuikaku wrote:
dax1 wrote:?+ ?+ as you see the ability for carriers to be able to be used as a base of supplies for allied planes?
I do not like that idea. Historical examples where this was done regularly and on the large scale?
If I understand the idea.....
HMS Unicorn, British light carrier served in WW2 as a supply and repair ship for British Pacific Fleet units, as well as in Korea.
It was a fully operational CVL as well, but was not used in that manner.

IT is in the mdb work copy for inclusion in the game as an operational light carrier (CVL).

However, I agree, that while some of the USN CVEs may have acted at Ulithi Atoll in '45 in a near similar role, they retained their Air Group for operational purposes and therefore prefer this option not see daylight.
dax1
Brigadier Gen.

Post by dax1 »

Zuikaku wrote:
I do not like that idea.

Historical examples where this was done regularly and on the large scale?
I don't know if this has happened or is happening now in real life, but if for example an RAF plane needs fuel in the middle of the ocean, I do not think that a U.S. aircraft carrier nearby not give help supplying the plane.

------edit--------
maybe I wrong but I remember that in SR 2020 my air tankers could resupply allied air..
Last edited by dax1 on Feb 11 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Con forza ed ardimento
Kellick
Captain

Post by Kellick »

Something I've tinkered with:
I made carriers and oilers (any cargo ship that is not meant to carry troops) generate a tiny amount of supply (and cut their cargo capacities).

Throwing this out as a suggestion, since it would accomplish this (in theory anyway) it also makes them act as actual supply ships and missiles can be reloaded, repairs conducted, etc. (again in theory, I tried this out a while ago and I forget the results...lately I've picked up an old game I started last 2020 patch unmodded and have been playing through that again)

It's definitely something that needs more testing to see if it is actually good for game balance or not.
geminif4ucorsair
General

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

dax1 wrote:
Zuikaku wrote:
I do not like that idea.Historical examples where this was done regularly and on the large scale?
I don't know if this has happened or is happening now in real life, but if for example an RAF plane needs fuel in the middle of the ocean, I do not think that a U.S. aircraft carrier nearby not give help supplying the plane.
In general, it did not happen, except in individual or pairs of aircraft, across the 1944 and beyond period. There were no examples that I know of where British and American squadrons cross-decked (thats the term), and none of individual incidences during the Okinawa Campaign (Apr-May 45) in which British Firefly or Seafire landed on U.S. carriers, or vice versa. Certainly not seen in photographs. In the case of US naval carrier aircraft, they were directed to land ashore, if damaged or low on fuel. Will do some looking for photos, but don't remember any Seafire's landing on US carriers during the '45 campaign.

The only possible event [Edit: checked....NOPE !] might have been with USS Saratoga (CV-3) operating with the British Eastern (Indian Ocean) fleet, 1944. I know the aircraft were all US types - Avengers, Hellcats, Dauntless. [Edit.: Air Group 12 was embarked....all US Navy (VF-12, etc.).]

In modern times, from time to time, various USN or British F-4K Phantom IIs did cross-deck for no more than a few hours or day - not what were considered operation deployments, much less a squadron of aircraft. The purpose was inter-allied cooperation and to test the differing navies equipment and systems, not to fly operational missions or refuel (supply).

In SR-terms, you are saying that one Ally could operate squadron-sized unit from another Ally (they would have to be!)...such as a French squadron deploying onboard a British carrier, say bound for Indo-China. Just unlikely.
BareJag
Warrant Officer

Post by BareJag »

This would be quite annoying if there are allied planes on the carrier when you need the space for your own planes. Just take a look on some crowded forward airbases when you need them and you might understand...

Sharing supply from ships to allies would be another matter, but it should be possible to turn it of if it would be implemented.

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”